• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Introductions - Smudge and Tia from RSPCA Walsall

tammybunny

Young Bun
25ku6ox.jpg

wi4r5.jpg

Just thought I would introduce to these little cuties, I collected Smudge and Tia earlier today and they seem to have settled into their indoor pen and started exploring their new space - yay! They've been munching on a bit of hay but seem to have turned their noses up at the pellets. Is this normal for new bunnies - I'm hoping that they are just too excited to eat their pellets?

25ku6ox.jpg

wi4r5.jpg

Just thought I would introduce to these little cuties, I collected Smudge and Tia earlier today and they seem to have settled into their indoor pen and started exploring their new space - yay! They've been munching on a bit of hay but seem to have turned their noses up at the pellets. Is this normal for new bunnies - I'm hoping that they are just too excited to eat their pellets?

They are beautiful :love:

Are you giving them the same food they had at the R.S.P.C.A.?

They are beautiful :love:

Are you giving them the same food they had at the R.S.P.C.A.?

I am indeed - I was given over some food by the fosterer for the changeover. They've started digging it out of the bowl - I'm guessing eating out of a bowl offends them and they prefer the scatter approach.

I am indeed - I was given over some food by the fosterer for the changeover. They've started digging it out of the bowl - I'm guessing eating out of a bowl offends them and they prefer the scatter approach.

Ah, well hope they are eating some of it at least!

Perhaps they need a little settling in time .. first the bowl .. then the whole room :shock::lol:

:love: Hello babies.

Thank you so much for giving them their forever home :)

I wouldn't worry too much about them eating pellets, hay is much better for them, I'd keep their pellets to an absolute minimum. Look forward to lots of lovely updates, they really are an amazing pair of bunnies :love:

:love: Hello babies.

Thank you so much for giving them their forever home :)

I wouldn't worry too much about them eating pellets, hay is much better for them, I'd keep their pellets to an absolute minimum. Look forward to lots of lovely updates, they really are an amazing pair of bunnies :love:

No worries - they're so adorable. I'll keep you updated on here again soon I'm sure.

I've given them the amount Dawn suggested but they don't seem that interested... hopefully they'll eat lots of hay overnight.

Does this mean if they don't eat all the pellets that is still okay?

No worries - they're so adorable. I'll keep you updated on here again soon I'm sure.

I've given them the amount Dawn suggested but they don't seem that interested... hopefully they'll eat lots of hay overnight.

Does this mean if they don't eat all the pellets that is still okay?

They are probably settling in, as long as you see them eating hay and they are pooing they will be fine :) :love: If they don't eat all of their pellets offer them in smaller amounts, I know they have been fed museli all of their lives and we've only recently changed them onto pellets which was a huge task as they weren't interested, but it is so much better for them in the long run :) x

They are probably settling in, as long as you see them eating hay and they are pooing they will be fine :) :love: If they don't eat all of their pellets offer them in smaller amounts, I know they have been fed museli all of their lives and we've only recently changed them onto pellets which was a huge task as they weren't interested, but it is so much better for them in the long run :) x

Oh there's plenty of poo - squidgy ones that they like to stomp on... that was a fun thing to wake up to.

I'm guessing there are lots of soft ones because they're not eating enough hay? Popped out this morning to pick up son bunny supplies and have fed them some fenugreek crunchies - I'm hoping that this will encourage them to eat more hay. Bless them, I think Smudge really wants his muesli back!

Foster Mummy here!

Hello there! Dawn here! Smudge and Tia's last foster mum!

Getting them to eat pellets has been a game. They have ignored them whenever I first put them in their hutch, but then they were always gone in the mornings. To encourage them to eat more hay, I did not put the pellets in a bowl, but hid them in their hay rack. They both seemed to like having a good rummage to find them. That could explain why they are now digging them out of the bowl?

Their sticky poos this morning are probably because they were out on the lawn munching grass before you collected them. As long as they return to normal today they should be fine.

Any problems or worries just give me a call!

Dawn

p.s. Don't worry if they are not eating the pellets. Some vets recommend no more than 1 egg cup full or 1 tablespoon a day or as a treat only. They can survive on hay alone with a few greens/veg here and there to supplement vitamins. Muesli is bad because they will eat it rather than the hay. Much better that they eat the hay but leave the pellets. They did seem to enjoy some special Burgess Excel Dandelion and Marigold hay that was donated by a friend recently. I think they must have expensive tastes!!!

Last edited:

Getting them to eat pellets has been a game. They have ignored them whenever I first put them in their hutch, but then they were always gone in the mornings. To encourage them to eat more hay, I did not put the pellets in a bowl, but hid them in their hay rack. They both seemed to like having a good rummage to find them. That could explain why they are now digging them out of the bowl?

Their sticky poos this morning are probably because they were out on the lawn munching grass before you collected them. As long as they return to normal today they should be fine.

Dawn

p.s. Don't worry if they are not eating the pellets. Some vets recommend no more than 1 egg cup full or 1 tablespoon a day or as a treat only. They can survive on hay alone with a few greens/veg here and there to supplement vitamins. Muesli is bad because they will eat it rather than the hay. Much better that they eat the hay but leave the pellets. They did seem to enjoy some special Burgess Excel Dandelion and Marigold hay that was donated by a friend recently. I think they must have expensive tastes!!!

Hi Dawn

Oh that explains poo city this morning. They've been so good with their litter tray today I know now to not let them eat too much grass - poor buns. Yes I scattered some in their pen, and the others I left in the bowl, which they completely ignored. I'll try hiding them in the hay rack but Smudge keeps climbing into it for little naps...

Brilliant, if they can survive on minimal pellets that's fine - I was just worried they wouldn't get all the vitamins and nutrients. They're eating quite a bit of hay whilst I type - probably because they are soooo hungry (I took the pellets that didn't eat last night away from them). I also bought them some readigrass which they seem to like - do I need to ration the amount I give them, I'm a bit worried about the squishy stinky poos.

Update

Dawn

Just a little update on Tia and Smudge (now renamed Bambi and Ronan) I let them out of their pen into my flat for the first time last night. They are super happy and all settled in their new home. Smudge is a little reluctant to have a little runaround on the laminate so he sticks to the rugs and his pen but Tia loves exploring the living room/kitchen and loves jumping up onto the sofas. I've even seen her binky a few time so I'm sure she'll lose the extra weight pretty quickly. I'm so glad I adopted these two as they really are the perfect pair of house bunnies :D

2d7ykpt.jpg

Back