• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Memory loss???

dasiychain

Young Bun
Does anyone know whether or not a rabbit forgets their owner?? Silly question but minute Lucy is fine and the next she's scared of us and runs away thumping?? We will have her a year in December and she's neutered and has a companion neutered biscuit?? I'm not sure what to do as she will eat treats out our hand and jump on us and then 3 hours later she's scared of us? She's an Indoor rabbit as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's more likely that she's not realising it's you she's running away from. Possibly some vision or hearing impairment and you are startling her, or could you be doing something that effects your scent (if you're close when she runs away)?

Can you think of anything that links the different way she reacts, for example does she always run when you walk into the room suddenly or she's been napping?

If I'm honest it seems to be a mixture of things? Like if she's awake and I sit down next to her she"ll get up and look like she's about to run away. Or if she's laying down and I walk anywhere near her she runs away. Of it can be if I'm stroking her she looks petrified? But the day before or an hour or so earlier or later she"ll be fine??

How is she about being picked up - that's the other thing that can be a trigger for some bunnies. They see you do something they think means you might pick them up and run off quick.

You could try having a verbal signal that you're about to approach/interact with her - it can be a noise or phrase "Hi bunny!". I click at Scamp (like you do cats) and sometimes if something startles him me clicking will be enough to halt the panic - it's sort of a 'hey, it's just me' signal.

Rabbit's tend to react quickly to a noise or movement rather than taking a moment to work out if something is really a threat/scary, so giving them pre-warning something is going to happen but knowing that signal means it's not a bad thing, can help. It might take a few times for the association to build up :)

How is she about being picked up - that's the other thing that can be a trigger for some bunnies. They see you do something they think means you might pick them up and run off quick.

You could try having a verbal signal that you're about to approach/interact with her - it can be a noise or phrase "Hi bunny!". I click at Scamp (like you do cats) and sometimes if something startles him me clicking will be enough to halt the panic - it's sort of a 'hey, it's just me' signal.

Rabbit's tend to react quickly to a noise or movement rather than taking a moment to work out if something is really a threat/scary, so giving them pre-warning something is going to happen but knowing that signal means it's not a bad thing, can help. It might take a few times for the association to build up :)

Good advice. I use a phrase in a comforting tone of voice so one of my rabbits doesn't run away thinking it's danger ..

She's fine when we pick her up but catching her is a problem. But she's a long hair so we have to groom her a lot and she knows when I'm cleaning their house out she gets groomed so she runs and hides cos she knows it's coming but she's fine til she sees the brush lol. But I just walk in the room and she's scared. And it's the same with my partner. It's really weird cos in July I moved to my nans for 6 weeks and I shared a room with them, their free range and they slept on my bed and ran to me when I called her name but we moved to Germany nearly 2 months ago and one day she's running to me and I mean jumping on my head while I'm asleep lol and when I call treats she runs to me but then something changes and she gets scared and runs away even though nothing's changed. We've never hurt her or shouted at her or anything? With our other rabbit biscuit the amount of times he's run in front of me and I've accidentally kicked him he's fine and loves me lol

Back