• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting Females

Hi bunny lovers!
I recently got a new Polish rabbit named Precious. She and my other rabbit share a run outside that is divided in half by chicken wire. This morning I put them in the run and after a while they were fighting. Talulah (the older one) was trying to bite Precious's face and Precious was trying to bite Talulah's. My parents say I should just let them fight and that they'll work it out. But I don't want either of them to get hurt.
Talulah is a 8 month old Mini Rex and Precious is a 3 month old Polish. They have both been with other rabbits before I didn't fight. I really need advice! How can I help them get along?

You're right, you shouldn't leave them to fight. Rabbits would naturally 'sort it out' by fighting until one rabbit ran off, but in a confined area like a run instead of a field there is no where to run off to so they can inflict really nasty injuries that need surgery/stitches etc.

Do they usually live together or is this there first time they've been together in the run?

Two females often fight because their hormones make them territorial, neutering removes the hormones but if you don't want to do this then the only solution is likely to be keeping them separate.

If you aren't able to afford the cost of spaying it may be best to rehome them. Spaying is the only way to avoid uterine cancer in does. Their raging hormones will cause them to fight so they need to be kept right apart in order to avoid injuring each other.

If left unspayed, they can sustain quite horrific injuries which may ultimately cost more at the vets than the cost of the spay itself.

I would separate them.

Agree with the others, spaying female buns really is a must since well over 80% of unspayed buns will get uterine cancer before the age of 5. It really is a horrible illness :(

Letting them 'fight it out' will likely end in very nasty injuries.

If you can't afford to spay your girls then are your buns insured? I ask because my girl ran up over £700 in vets fees in 3 days a couple of months ago through a 'simple' case of stasis. Obviously stasis is never simple but it is fairly common and if she hadn't have been insured we would have been stuffed! :shock: an out of hours vet consultation can easily be £80-100 and that is before treatment!

The other thing is to shop around - prices can vary a lot so if you've been quoted quite a high figure then you might find somewhere cheaper - obviously you do want a good rabbit vet but there is still variation within that. Sometimes local RSPCA branches offer neutering vouchers too.

As the others have said they cannot remain together unspayed as they will continue to fight and one or both will end up with serious (costly to treat) injuries. Polish Rabbits are especially renowned for aggressive behaviour toward other Rabbits

If you do not have them spayed they will be at high risk of developing Uterine infections/cancer and this can occur in Does as young as 3, although it is more likely (80% risk) from the age of 5. Thus the life expectancy of an entire Doe can be significantly reduced.

IMO the only valid reason not to spay a Doe is if they are to be used for breeding or if they have other health problems.

Back