• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

long term metacam resistance

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
do rabbits become resistant to the dose they are on? just wondered really as matt stayed on about the same for years and years, and bisc has been on it a long time now but has been having it slightly higher recently. :wave:

I don't think it's so much that as that the pain levels can start to exceed what the Metacam can help with. :(

I don't think it's so much that as that the pain levels can start to exceed what the Metacam can help with. :(

:( the vet said it's ok to move it up and down at times if needed but i noticed that bisc has had to have the dose reduced alot more gradually this time. he needed longer to adjust with each drop.

I've often wondered this - Alfie's on a fairly low dose (0.3) but thankfully it's only for blocked tooth roots, so nothing major. He's addicted to it (literally, every morning and evening he is SO desperate and will pull the syringe right out of your hands!) and I honestly think he has withdrawal symptoms. When he was having cecal problems I stopped it (gradually, of course) and he was just not the same - not in pain as such, but he clearly didn't feel himself. As soon as I gave it back to him, he was back to his normal annoying self.

It does worry me that one day, if he needs it more urgently, the metacam will be ineffective because he's been on it for so long.

I've often wondered this - Alfie's on a fairly low dose (0.3) but thankfully it's only for blocked tooth roots, so nothing major. He's addicted to it (literally, every morning and evening he is SO desperate and will pull the syringe right out of your hands!) and I honestly think he has withdrawal symptoms. When he was having cecal problems I stopped it (gradually, of course) and he was just not the same - not in pain as such, but he clearly didn't feel himself. As soon as I gave it back to him, he was back to his normal annoying self.

It does worry me that one day, if he needs it more urgently, the metacam will be ineffective because he's been on it for so long.

I wouldn't worry too much about appearing desperate - my bunnies weren't bothered either way by the taste, but all piggies I've had absolutely love it. Cassie was on it for years and it was a treat for her!

i worry aswell with bisc. i worry it will block something else from showing. last time he needed a dental, the metacam masked it for longer than normal and when he had the dental, the spurs were soooo close to cutting his tongue :(

he's the same aswell. just not himself when i try to reduce the dose back to what he used to have. not by much though so i'm not overly worried about the dose. but i just did notice this time that we had to reduce very very gradually. he is sensitive though so maybe that is why.

bisc is obsessed with metacam aswell. he jumps on my knee for it :lol::love:

Back