• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering or not (started to hump)

grandmst

Young Bun
33121e8112f886bd0d6c99ea2ef58667.jpg

We have this throw at home that Alfie has taken a shine to we can't use it without him humping it or at least having a go at it.

He hasn't been aggressive or spraying and is normally quite content but after his little out bust on the quilt he seems to do a few poos which is the only annoying thing.

Thanks for any advice.

Wee soul, he's cute. How old is he, could certainly mean his hormones are up to no good. Neutering certainly helps and is recommended.

Fee xxx

nice action shot there :lol:
My previous rabbit started to hump a 'Budgie the Helicopter' ball we had, it was the only thing he'd hump! We had him neutered and he stopped.

Yh it don't actually bother me the humping but is it more benifitial to get him done or not as the cost isn't the problem btw.

Yh it don't actually bother me the humping but is it more benifitial to get him done or not as the cost isn't the problem btw.

I would definitely recommend having him neutered for both health and behaviour. Also, if you're thinking of bonding him with a spayed female, you wouldn't be able to do so without neutering.

33121e8112f886bd0d6c99ea2ef58667.jpg

We have this throw at home that Alfie has taken a shine to we can't use it without him humping it or at least having a go at it.

He hasn't been aggressive or spraying and is normally quite content but after his little out bust on the quilt he seems to do a few poos which is the only annoying thing.

Thanks for any advice.

Haha, goodness me :oops::oops:

Yes at 8 months it's definitely time to get him neutered :) That should begin to settle him down, and in a while he'd be accepting of a female!

:lol: wow it looks like he's really going for it! Our Buster starting humping just before he was neutered and unfortunately the chosen subject for his affections was my other half's leg!! It'll take 6-8 weeks post neuter for his hormones to die down completely, but after that the throw should be less attractive...!!

I would definitely recommend neutering. If he is humping things like the blanket, while it looks cute, that is a classic sign of sexual frustration which is seen in unneutered males, meaning that he is actually quite a frustrated bunny. You can help him to be relaxed and happy by getting him neutered so those hormones don't continue to cause him that frustration, plus as others have said, you could then get him a friend in the future if you were able.

Awesome, thanks for all the info guys looks like I will have to book him in :)

Good job it's a strait forward op, what puts me off is my cousins bun ended up with a blood clot the poor think. But was fine £400 later.

Just shows better to have insurance or a pot of money put away just in case

I got Louie done at 4 months, as soon as his ballies were ready!

Thus avoiding any humping/buzzing behaviours :thumb:

Frosty and Snowflake were done as soon as their testicles appeared (didnt stop them falling out, but after being apart for ages they are now in a group with two spayed sisters).

Your rabbit is a beauty. It is well worth having them neutered so that they can have a friend. There are few things as wonderful to look at as two (or more) rabbits snuggled up together.

Yep I'd get him neutered. Neutered animals tend to live longer and it will also remove his sexual frustration, bless him. In time he'll also be able to have company, so it opens up more options for improving his life :) it's always best to get animals neutered when they are younger as they tend to bounce back quicker.

Neutering is routine procedure and low risk as long as you get it done by a vet experienced with rabbits. Most people find bucks are back to their normal cheeky selves within 48 hours too.

Back