• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor bunnies- do they need their own space?

Fluffs

Alpha Buck
Hi, :)

I was wondering whether rabbits need their own space or just maybe a hutch in the free-range area.

There is 85cm x 130cm area sort of unattached form my bedroom (attic) which could be perfect as a bunny area, but I'm not sure how I would attach a tunnel (to get into my bedroom for free range) or what to use as walls around that area.

It might be easier If I just put an armchair there and use it for me ;) and put a wooden hutch in my bedroom. Would this be OK?

I find it's good to give them a litter tray and 'bed' area of their own that they can retreat to if they wish. Some buns like to have a covered area, others like open surfaces and if you provide a lovely covered den will simply use the top of it!

Other than that, I have never provided hutches or cages for my indoor buns, unless needed for special reasons i.e. health ...

I tend to keep some carpet/rugs just for them, and they also have their own padded beds. Having said that, some buns prefer the floor :lol:

Frosty and Snowflake used to be in half my bedroom with litter trays and a wooden shelf that they liked to go under. They slept on the rug and only sometimes went into their (screamingly expensive and small) indoor cage.

Back