• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excel or Science Selective?

Excel, Science Selective or other?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I feed SS because when I was deciding which food to get for my baby bunnies they had a higher fibre content. Pretty sure excel have caught up or may even be slightly higher now but my buns are doing well on SS so I am happy!

I feed Excel, as that was what they were on at the rescue. They're fine on it and don't have excess caecatrophes so I've just left them on it :thumb:

Allen and page good fibre content and good general food and its cheaper for me having 10 bunnies

Excel because that is the brand I have always fed the guineas on and it is easily available. Arthur and Elsie do well on it so I am happy to keep them on it

Harringtons it has a reasonable fibre content, is affordable, easy to get hold of and doesn't upset their tummies. SS is good but not readily available and excel gives mine the runs

mabel has 2 SS pellets in the morning, now I sound a mean mummy :oops: but her main diet is hay based, I wanted to maybe put her on fibafirst but don't know how much would equal only 2 SS pellets :lol:

Mine are on SS. Not really sure why I chose that but they love it and no probs with it so it seems ok. I have read the choking horror stories so I make sure I break the really long ones in half.

SS and Fibafirst atm. No probs with Excel, but decided to try out the others for the higher fibre content. Bun'll eat anything if it was up to her... :lol:

Science selective, but I have to snap them up into smaller pieces as I am scared the buns will choke on them. It takes ages but they seem to be doing well on them so I am reluctant to change.

I started on just Excel as that's what they had at the rescue, but now feed half-half Excel and Fibafirst as they love both, and FF is what got Elsa eating again after her dental! I think it gives them more variety and if there was ever a problem (e.g. excess caecs or going off a food) I could adjust their diet more easily.

Forgot that I also give them a sprinkling of Nature's touch on top of their SS pellets. They seem to love it and I add a couple of packets of dried forage to each bag to stretch it further as it gets very pellety towards the end otherwise.

Rosie is on a mixture of ss and Excel. I break up the ss which is a bit of a pain so I might be ditching them soon.

Freddie is on Excel.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Excel and SS gave Smudge excel caecals so we are now on Fibafirst.

Thankfully Bramble is tolerating them fine. He loves them,,

Willow eats anything

I feed SS because of the higher fibre content.

In my early twenties after my dental bunny Humbug passed to the bridge, I spent a few years away from rabbit keeping. I returned with a sudden bang after visiting our friends Bird of Prey centre, they had taken on some rabbits that turned out to be female/male and ended up with babies. Anyway the dad kept on attacking the babies and mum, so they asked if I wanted to re-home him.

So Snowflake came to stay and he was put on Excel. I could never get his diet right and he was always experiencing excessive cecals and poopy bums. I became a member on here after doing research about it and realised that rabbit keeping had moved on from when I first had rabbits. We adjusted his diet, reduced the amount of carrot and cabbage he was eating but he still having the occasional upset. So we decided to moved him over to SS after I read a number of posts by people on here saying that excel didn't agree with their bunnies. At the same we had decided to get him a girlfriend and got George (was suppose to be a girl) and he was put straight on SS Junior. Sadly we never got to move Snowflake over to SS, as he took ill with gut stasis and passed away in the vets. We kept George on SS and have continued to feed it as we increased our bunny family.

I feed SS because when I was deciding which food to get for my baby bunnies they had a higher fibre content. Pretty sure excel have caught up or may even be slightly higher now but my buns are doing well on SS so I am happy!

This came up a month or so back >> see post. The important fibre content is 'crude fibre'. Apparently Excel advertise the 'beneficial fibre' content first and then 'crude fibre' further down. Science Selective have the higher 'crude fibre' content still.

Back