• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeback for Pet shops - What would you tell them?

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Dumblepaws had an great idea about putting together an easy to fill out form/questionnaire that gave pet shops feedback: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...at-could-you-do-for-Rabbit-Wlefare-with-%A320

I think it's an excellent suggestion and I'm going to put one together, but I'd really like your ideas on what things you think people should look for and what would be useful for pet shops.

Here are the examples, what would you add?

Does the shop sell live rabbits?
• Do the rabbits have access to hay at all times y/n Rabbits need access to hay at all times to prevent teeth problems and keep digestive system moving etc…
• Are the rabbits housed with guineapigs y/n Rabbits can damage guineapigs and risk of bordatella infection

Food
• Does the shop sell muesli for rabbits? y/n recent studies showed they should have pellets. Would you consider stocking science selective or excel pellets instead?
• Do the treats on sale for rabbits include chocolate drops or corn y/n rabbits should not have dairy, corn or too much sugar. Would you consider stocking fenugreek crunchies from the fenugreek crunchie supplier instead?

Maybe something about whether they ask prospective owners about their housing?
And what sort out housing they sell maybe?

Yes the housing one is a good idea, the questionnaire could ask if the pet shop has rwaf approved size hutches, with attachable runs.
Does the pet shop have rabbit care sheets available.

Oooooooo a toy question!!! Something about do they stock a good range of appropriate edible toys. Finding good toys is the bane of my life. They get bored so quickly with one type. It it's not toys, it's carpets or furniture :shock:

And something about bigger housing

And something about recognising illness in bunnies?

Yes illness is a good one - speed of action upon recognising illness and cost. Also vaccinations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would start with something that tells the petshop WHY they should supply products that are more suitable for rabbits, as profit margins etc might put them off - something along the lines of how their customers are likely to show more loyalty to the shop if they know they can trust the products they sell/trust the advice etc. and how it would make them stand out from the crowd.

i also wouldn't say would you sell x instead of y as chances are they may well stock both anyway, i would say something like would you consider stocking 'approved' ranges exclusively, including a sign for customers to explain why other treats/foods/beddings/hutches aren't suitable.

including a list of suppliers for the shop would help too.

Definitely one about housing.

Do they sell hutches and runs? Do they meet minimum recommendations?

Do they sell rabbits? Do they advise strongly to sell them in pairs and not as children's pets?

Do they provide a care information leaflet including the above plus info on neutering /vaccinating, diet and enrichment?

The thing I notice about pet shops is unsuitable bedding. Often you see Lionheads with manes full of sawdust.

Here's my questionnaire:

In-store practices

- Are the animals for sale old enough to have left their mothers?

- Are the animals quarantined and given time to settle before being sold?

- Are any health checks undertaken on the animals before being sold?

-Is fresh, clean water available at all times?

-Is an appropriate diet provided? In particular, is fresh, clean hay available at all times?

-Are animals housed with suitable companions?

-How often are the animals and their environment checked during the day?

-What procedures are in place if a health problem is identified?

-Is the in-store housing of an adequate standard? (e.g. does it provide hidey holes/ is it large enough/ is the temperature regulated?) If not, how can it be improved?

- Does the pet shop use suitable bedding? If not, how can it be improved? (e.g. Removing sawdust/ adding hay etc.)

-How often are the enclosures cleaned?

-How are the enclosures cleaned? Is infection control taken into account?

-Are suitable toys provided for the animals?

Housing

- Does the pet shop sell hutches and runs. If yes, are these of the required standard?

- If the shop does not sell housing, is there adequate information provided on suitable housing?

- Does the pet shop sell indoor cages? If yes, are these suitable?

- Is there suitable bedding on sale?

-Are the different bedding types clearly labelled with their suitability for different animals? (e.g. is sawdust sold as suitable for all pets or is more specific advice available)

Diet

- Does the range of food on sale consist of suitable products? If not, which products are unsuitable and why?

- Is there an 'own brand' range of food and is this suitable? If not, why?

- If a range of treats and/or snacks are sold, are these suitable? If not, which products are unsuitable and why?

- Is the hay in store correctly packaged and stored? (e.g. so it doesn't get damp)

- Is the range of water bottles and bowls sold adequate to meet the needs of the animals on sale?

- Are there any dietary needs which would not be met by the range of foods sold in store? If yes, what products could be introduced to ensure these are met?

Toys

-Does the shop sell a range of toys suitable for the animals they are selling?

-If not, how could the range be improved?

Selling Practices

- Does the shop adhere to legal guidelines on the sale of animals?

- Does the shop have a 'cooling-off' policy allowing for animals to be returned within a suitable period if customers change their mind?

-Does the shop offer support to customers who wish to return animals at a much later date?

-Does the shop offer post-sales support and advice? If yes, is this advice accurate?

-What is the shop's policy if illness occurs after a sale? (e.g. is vet treatment paid for?)

-Does the shop provide adequate advice on the welfare needs of animals at the point of sale? What form does this take?

-Is there any specific staff training on welfare advice?

- Are animals neutered and/or vaccinated?

- If not, is neutering encouraged? (e.g. with a neutering voucher or recommended in a leaflet)

-Is vaccination encouraged? (e.g. with a voucher or recommended in a leaflet)

-Do pricing offers take into consideration welfare needs? (e.g. buying 2 rabbits is cheaper per rabbit than buying 1)

- Are impulse purchases encouraged? If yes, how?

- Are breed-specific needs flagged either on signs or in person to prospective customers? (e.g. if rex rabbits are sold are sore hocks mentioned?)

-If the shop stocks 'starter packs', are the contents of these suitable for the welfare needs of the animals they are sold for? If not, how could they be improved?

Wow Hesperus - that's a really comprehensive list and incorporates a lot of what BattleKat, Zoobec, SJH, iggyperdyandme, elmoandfern and mabelsmum said too. Thank you all (& Tamsin!) for helping make the idea into a thing that's real and might make a dfference to somebunnies
I think the next step is to try and define "suitable"/"appropriate" more objectively and explain why the alternative is unsuitable - so I'll start thinking about that and post a super long reply later!

There are loads of really good questions! I think we need to narrow it down to the key ones. Thinking about people filing it in, sometimes they won't be too confident about asking a lot of questions so mainly things they can observe. Also they might be filing it in after the visit rather than stood there with a clipboard so too many and they might not remember everything of there is too much.

I think some things can be used as a signal for other things, for example if any rabbits for sale are being feed hay and pellets, that's a good signal that the shop is aware of diet needs and more likely to be giving good advice on that.

I think you are right too dumblepaws, it need to really clear on what is/isn't ok. So rather than saying 'good housing' being specific e.g. no hutches under 4' for sale. You can't assume the shop will know!

Ok - I had a go at making some sections specific today (based on Hesperus' list)...but I don't know lots of answers so help please!!

In-store practices

- Are the animals for sale old enough to have left their mothers?
Not sure how this would be ascertained without asking, but as a guide they should be at least 10 weeks old

- Are the animals quarantined and given time to settle before being sold?
Not sure how this would be ascertained without asking, or what time it should be. Presumably a month, and them be panacurred as it’s a stressful time but I doubt any pet shop would do this.

- Are any health checks undertaken on the animals before being sold?
Not sure how this would be ascertained without asking, or what checks should be done .

-Is fresh, clean water available at all times?
Without asking can only comment on the specific time you’re looking. So maybe just “is fresh, clean water available” If bottles, can you see any green algae? Rabbits need fresh, clean water to be available at all times to prevent dehydration and ensure their digestive system keeps running smoothly.

-Is an appropriate diet provided? In particular, is fresh, clean hay available at all times?
Maybe split to “Is fresh, clean hay available?” and “If dry food is available is it pelleted?” and “If fresh food is available, is it suitable?”
Rabbits need hay to be available at all times. Rabbits have a very sensitive digestive system and need to keep their gut moving at all times through constant grazing. If they do not have access to hay, and stop eating, they can die within 24-48 hours. They also have continuously growing teeth and hay helps grind their teeth down to prevent future dental issues.

Research has shown that rabbits are selective feeders, and if given a varied muesli style food, will pick out their favourite bits and leave others, resulting in an imbalanced diet. A homogenous pelleted food such as Science Selective or Burgess Excel provides a much better diet.

Contrary to popular belief, rabbits should not be fed lettuce or carrots. Lettuce (particularly iceberg) has no nutritional value, and carrot is very full of sugar which can rot their teeth and upset their stomachs. Young rabbits should not have fresh food introduced too early (before 13 weeks) as it can upset their stomachs, but if they are given, small amounts of fresh herbs, or spring green cabbage are a good start.

-Are animals housed with suitable companions?
Male and female rabbits should be kept separately as risk or pregnancy, but bunnies should not be kept alone as they will get lonely.
Other species are not suitable companions. Specifically, guinea pigs and rabbits should not be housed together as rabbits can carry this bacteria which is the most common cause of upper respiratory infections in guinea pigs. Rabbits powerful hind legs can also serious injure guinea pigs.

-How often are the animals and their environment checked during the day?
Not sure how this would be ascertained without asking, but rabbits should be checked at least twice daily to ensure they are eating/look for any other signs of abnormal behaviour or illness.

-What procedures are in place if a health problem is identified?
Not sure how this would be ascertained without asking, but take straight to vet is a good first response. Future owners should be made aware of any health issues.

-Is the in-store housing of an adequate standard? (e.g. does it provide hidey holes/ is it large enough/ is the temperature regulated?) If not, how can it be improved?
A rabbit should be able to take at least 3 hops. Hidey holes should be provided so the rabbit can feel safe and doesn’t need to be on show at all times. Snuggle safe heat pads should be available if it is cold in the winter, and cool pads/shade provided in summer.

- Does the pet shop use suitable bedding? If not, how can it be improved? (e.g. Removing sawdust/ adding hay etc.)
The phenols from wood shavings or sawdust can cause respiratory diseases and liver damage in rabbits, so this should not be used. Newspaper/fleece/lino and always lot and lots of hay is a good option. Products such as megazorb, aubiose or other litters (not sure which) can also be used.

-How often are the enclosures cleaned?
Not sure how this would be ascertained without asking, but enclosure should look reasonably clean litter trays should be cleaned daily with a full clean done weekly.

-How are the enclosures cleaned? Is infection control taken into account?
Not sure how this would be ascertained without asking, but I guess ideally with something like Ark-Klens to remove EC spores between different group of rabbits, and with a pet safe disinfectant eg Johnsons Safe and Clean on a weekly basis.

-Are suitable toys provided for the animals?
Eg tunnels, hidey holes, wicker mats/baskets, cardboard tubes, balls. Bunnies need stimulation otherwise they will develop bad habits eg bar chewing, aggression through boredom

-Maybe also do the rabbit’s poos look healthy?
Healthy poos are round and hard. There should be no caecotrophs. (maybe pictures) Presence of caecotrophs implies an overly rich diet eg too many pellets/fresh food and not enough hay.

And another one:

Housing

- Does the pet shop sell hutches and runs. If yes, are these of the required standard?
The RWAF recommends a minimum of a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch with permanent access to a run of minimum 8ft x 4ft x 2ft. Smaller hutches may be acceptable as shelters in aviaries or sheds if permanently left open, but hutches smaller than 4ft should not be sold.

- If the shop does not sell housing, is there adequate information provided on suitable housing?
Same as above: The RWAF recommends a minimum of a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch with permanent access to a run of minimum 8ft x 4ft x 2ft. Smaller hutches may be acceptable as shelters in aviaries or sheds if permanently left open, but hutches smaller than 4ft should not be sold. Pet shops may display posters referring to the “3 hop rule” but best practice would be to clarify this with actual measurements to avoid confusion.

- Does the pet shop sell indoor cages? If yes, are these suitable?
I don’t think I’ve seen a suitable indoor cage in a pet shop ever. Do they exist? Also I don’t have indoor bunnies so am not qualified to comment. I think the Boyle’s Pet housing ones are really nice. I guess it’s more “Is it clear that the indoor cage is a base for the rabbit and the rabbit should not ever be shut up in it?”

- Is there suitable bedding on sale?
Good quality hay and straw should be sold. Is anything else bedding?
Maybe something on how to tell if it’s good quality? Eg hay green and fresh smelling not dusty or mouldy.
Would be good if the store made it clear that hay is suitable for eating as well as for bedding, but that straw has no nutritional value but is a warmer bedding for winter so can be used in conjunction with hay?

-Are the different bedding types clearly labelled with their suitability for different animals? (e.g. is sawdust sold as suitable for all pets or is more specific advice available)
I know that sawdust/wood shavings are not suitable for bunnies as the phenols can cause respiratory problems or liver/kidney failure, but not sure what animal they can safely be used for. Also not sure which cat litters are suitable other than magazorb and aubiose but they’re more for horses aren’t they? Never really seen them.

I think it needs to be simpler...

Livestock

In store rabbits are an opportunity to demonstrate to shoppers key aspects of the correct care for rabbits, with this in mind:

Do the rabbits have hay available?
Do the rabbits have somewhere to hide?
Do they have toys/enrichment opportunities?
Is the enclosure clean?
Is water clean?
Do the rabbits appear healthy?
Something on size?
Are rabbits kept separate to guinea pigs?

Housing

The RWAF recommends a minimum of a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch with permanent access to a run of minimum 8ft x 4ft x 2ft, and that hutches under 4’ should not be advertised for rabbits.

Are there hutches/run of these size available?
Is it clear, for example via display materials, what sizes are appropriate and that a run is a necessity.
Are indoor cages over 4’ and is it made clear that rabbits also need an exercise space?

Diet
Is good quality hay available?
Are pellets available?
Is muesli still sold?

Education
Does the shop use written information to educated shoppers?

Even that's a bit long. Maybe narrow it down to 10 questions that are the really important ones rather than trying to cover everything. So what are the top issues that pet shops could be working on?

I think demonstrating good care with any rabbits in store is one - people are likely to pick products they see in use. Hutch sizes and labelling is another i.e. if they've got small hutches making in clear they are not suitable for rabbits.

It depends on what kind of questionnaire you want. If you want to be able to fill it in in store then short is good but I thought from the original thread that people wanted to hopefully talk to pet shop staff to get more of an idea- even if over the phone.

Back