• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cardboard

dumblepaws

Mama Doe
Waffles has just been enjoying a toy from a pretty reputable bunny supplier with barley things and herbs and loofah and a cardboard bell but was eating the cardboard. She doesn't eat normal cardboard so I got worried and took it away from her and messaged the store. They said bunnies are ok to eat small amounts of cardboard and the inside of this was coated in honey & herbs and was meant to be eaten (nearly said nyommed but don't want to get hatemail)
How bad is cardboard??

I have read on here that it can cause blockages. Frosty and Snowflake used to eat it sometimes.

I'm pretty cautious about cardboard as I have stasis-prone buns who would happily eat a whole box in one go..! I imagine occasional small amounts of cardboard would probably get through the system okay if your bunny has a decent digestive system, but I'm not sure it's a great idea to actually encourage bunnies to eat it!

It's a tricky one, on one hand cardboard is just wood pulp, and we are quite happy to have our buns chewing on sticks. On the other it does seem to cause problem (or be blamed) for problem in some rabbits. I'd be more cautious about cardboard that's printed etc. and not designed for eating.

thanks - I think actively encouraging her to eat cardboard by coating it in honey is not a good idea, but will still let her have toilet rolls stuffed with hay and cardboard castles. She's spent the morning eating a wicker mat....

Wondering whether this (cardboard) will be something that in 5 years time, we look back and wonder what on earth we were doing - like muesli 5 years ago etc

Back