• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Talk to me about megacolon

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
So one if the suggestions regarding Dusty is that she might have megacolon.

She seems to fit the profile: sudden weight lose, unable to keep clean, some neuro issues, small, horrid sludgy smelly poo (think lord H).

I dknt know much about this condition so would appreciate some guidance.

I can't offer any advice I'm afraid but I just wanted to say I'm glad there might be an answer for poor Dusty. I hope he improves soon xx

Also, try not to become focused on the 'Megacolon' theory. There are many very Rabbit savvy Vets who feel that sometimes this label is given when it is not truly appropriate. I speak as one who became convinced I had a Megacolon Rabbit and it is now looking like it is not that at all.

If Gill is looking after Dusty then at least you know that you have a Vet who knows her stuff. I am sure she will work through all other possible problems.

Has coccidiosis been mentioned ? Or any other protozoal gut infection ?

Hi Jane,

Yes Dusty is an in patient with Gill so I know she is in good hands.

We are treating for coccidiosis as Gill feels it has no side effects if Dusty doesn't have it so we are trying to cover a number of bases.

Back