• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Big decision made (bunnies)

luna

Mama Doe
As some of you are probably aware I have been struggling somewhat over the last few weeks. If I am completely honest it goes as far back as when Bobby was sick. Myself and my husband have come to a decision and believe me it wasn't an easy one. There have been a lot of tears (from me) and high emotions but we have decided we are going to rehome both Rosie and Freddie.

Just sitting here writing this is a struggle but I know in my heart of hearts that it is the right decision for my family and my rabbits. I don't want to go into the reasons too much but I have been suffering with my health and i have two auto immune conditions that I am trying to stay on top of. I have terrible back trouble that requires ongoing regular physio and I have my son to think of. I cannot cope any longer with all the stress of rabbit keeping. I have been looking after rabbits for seven years now and up until a year ago I loved every minute of it. Things have changed, my health is suffering and I have felt very over stretched for some time now.

Luckily I have already found a wonderful home for little Freddie. He is currently recuperating from his neuter but in the next few weeks he will be going to his new home in the UK. I feel blessed that an RU friend has offered to adopt him and I would love the same for Rosie. For that reason I am going to be looking for a home for my beautiful girl through RU. We are willing to travel to the UK on the ferry (on the same day we are bringing over Freddie) if we find Rosie a home through the "rabbits in need" section.

I will of course be sad to come to the end of my "rabbit journey". I have learnt so much about these beautiful animals over the last few years and they are such a huge part of mine and my families life. Not having them in my life will be a huge adjustment for sure :( I am in tears just typing this but as I said I have thought long and hard about this and it is not fair on Rosie and Freddie right now because I have been so stressed for such a long time that they must be picking up on it.

I do not want to rehome in the south of Ireland as good rabbit homes here are few and far between. I owe it to my beautiful buns to find them the best homes possible. It is my greatest wish for Rosie that she will also be homed with an RU'er as I would like to stick around on the forum and follow their stories. I just want them to be happy and I really feel like I have become part of the community here and don't want to lose that. I have met some of the loveliest people on here and I value you all so much.

I hope people can understand my decision and respect that the decision has been made. There is no going back now so I'm going to make it my sole mission right now to find Rosie a five star home. I would appreciate any support I can get with this situation and it would be fantastic if we could find her a home in Wales or surrounding areas to limit the travel if possible. We will be getting the ferry over to Holyhead hence why I am mentioning Wales. I would also be more than happy to rehome her in Northern Ireland if a suitable home came up. I have contacted SOAD in relation to this so hopefully there will be a thread up in rabbits in need in the next few days. Thank you so much for reading guys xx

Last edited:
I know I've already pm'd you about it, but just popping on again to give my support. You're making a very brave and selfless decision xx

Sometimes we have to do these things. I once had to rehome a lovely yellow labrador x golden retriever called Angel. It was soooo heart breaking but she went to a lovely family.

Someone is going to be incredibly lucky to adopt lovely Rosie. If I had a spare room I would be very tempted indeed (despite already having eight).

I hope you find someone on here so you can have updates about her x

I can understand what a heartbreaking decision it must be for you. Hope you are able to rehome beautiful Rosie to an RU friend. Hugs x

We've been discussing your struggles for a while know, and I know this decision hasn't been an easy one for you, and that you've made it with everyones best interests in mind.

I hope someone will give Rosie the fabulous home that she not only deserves, but expects!

I hope you stick around on RU, I'd miss you! I do have your email address though so no escaping me :D

Sorry you're having to do this, but I'm sure both of your buns will go to amazing and loving homes!

What a hard decision of have had to make - and a very brave one...and very unselfish too.

I know that you will make sure that your babies will go to good homes - but it must be quite heartbreaking for you.

Really wish I could give Rosie a home - she sounds like a right little character :love:

Lots of luck and mega hugs to you.

Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate you all being so supportive and understanding :)

It is heartbreaking , it really is ... I find it hard spending time with them now a decision has been made. I feel I have to emotionally detach myself from them or it just hurts too much if that makes sense ? xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

So sorry that it has come to this for you Luna but you have to do what you know is the right thing for you and them xxxxxx

Sorry to hear this: it is a big decision and you've clearly not taken it lightly. Must be truly agonising. Good luck with the adoption and travel!

What a brave decision to make, I wish you the best of luck in finding an amazing home for Rosie and Freddie

Big hugs to you Xxx

Luna, this is heartbreaking for you and such a tough decision I know but I feel you are definitely doing the right thing. My sister has similar health issues and that's how Sumpy came to be in my life when I never expected to ever own a rabbit and what a joy he was!! You'll be bringing that same joy into some one else's life by giving them the gifts of Rosie and Fewddie! Chin up Mrs, I know it can't be easy but I really respect you for making this decision xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much everyone for your kind words of support. Each and every message means so much. Thank you :) xx

Luna, I have to say having read this thread, I'm wasnt really surprised at your decision. I've thought for a while that behind your lovely blogs, you sound as though you have been struggling.
Your health and your family come first, you are not abandoning your buns, you are doing the very best for them. I'm so glad little Freddie has been "snapped up" and I'm sure the lovely Rosie will be to. You are right, there are some lovely people on RU, please stay a part of the RU "family" won't you.
Look after yourself, sending you a big big hug :love:

Luna, I have to say having read this thread, I'm wasnt really surprised at your decision. I've thought for a while that behind your lovely blogs, you sound as though you have been struggling.
Your health and your family come first, you are not abandoning your buns, you are doing the very best for them. I'm so glad little Freddie has been "snapped up" and I'm sure the lovely Rosie will be to. You are right, there are some lovely people on RU, please stay a part of the RU "family" won't you.
Look after yourself, sending you a big big hug :love:

Aww gosh you have got me all teary again. What a lovely response, thank you :) I guess my post two weeks back was a big giveaway too where I talked about how I was struggling with rabbit ownership.

Yeah the blog had some definite hints. Lol :) I just hope people don't think Rosie is too much of a handful. When she was with bobby she was as good as gold. She will always have a strong and independent personality but the blog was obviously semi-fictional :) So I hope the blog helps rather than hinders her potential to be adopted. She is a wonderful rabbit who gives lots of licks , it just has to be on her terms ;) xx

Having had to make a similar decision a few years ago with a rescue dog, I know just how hard a decision it is.

I hope Rosie finds a lovely RU'er to welcome her into their family and the updates from Freddie & Rosie will make the decision somewhat more comforting.
As much as our buns are family, 2 legged family has to come first.

Heather

Back