• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny with stomach obstruction.

Zhar_Ptitca

Young Bun
I am flipping out a bit right now because my rabbit seems to be going exactly through the same problem my previous rabbit died from.

I woke up in the morning to find Mila not being quite herself: she did not want noms and seemed uncomfortable. She wanted to stretch out but was immediately sitting up again. So I immediately called the vet and made an appointment. Her temperature was 35.8 and he felt softish mass in her stomach and slightly gassy intestines. He suspected a hairball, because Mila was shedding monstrously and I combed her often but it seemed the more I combed, the more fur there was to shed. I was sent home with Cisaral, Novacam, Paraffin and Critical Care. I stuffed her in the small carrier with two bottles of hot water to get her temperature up but not before she got Cisaral, paraffin and some Critical Care in. I guess I just have to wait and see and keep giving her the meds. If she does not perk up by tomorrow or eat on her own I have to call back.

But seeing that my previous rabbit Mira died of similar causes I am, like I've said, flipping out a bit. I really could not help Mira but I hope I caught Mila in time. But I am so paranoid I keep thinking I can feel her bloat up but that rabbit is also fat so I suspect I am jumping on shadows. I hope I am doing everything. I am scared to wake up tomorrow and find another bloated half-dead rabbit.

Hugs for Mila? T_T

I am flipping out a bit right now because my rabbit seems to be going exactly through the same problem my previous rabbit died from.

I woke up in the morning to find Mila not being quite herself: she did not want noms and seemed uncomfortable. She wanted to stretch out but was immediately sitting up again. So I immediately called the vet and made an appointment. Her temperature was 35.8 and he felt softish mass in her stomach and slightly gassy intestines. He suspected a hairball, because Mila was shedding monstrously and I combed her often but it seemed the more I combed, the more fur there was to shed. I was sent home with Cisaral, Novacam, Paraffin and Critical Care. I stuffed her in the small carrier with two bottles of hot water to get her temperature up but not before she got Cisaral, paraffin and some Critical Care in. I guess I just have to wait and see and keep giving her the meds. If she does not perk up by tomorrow or eat on her own I have to call back.

But seeing that my previous rabbit Mira died of similar causes I am, like I've said, flipping out a bit. I really could not help Mira but I hope I caught Mila in time. But I am so paranoid I keep thinking I can feel her bloat up but that rabbit is also fat so I suspect I am jumping on shadows. I hope I am doing everything. I am scared to wake up tomorrow and find another bloated half-dead rabbit.

Hugs for Mila? T_T

That's a very low temperature, and sounds like she may be going into shock. You were right to get her to the vet immediately. I'm surprised the vet didn't keep her in and perhaps ultrasound her abdomen for blockages. Not to scare you but that's what it sounds like.

I should call the vet back sooner rather than later if there's no improvement very soon. Is your vet an all night one?

Fingers crossed for you and Mila, and many many hugs xx

I would change vets. I would not want a rabbit with a blockage sent home. :shock: She needs sub cut fluids and needs to closely monitored by a rabbit savvy vet. Also paraffin is not the best thing to use, I have heard it can cause more problems.

Where do yo live? Maybe someone can recommend a better vet for you.

I would change vets. I would not want a rabbit with a blockage sent home. :shock: She needs sub cut fluids and needs to closely monitored by a rabbit savvy vet. Also paraffin is not the best thing to use, I have heard it can cause more problems.

The Netherlands

Has your Rabbit passed any faeces in the last few hours ?

That's a very low temperature, and sounds like she may be going into shock. You were right to get her to the vet immediately. I'm surprised the vet didn't keep her in and perhaps ultrasound her abdomen for blockages. Not to scare you but that's what it sounds like.

I should call the vet back sooner rather than later if there's no improvement very soon. Is your vet an all night one?

Fingers crossed for you and Mila, and many many hugs xx

The vet is 2 minutes away and I believe they are the emergency vet tonight. I myself am veterinary nurse by trade (the vet is my ex-boss, the irony) so I can look after my rabbit in a 'savvy way' and I think this is partly why he released her home to me. They uually ultrasound if they can feel anything in the abdomen, however her intestines were just gassy, only the mass in the stomach.

To be extrememly honest I am prepared for the worst. I know how the rabbits are, sadly.

Thank you so much for the best wishes!

Ah, I see! Jane has a lot more experience than me so hopefully she can give you some good advice on getting her through the night.

What's her diet like normally?

Sending vibes for her. x

The vet is 2 minutes away and I believe they are the emergency vet tonight. I myself am veterinary nurse by trade (the vet is my ex-boss, the irony) so I can look after my rabbit in a 'savvy way' and I think this is partly why he released her home to me. They uually ultrasound if they can feel anything in the abdomen, however her intestines were just gassy, only the mass in the stomach.

To be extrememly honest I am prepared for the worst. I know how the rabbits are, sadly.

Thank you so much for the best wishes!

She is in very good hands with you, and I'm sorry you and Mila are going through this right now. I'm sending you vibes and every good wish for a good outcome for you both.

I used to work in this clinics and they are as rabbit savvy as anyone else around (as in average, at least they do not treat rabbits as cats, like my previous vet) But I do know how they work and I saw them helping more rabbits then not. :) I am veterinary nurse as well, so I can give fluids and observe the rabbit in the proper way. However paraffin is the only rabbit laxative most clinics use here in NL.

Her diet consist of pellets and hay. more hay then pellets. Sometimes she gets some veggies but not too often.

Last edited:
I used to work in this clinics and they are as rabbit savvy as anyone else around (as in average, at least they do not treat rabbits as cats, like my previous vet) But I do know how they work and I saw them helping more rabbits then not. :) I am veterinary nurse as well, so I can give fluids and observe the rabbit in the proper way. However paraffin is the only rabbit laxative most clinics use here in NL.

Her diet consist of pellets and hay. more hay then pellets. Sometimes she gets some veggies but not too often.

Sounds as though she is in good hands with you. I do hope you manage to pull her through. What time is it in the Netherlands? I do hope she manages to pass whatever is in her tum.

Sounds as though she is in good hands with you. I do hope you manage to pull her through. What time is it in the Netherlands? I do hope she manages to pass whatever is in her tum.

Thank you! ^^ I'll do my best. But lots is depending on Mila too, so I hope she works with me on this. Like I've sais, I try to keep my hopes up but too actively. I know how rabbits are. :(

The Netherlands are an hour ahead of UK, so it is 14:15 as I type.

The pain medication seems to help her a bit, she now is stretched out in the toilet but she still feels bad, I can see that too. In two hours I will give her a bit of water and Critical Care (vet advised not to overdo on feeding since her stomach is already a bit full) and before bedtime she will get Cisaral, paraffin and an extra Novacam.

A little update: I observed her for while and decided she does experience gas troubles as well. Consulted Stichting Konijnenbelangen (THE source in the Netherlands for rabbit owners) and went to the pharmacy to buy INFACOL(it has simeticon and works very good on rabbits) The vet also offered it earlier on but also said to look how she reacts on the rest of the meds.

She will have to get 1 ml ever 15 mins for the next hour and continue getting it every hour till she feels better, then it can be extended to every 2-8 hours.

A little update: I observed her for while and decided she does experience gas troubles as well. Consulted Stichting Konijnenbelangen (THE source in the Netherlands for rabbit owners) and went to the pharmacy to buy INFACOL(it has simeticon and works very good on rabbits) The vet also offered it earlier on but also said to look how she reacts on the rest of the meds.

She will have to get 1 ml ever 15 mins for the next hour and continue getting it every hour till she feels better, then it can be extended to every 2-8 hours.

I have used infacol for a stasis bun but not a bun with a blockage/partial blockage so I can't really offer any advice regarding that.

Has she eaten anything yet?

She ate two dried carrot treats. No droppings yet. She also perked up a bit in general and even got busy washing herself. However I did feel her abdomen getting a bit rounder and harder. Also loud rumbling sounds had appeared. I massaged it a bit (which she did not really like) and keep giving her Infacol once an hour.

I consulted the vet and she said that in her situation I should perceive the rumbles as a positive thing, since it means her intestines are moving and getting busy, while before they were completely still.

She ate two dried carrot treats. No droppings yet. She also perked up a bit in general and even got busy washing herself. However I did feel her abdomen getting a bit rounder and harder. Also loud rumbling sounds had appeared. I massaged it a bit (which she did not really like) and keep giving her Infacol once an hour.

I consulted the vet and she said that in her situation I should perceive the rumbles as a positive thing, since it means her intestines are moving and getting busy, while before they were completely still.

Yes, definitely a good sign!

Sending more vibes!

If her stomach now feels 'hard' I would not give her anything more by mouth for a few hours. If her pylorus is obstructed then her stomach cant empty into her intestines and continuing to put more into it the stomach in such a situation could lead to a very sad outcome.

If her stomach now feels 'hard' I would not give her anything more by mouth for a few hours. If her pylorus is obstructed then her stomach cant empty into her intestines and continuing to put more into it the stomach in such a situation could lead to a very sad outcome.

Does that also count for her meds or just food and water? I just saw her eating again, so she obviously has some appetite going. (So was the other rabbit, I think) However, seeing that she even produced some droppings I assume something does go into her intestines as well.

Does that also count for her meds or just food and water? I just saw her eating again, so she obviously has some appetite going. (So was the other rabbit, I think) However, seeing that she even produced some droppings I assume something does go into her intestines as well.

Producing droppings is a good sign. Hopefully that will continue and improve and move whatever the obstruction is, on it's way.

I have good news! I just found a gross string of poop hair in her litterbox and when I felt up her abdomen it was not bloated anymore and I cannot feel her stomach either. She got very active again and is eating on her pellets. I will keep her in separate cage for tonight and on further advice of the vet will continue with paraffin and Cisaral for another day.

I am getting happy again, my adorable fatbag is feeling better. ^^

Back