• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wabbit Wednesday - Little Bunny Questions that you've been Pondering

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Just thought I'd start us off, this thread is for all those little bunny questions that maybe don't feel like they need a whole thread but you'd still like to ask...

Why do we always say that Rabbits do not like heights, yet given half a chance a Rabbit will climb up on to the most precarious shelf in the house and gaze down at his/her kingdom ? I guess it's not so much heights that they dont like, it's more that they don't like the actual act of being picked up :?

Why do we always say that Rabbits do not like heights, yet given half a chance a Rabbit will climb up on to the most precarious shelf in the house and gaze down at his/her kingdom ? I guess it's not so much heights that they dont like, it's more that they don't like the actual act of being picked up :?

I think you are right. My two have recently discovered that they can climb on top of the wooden house's roof and look out of the window. They LOVE it. When they have to jump down they seem very cautious but they always manage it ok! They are daredevils actually...

I've got a silly question that's not quite rabbit related but... those who use newspaper in the litter trays do you ever find yourself spotting someone in the paper and thinking what a perfect person for my rabbits to wee on?? :lol:

Here are my "not worth their own thread" questions:

Can a rabbit eat too much veg?
Can bunnies eat mango skin?
Can bunnies chew pine? (Such as their new ikea bed?)
How often can I feed fenugreek crunchies?

Thanks!

I've got a silly question that's not quite rabbit related but... those who use newspaper in the litter trays do you ever find yourself spotting someone in the paper and thinking what a perfect person for my rabbits to wee on?? :lol:

Yes

Or turning the page if I think it's inappropriate for them to read!

I guess I've always wondered what rabbits ''see'', are they colorblind, partially colorblind? The answer is probably in one of my many rabbit books but I tend to just flick through the section I want.

Really need to dedicate some time to a proper read one day.

Yes

Or turning the page if I think it's inappropriate for them to read!

I do both of these :lol: or sometimes ill be putting the newspaper in and find an article that catches my eye so ill read as I clean :lol:

It's the opposite that I do... I feel guilty if I put photos of babies in their litter tray, all these photos of Prince George around make me feel very guilty letting the rabbits wee on him! I either just repeat to myself "it's just a photo" or I turn it over or make rue it's on the bottom layer of newspaper!

My question is regarding claw-clipping. Do they always need to be clipped? My boys claws look fine but they do lots of running around on paving and a wooden deck. Is this keeping their claws worn down?

I do both of these :lol: or sometimes ill be putting the newspaper in and find an article that catches my eye so ill read as I clean :lol:
When it's my daughters turn to clean litter trays I'll often go outside and find her with her nose burried in the newspaper, bunnies and litter trays forgotten! :roll: :lol:

Ha ha ha!!! Exactly this!! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question is behaviour related.

Sometimes when Barney is lying down Chloe will go and dig at him which forces him to get up.

Any ideas why she would do this?

I guess I've always wondered what rabbits ''see'', are they colorblind, partially colorblind? The answer is probably in one of my many rabbit books but I tend to just flick through the section I want.

Really need to dedicate some time to a proper read one day.

And the speed at which they see things. Our lives must see slow to them!!

Lovely photos of your buns. :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another one who does this!

!

Yes, my understanding is they can, but how much is too much depends on the veg and the rabbit.

I think it'd be too much if it upsets their digestion, or stops them eating enough hay / grass? Mine can't have much at all but they've had ongoing issues for a while that make them more sensitive. I know high calcium veg needs to be watched if they have bladder issues too. I guess if they were overweight it would be something to look at and maybe reduce as well.

Here are my "not worth their own thread" questions:

Can bunnies eat mango skin?
Can bunnies chew pine? (Such as their new ikea bed?)
How often can I feed fenugreek crunchies?

Thanks!

Certain veggies like carrot or parsnip can be fattening as they tend to be high in sugar, some others eaten in large amounts like cabbage could be gassy. I tend to limit the gassy veggies like broccoli, spring green and cabbage.

Pine beds should be fine, especially if the wood has been untreated. I had an pine double bed destroyed by two bunnies, no ill effect.

Not sure about mango but I would avoid.

One or two crunchies with a normal weight bunny should be fine.

I would only ever use that line to explain to a child under 5 why they can't pick a rabbit up.

I would only ever use that line to explain to a child under 5 why they can't pick a rabbit up.

I always think about when I have kids, what I will tell them about the rabbits and how to handle them?

Obviously the rabbits would be older then. *touch wood* they will still be healthy and happy. When any children are babies they obviously won't know any better but I still want any children I have to ''know'' the rabbits well.

It'll be an adventure figuring it all out. I'm hoping any children I have will love bunnies as much as I do and know about their proper care!

I watched a really good video once which I post on pet selling sites on facebook, in groups and in lots of other places! Its called ''Are rabbits good pets for a child?'' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZOvUKyeR6A

I just think its very informative and sometimes a video made by an actual rabbit vet might convince someone more than me just saying ''that's not a good idea''

Anyone else think its a good video? Or not?

Last edited:
Can rabbits eat too much veg?

Yes, depends on what you feed them, and on them! Mine eats lots of brambles, hawthorn and rose, with occasional 'real veg'. He's eating tons at the moment, and there's a lot less hay in his run than usual (from his strewing activities), and he was digging yesterday... Must be hungry from moulting! But no ill effects.

Are rabbits colourblind?

I read somewhere in some scientific thing that they might be: specific! :roll: I reckon that mine's partly deaf (or just hard of listening! >D) and all this about 360° vision doesn't apply to him... ;D

Will try and remember to post the picture I took yesterday of Lopsy discovering if he lifts his treatball, treats fall out!

I have one, maybe best in health though I'm not sure...

Ellie's fur on her chin hasn't grown back after her last dental, will it grow back? It was a few months ago now.

Back