PDA

View Full Version : Wabbit Wednesday - Little Bunny Questions that you've been Pondering

Tamsin
01-10-2014, 04:51 AM
Just thought I'd start us off, this thread is for all those little bunny questions that maybe don't feel like they need a whole thread but you'd still like to ask...

Jack's-Jane
01-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Why do we always say that Rabbits do not like heights, yet given half a chance a Rabbit will climb up on to the most precarious shelf in the house and gaze down at his/her kingdom ? I guess it's not so much heights that they dont like, it's more that they don't like the actual act of being picked up :?

Sarah1991
01-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Why do we always say that Rabbits do not like heights, yet given half a chance a Rabbit will climb up on to the most precarious shelf in the house and gaze down at his/her kingdom ? I guess it's not so much heights that they dont like, it's more that they don't like the actual act of being picked up :?

I think you are right. My two have recently discovered that they can climb on top of the wooden house's roof and look out of the window. They LOVE it. When they have to jump down they seem very cautious but they always manage it ok! They are daredevils actually...

Kirotea
01-10-2014, 08:47 AM
I've got a silly question that's not quite rabbit related but... those who use newspaper in the litter trays do you ever find yourself spotting someone in the paper and thinking what a perfect person for my rabbits to wee on?? :lol:

B&B Buns
01-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Here are my "not worth their own thread" questions:

Can a rabbit eat too much veg?
Can bunnies eat mango skin?
Can bunnies chew pine? (Such as their new ikea bed?)
How often can I feed fenugreek crunchies?

Thanks!

dumblepaws
01-10-2014, 09:02 AM
I've got a silly question that's not quite rabbit related but... those who use newspaper in the litter trays do you ever find yourself spotting someone in the paper and thinking what a perfect person for my rabbits to wee on?? :lol:

Yes

Or turning the page if I think it's inappropriate for them to read!

Sarah1991
01-10-2014, 10:08 AM
I guess I've always wondered what rabbits ''see'', are they colorblind, partially colorblind? The answer is probably in one of my many rabbit books but I tend to just flick through the section I want.

Really need to dedicate some time to a proper read one day.

aaammmyyy
01-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Yes

I do both of these :lol: or sometimes ill be putting the newspaper in and find an article that catches my eye so ill read as I clean :lol:

*Funny*Bunny*
01-10-2014, 10:22 AM

It's the opposite that I do... I feel guilty if I put photos of babies in their litter tray, all these photos of Prince George around make me feel very guilty letting the rabbits wee on him! I either just repeat to myself "it's just a photo" or I turn it over or make rue it's on the bottom layer of newspaper!

Lisa F
01-10-2014, 10:40 AM
My question is regarding claw-clipping. Do they always need to be clipped? My boys claws look fine but they do lots of running around on paving and a wooden deck. Is this keeping their claws worn down?

I do both of these :lol: or sometimes ill be putting the newspaper in and find an article that catches my eye so ill read as I clean :lol:
When it's my daughters turn to clean litter trays I'll often go outside and find her with her nose burried in the newspaper, bunnies and litter trays forgotten! :roll: :lol:

SJH
01-10-2014, 10:58 AM

Ha ha ha!!! Exactly this!! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MummyBunnyEm
01-10-2014, 10:58 AM
My question is behaviour related.

Sometimes when Barney is lying down Chloe will go and dig at him which forces him to get up.

Any ideas why she would do this?

SJH
01-10-2014, 10:59 AM
I guess I've always wondered what rabbits ''see'', are they colorblind, partially colorblind? The answer is probably in one of my many rabbit books but I tend to just flick through the section I want.

Really need to dedicate some time to a proper read one day.

And the speed at which they see things. Our lives must see slow to them!!

Lovely photos of your buns. :love:

RabbitBears
01-10-2014, 11:05 AM

Another one who does this!

RabbitBears
01-10-2014, 11:10 AM
!

Yes, my understanding is they can, but how much is too much depends on the veg and the rabbit.

I think it'd be too much if it upsets their digestion, or stops them eating enough hay / grass? Mine can't have much at all but they've had ongoing issues for a while that make them more sensitive. I know high calcium veg needs to be watched if they have bladder issues too. I guess if they were overweight it would be something to look at and maybe reduce as well.

Barn Yard Bunnies
01-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Here are my "not worth their own thread" questions:

Can bunnies eat mango skin?
Can bunnies chew pine? (Such as their new ikea bed?)
How often can I feed fenugreek crunchies?

Thanks!

Certain veggies like carrot or parsnip can be fattening as they tend to be high in sugar, some others eaten in large amounts like cabbage could be gassy. I tend to limit the gassy veggies like broccoli, spring green and cabbage.

Pine beds should be fine, especially if the wood has been untreated. I had an pine double bed destroyed by two bunnies, no ill effect.

Not sure about mango but I would avoid.

One or two crunchies with a normal weight bunny should be fine.

catxx
01-10-2014, 11:20 AM

I would only ever use that line to explain to a child under 5 why they can't pick a rabbit up.

Sarah1991
01-10-2014, 11:25 AM
I would only ever use that line to explain to a child under 5 why they can't pick a rabbit up.

I always think about when I have kids, what I will tell them about the rabbits and how to handle them?

Obviously the rabbits would be older then. *touch wood* they will still be healthy and happy. When any children are babies they obviously won't know any better but I still want any children I have to ''know'' the rabbits well.

It'll be an adventure figuring it all out. I'm hoping any children I have will love bunnies as much as I do and know about their proper care!

I watched a really good video once which I post on pet selling sites on facebook, in groups and in lots of other places! Its called ''Are rabbits good pets for a child?'' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZOvUKyeR6A

I just think its very informative and sometimes a video made by an actual rabbit vet might convince someone more than me just saying ''that's not a good idea''

Anyone else think its a good video? Or not?

keletkezes
01-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Can rabbits eat too much veg?

Yes, depends on what you feed them, and on them! Mine eats lots of brambles, hawthorn and rose, with occasional 'real veg'. He's eating tons at the moment, and there's a lot less hay in his run than usual (from his strewing activities), and he was digging yesterday... Must be hungry from moulting! But no ill effects.

Are rabbits colourblind?

I read somewhere in some scientific thing that they might be: specific! :roll: I reckon that mine's partly deaf (or just hard of listening! >D) and all this about 360 vision doesn't apply to him... ;D

Will try and remember to post the picture I took yesterday of Lopsy discovering if he lifts his treatball, treats fall out!

Cari
01-10-2014, 12:33 PM
I have one, maybe best in health though I'm not sure...

Ellie's fur on her chin hasn't grown back after her last dental, will it grow back? It was a few months ago now.

B&B Buns
01-10-2014, 01:24 PM
Yes, my understanding is they can, but how much is too much depends on the veg and the rabbit.

I think it'd be too much if it upsets their digestion, or stops them eating enough hay / grass? Mine can't have much at all but they've had ongoing issues for a while that make them more sensitive. I know high calcium veg needs to be watched if they have bladder issues too. I guess if they were overweight it would be something to look at and maybe reduce as well.

Thanks for answers. Thought that would be the case with veg. Keep seeing that they should have lots of leafy greens, but it seems that leafy greens (spring greens, cabbage etc) make them gassy! Will stick to herbs and bunny safe branches from the garden I think! Although they are not overweight and don't seem to have any issues with my current regime :D

Tamsin
01-10-2014, 02:23 PM

Ellie's fur on her chin hasn't grown back after her last dental, will it grow back? It was a few months ago now.

Has she moulted since? Rabbit's fur doesn't grow continuously so sometimes it can take a moult before any new fur comes through :)

Tamsin
01-10-2014, 02:25 PM

Sometimes when Barney is lying down Chloe will go and dig at him which forces him to get up.

She might want his attention but it could also be a dominance thing, making another bun move out the way is a subtle way of reinforcing the message 'I am the boss'.

Kirotea
01-10-2014, 02:34 PM

Maddie's hair took about 3 times longer (about 5 months I think!) than Millie's to grow back after their spay and it grew back suddenly like one week she was bald and then she just wasn't!

Bunny Magics
01-10-2014, 02:41 PM

Oh Yes, Oh Yes....everyday!!!! :thumb:

Kirotea
01-10-2014, 02:43 PM

Is Chloe the boss? Maddie does this sometimes and will then take the spot where Millie was lay! :roll:

Bunny Magics
01-10-2014, 02:46 PM
...Following on with my reply to the 'newspaper in litter trays' question:

Yes

That tooo...I don't want my bunnies anywhere near a murderer or violent people X

Bunny Magics
01-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Wabbit Wednesday winter prep / housing photos and stories.....

Where should I post them?
Here or in Photos and Stories?
Ta! x

MummyBunnyEm
01-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Thank you Tamsin & Kirotea. She is a bossy boots so that would make sense :)

elmoandfern
01-10-2014, 03:06 PM
if i want to build something to go in my rabbit shed (like a box) what wood is safe and easily found? i'm always so nervous as fern is a big chewer

*lily*
01-10-2014, 03:12 PM
My question is regarding claw-clipping. Do they always need to be clipped? My boys claws look fine but they do lots of running around on paving and a wooden deck. Is this keeping their claws worn down?

When it's my daughters turn to clean litter trays I'll often go outside and find her with her nose burried in the newspaper, bunnies and litter trays forgotten! :roll: :lol:

I have never had to cut Louie's claws and I have had him for 5 years!

Tamsin
01-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Wabbit Wednesday winter prep / housing photos and stories.....

Where should I post them?
Here or in Photos and Stories?
Ta! x

Feel free to start your own thread in stories and photos - that way they won't get lost in the questions :)

Barn Yard Bunnies
01-10-2014, 04:50 PM

wow that's amazing and interesting too. Every time I have taken Mr Bennett to the vets and that is quite a few times a year, I am amazed they have never needed trimming either. In three years I have only trimmed a few claws twice.

parsnipbun
01-10-2014, 05:30 PM

I will be tacking this in the RWA Housing talk! Some wildies actually climb trees!!!!

Tamsin
01-10-2014, 05:35 PM
I will be tacking this in the RWA Housing talk! Some wildies actually climb trees!!!!

Scamp would given the opportunity, he climbs everything else :lol:

I think there is a difference between climbing - being in control of where and how high, and being plucked off the floor and 'flying' through the air without feet on solid ground or control of the landing.

Mandmcc
01-10-2014, 05:42 PM
I always think about when I have kids, what I will tell them about the rabbits and how to handle them?

Obviously the rabbits would be older then. *touch wood* they will still be healthy and happy. When any children are babies they obviously won't know any better but I still want any children I have to ''know'' the rabbits well.

It'll be an adventure figuring it all out. I'm hoping any children I have will love bunnies as much as I do and know about their proper care!

I watched a really good video once which I post on pet selling sites on facebook, in groups and in lots of other places! Its called ''Are rabbits good pets for a child?'' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZOvUKyeR6A

I just think its very informative and sometimes a video made by an actual rabbit vet might convince someone more than me just saying ''that's not a good idea''

Anyone else think its a good video? Or not?

I love all these videos, watched them all and think they're great! They've gotten me through some novice times; before I was introduced to RU of course 😉

mini lop1
01-10-2014, 06:45 PM
is it just coincidence, that my female rabbits have all lived longer then my males?

redlabel
01-10-2014, 07:19 PM
My question is about grooming. Poor Buttons always seems to be the one grooming + Bella rarely reciprocates.How is he likely to feel? Is it typical?

parsnipbun
01-10-2014, 07:27 PM
is it just coincidence, that my female rabbits have all lived longer then my males?

yes - all our males lived longer than our females!

katie88
01-10-2014, 07:57 PM

:lol: Yes!! I get my newspapers donated to me from family as I don't read the paper, but I often get engrossed in a story while I'm cleaning litter trays!

sierra*323
01-10-2014, 08:56 PM
:lol: Yes!! I get my newspapers donated to me from family as I don't read the paper, but I often get engrossed in a story while I'm cleaning litter trays!

Just a thought - I work for Costa and every day if the customers don't take them home we throw the papers in the recycling.

If anyone needs some and has a costa nearby, it might be worth asking if the Baristas will save you some

SJ_R
01-10-2014, 09:49 PM
I wonder why Amy doesn't lick my mum at all, when she licks practically everyone else? I think it's because my mum smokes and she doesn't like the smell, like how right now I have a pre shampoo hot oil treatment in my hair (...don't ask :lol:) and she's sulking because I don't smell right.

But then again, she licked my uncle when she met him, and he may or may not have been still smoking at the time.

*Funny*Bunny*
01-10-2014, 10:16 PM

Wow :shock: that's impressive! I don't even know how often I cut Lilly's claws just whenever needed, I have cut them at least twice this year, maybe three times.

When I cut them I always notice that she has one of her toes (can't remember which foot, but one of the outside claws) that is bent round and the claw is pointing nearly upside down, it's definitely been like that for a while and I'm thinking she must've broken it at some point :? but she's never once limped or anything whilst I've had her, so could a rabbit break a toe and have it heal at a funny angle and hardly notice? Because she's never once been off food or limped and that's what I would've expected from a broken toe! Or maybe she just has a funny toe! I can't remember specifically if it was like that when I first got her because I probably wasn't very observant the first time I clipped her claws!

cpayne
01-10-2014, 10:27 PM
How do rabbits know that begging will get them something. I know they know they look cute but Doughnut just suddenly starting to do it, I remember she didn't do it at 8 weeks when I had her. After a while she then added a twirl, twirling round in excitement in between begging. In other animals these are all tricks which are taught. Is it instinct?

SJ_R
01-10-2014, 11:11 PM
How do rabbits know that begging will get them something. I know they know they look cute but Doughnut just suddenly starting to do it, I remember she didn't do it at 8 weeks when I had her. After a while she then added a twirl, twirling round in excitement in between begging. In other animals these are all tricks which are taught. Is it instinct?

I wonder this too. Every morning when my mum goes to get me up for work, she gives Amy a biscuit; Amy usually goes ballistic for it, binkying about her cage. Then I get up a few minutes later, and she starts doing it again, expecting more biscuits from me. I'm not sure if she's hopeful for more or pretending she didn't get it.

She also, because her hay box is in the corner of her (dog crate) cage, likes to sit on top of it and put her front paws on the horizontal bars and beg very, very earnestly for food. Or she'll just sit and stare at me very longingly.

Wererabbit
01-10-2014, 11:59 PM
Always wondered if it's ok to let the rabbits free-run in the garden in the snow if its a sunny day? (a little way off yet, hopefully!)

Kirotea
02-10-2014, 12:02 AM

My two always seem to know when I'm going in the cupboard / fridge for something for them, even though I'm in there quite a lot getting things out for myself. I don't know how they do it!

Den
02-10-2014, 12:34 AM

Frequently.:lol::lol::lol:

Den
02-10-2014, 12:44 AM
My question is about grooming. Poor Buttons always seems to be the one grooming + Bella rarely reciprocates.How is he likely to feel? Is it typical?

My two are the same, Will grooms Nancy but seldom gets groomed back. She seems to groom him sometimes if noones looking. I've actually been late for work occasionally if I've seen her grooming him from the window. Their setup is right outside on our patio and if I'd gone out to get my bike she would have stopped. He doesnt seem particularly upset. But when she's washing herself he gets right underneath her (shes twice his size) in the hope he'll get a stray lick. Sometimes it works, more often than not it doesnt.

You'd think he'd like being brushed or stroke as he doesnt get groomed much, but no.

Tamsin
02-10-2014, 01:32 AM
Always wondered if it's ok to let the rabbits free-run in the garden in the snow if its a sunny day? (a little way off yet, hopefully!)

It's fine for healthy adults to play in snow, as long as they can access somewhere out of it when they've had enough. Just be careful with general free range safety as they'll be a lot more hungry predators that time of year.

Tamsin
02-10-2014, 01:35 AM
if i want to build something to go in my rabbit shed (like a box) what wood is safe and easily found? i'm always so nervous as fern is a big chewer

That's a good question, I'm not sure what the bunny huts are usually made from. Anyone know?

MightyMax
02-10-2014, 02:16 AM
...Following on with my reply to the 'newspaper in litter trays' question:

That tooo...I don't want my bunnies anywhere near a murderer or violent people X

Good thought - I agree :thumb:

keletkezes
02-10-2014, 01:27 PM
That's a good question, I'm not sure what the bunny huts are usually made from. Anyone know?Usually timber (as opposed to laminates or composites, so stuff stuck together like plywood or chipboard). Can't mbe more spefcific than that. My old rabbit used to chew and spit so we didn't worry much with him.

When I cut them I always notice that she has one of her toes (can't remember which foot, but one of the outside claws) that is bent round and the claw is pointing nearly upside down, it's definitely been like that for a while and I'm thinking she must've broken it at some point :? but she's never once limped or anything whilst I've had her, so could a rabbit break a toe and have it heal at a funny angle and hardly notice? Because she's never once been off food or limped and that's what I would've expected from a broken toe! Or maybe she just has a funny toe! I can't remember specifically if it was like that when I first got her because I probably wasn't very observant the first time I clipped her claws!One of Lopsy's is like that: sometimes it sits normally (or isn't noticeable), sometimes it sticks up weirdly. I think he might have permanently dislocated his toe, but then surely he'd be in pain and he doesn't mind me poking about at it to try and find out what's wrong. Well, he does mind, but not immediately, more because I've stopped fetching food! It's on his front left paw. Vet couldn't find anything wrong at his first healthcheck after I got him though so maybe it's just a weird toe! Might be to do with him launching himself at the run bars and trying to climb up them when he can smell beans...!

Sarah1989
02-10-2014, 02:01 PM
I've got one (a day late :roll::lol:)

I have two identical bunnies - Jacquetta & Lady Katherine. I can only tell them apart by personality, which is all well and good unless Lady Katherine gets I'll & therefore not her normal self.

Is there anything I can do to help identify them that won't hurt them in any way?

When they went in for spaying, the vet put a thin paper collar on them with their names on so they could tell them apart. It wasn't tight so no risk of strangling them so I've wondered if it would be possible to do something like that? I've also seen a bunny (not on here) who had a red collar on - probably that red collar the chocolate Lindt bunnies have - permanently.

Tamsin
02-10-2014, 02:41 PM
I've got one (a day late :roll::lol:)

I have two identical bunnies - Jacquetta & Lady Katherine. I can only tell them apart by personality, which is all well and good unless Lady Katherine gets I'll & therefore not her normal self.

Is there anything I can do to help identify them that won't hurt them in any way?

You could clip a tuft of hair from one - on the ear would be most obvious. I think I remember a rescue using dye on a litter of identical babies. I don't know how well food colouring would stay.

keletkezes
10-10-2014, 01:42 PM
One of Lopsy's is like that: sometimes it sits normally (or isn't noticeable), sometimes it sticks up weirdly. I think he might have permanently dislocated his toe, but then surely he'd be in pain and he doesn't mind me poking about at it to try and find out what's wrong. Well, he does mind, but not immediately, more because I've stopped fetching food! It's on his front left paw. Vet couldn't find anything wrong at his first healthcheck after I got him though so maybe it's just a weird toe! Might be to do with him launching himself at the run bars and trying to climb up them when he can smell beans...!Just realised this picture shows the toe in question, just about:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/p417x417/10345759_10101316771113928_7581192344364767560_n.j pg?oh=02f88383307960c91c0a016fefd7e7c0&oe=54B9F329&__gda__=1420872255_9a4314228ab63fa20057fbaf172c856 c

Tamsin
10-10-2014, 02:02 PM
A vet might be able to tell by feel but you might need an xray to really work out what's going on. I would guess that you're right, and old injury that's healed funny. It would be something to keep an eye on as it might cause arthritis as she gets older.