• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing then coughing.

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
Poppy has been her fine and usual self all day, about 20 minutes ago she just hopped forward sneezed once and made a coughing noise. She did it about 4 times in 5 minutes but since then she has been lying down and grooming herself like she usually does. When she did cough her ears would shoot upright and face forwards, I don't know if that means anything?

During those 5 minutes she was loafing and her eyes were half shut, they are now wide open and she's chilling all stretched out by her heat pad.

It scared the **** out of me so my bf rang the emergency vet because I found some old threads on infections and things, unfortunately the vet on call is one who hasn't got a bloody clue about rabbits :evil: He told us to keep an eye on her, I don't like listening to that tit though.

Our usual vet is in tomorrow so my question is do we wait until tomorrow with her or do something sooner? As quickly as it happened it (whatever it was) is now over and she is seemingly fine..

I'd say she had a bit of dust or something up her nose. I wouldn't worry too much unless she does it again or shows signs of being in pain/distress.

Thank you both :) I know it's late so I appreciate your replies, I didn't think I'd get any! Trust a scare to happen so late in the evening!

She can't eat hay but it is still used in her litter tray along with wood based cat litter, after the coughing/sneezing she jumped back into her litter tray, peed and them shoved her head in the now broken down litter :? (She always dogs a little hole before she wees for some reason) and promptly sneezed again, no cough that time though.

Her hay is cut up finely as she used to get it stuck down her throat and we'd have to pull it out. She is moulting atm and when she made the first coughing noise she was sitting by a small pile of her that has formed where she had been lying.

We'll get her to the vets anyway but I'm going to blitz the room again, change the blankets and make sure there is no dust/fur anywhere.

It has been over an hour now and she's just been acting normal. Lying by her heat pad, weeing, grooming herself etc.

Last edited:
Back