• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just need to vent!!

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Why do people pass on such stupid advice when they obviously don't know what they're talking about!! Just seen on a Facebook page someone asking advice as they were thinking of getting a hamster for their 2yr old daughter. Not surprisingly most if the comments said a hamster wouldn't be suitable... But many said a rabbit would be much better :evil: And she said she didn't want it to cost too much etc and someone said 'we got ours off a selling site paid £35 all in, once you've got them the upkeep costs are only about the same as a hamster' :shock: I dread to think... I don't know about u but I prob spend more on my rabbits a month than on my dogs! Ok so there's 4 of them, but in no way whatsoever does the cost of keeping my hamster come anywhere close!! Why would you ask on a Facebook page anyway, why not just google then at least they might come across proper knowledgable advice on forums like RU :?

Did someone put the record straight on the post and tell them the truth about rabbits and how much they cost?

This really gets my goat too.

The internet is RIGHT THERE, you are on it RIGHT NOW.

Google it for god sake..

Geez :roll:

Did someone put the record straight on the post and tell them the truth about rabbits and how much they cost?

I'm going to! Thought of using the RAWF poster that says rabbits are cheap pets to keep badly but thought some of the people would take offence! It's true though! They're obviously not looking after them properly if they barely spend any money and time on them :(

I'm going to! Thought of using the RAWF poster that says rabbits are cheap pets to keep badly but thought some of the people would take offence! It's true though! They're obviously not looking after them properly if they barely spend any money and time on them :(

I've got a bunny start up shopping list on my rescue FB page if that's of any use. Figures are only approximate of course but you could also link to the notes available - there are many and some might be enough to put hapless folks off choosing bunnies.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-rabbit-crossing/notes-available-on-this-page/488886637821735

I've just put this -

I definitely wouldn't recommend a rabbit, they are NOT cheap or easy pets to care for and are generally not keen on being handled. There is lots of info online about proper rabbit care, lots of useful info on here about housing requirements http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm They need large accommodation, need to be in neutered pairs, vaccinated, plus a constant supply of good quality hay. They are prone to health issues if not fed correctly. A healthy rabbit could live 10years plus so it's not a commitment to be taken lightly. I would recommend guinea pigs to be the most suitable pets to introduce to children, but again they have specific requirements and you should do your research before taking them on.

I've just put this -

I definitely wouldn't recommend a rabbit, they are NOT cheap or easy pets to care for and are generally not keen on being handled. There is lots of info online about proper rabbit care, lots of useful info on here about housing requirements http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm They need large accommodation, need to be in neutered pairs, vaccinated, plus a constant supply of good quality hay. They are prone to health issues if not fed correctly. A healthy rabbit could live 10years plus so it's not a commitment to be taken lightly. I would recommend guinea pigs to be the most suitable pets to introduce to children, but again they have specific requirements and you should do your research before taking them on.

What a cracking reply! :thumb: Let's hope they take note.

What a cracking reply! :thumb: Let's hope they take note.

Thank you, I rushed it a bit as I didn't want to lose the post! Hope they do take note, and some of the others too that seem to think rabbits are cheap and easy pets for kids :?

My faith has been restored a little bit as more people have commented about rabbits not being cheap/easy etc! The original poster seems to have taken it on board :)

This really gets my goat too.

The internet is RIGHT THERE, you are on it RIGHT NOW.

Google it for god sake..

Geez :roll:
This. All the time. Anyone who asks 'can I just...?' NO, YOU ARE ON THE INTERNET, DO IT YOURSELF LIKE THE REST OF US HAD TO! Obviously most people asking that question are sensible enough to find out something first and ask for clarification (heaven knows there's enough conflicting information on the internet!) but with an Advanced Search using specific terms, it's usually pretty easy to find some sort of knowledge. Even basic-term searching has moved on since I was using Excite in the 90s, and there's a lot less ****, believe it if you will!

More on topic, I was reading my P@H VIP magazine the other day and was pleased to see the photos of kids with dogs, and a ferret! :) No rabbits in sight, although they did have a section on houserabbits in the 'adult' bit.

Thankyou for sharing so we can vent too :)

Back