• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

baytril dosage query - now about anal glands abcess advice & treatment

chelle

Warren Veteran
Hi all
Apologies if this questions been asked. Archie has what is a burst abcess ..one small one in his anal glands and another big burst one on the side of the anal gland next to his penis. :-( we've cleaned it using hibiscrub...and the vets gave a pain relief ...think metacam injection and also a baytril injection. Ive got a 7 day baytril course....archie weighs just over 3kgs...the dose is 2.4mls (2.5%) once a day. It seems alot...is the dosage correct?

Hes otherwise fine in character...eating and playful. But the second larger abcess has quite a thick skinned wall. There also seems to be some white colouring under the smaller closed one linked to the large open one. Its closed itself...but is still large bump.

Thankyou...xx

Last edited:
Baytril 2.5 is 25 mg/ml. So a 2.4ml dose is 2.4x25 which is 60ml. For a 3kg rabbit, that's 20mg/kg daily, which is at the upper end of the range but it's the dose that my vet uses routinely when she uses baytril (it's the equivalent of 10mg/kg twice daily, but given in one go). She says that she finds it's just not worth using at lower doses, but at 20mg/kg it can be very effective. Once daily dosing is also a good thing, as baytril works on peak concentration so is more effective given as a large dose once daily rather than splitting the dose.

You have my sympathy at trying to get 2.4ml of baytril into a bunny, though!

Thank you guys....I was really battling to work out the maths on this. Glad its ok...and sounds effective. Hopefully it will really help archie. Abd.. im hoping to mix it up with banana...lol...lets see...lol. Thanks again....it confused me. Xx

Well..that was easy..I was worried he'd not like the taste..but mashed banana...the baytril stirred in well....he loved it...bum twitching and everything...lol. Indiana was even trying to have some...lol. thanks again guys. I do hope this clears up. Im really concerned as abcesses seems to not go away easily I've heard.

Well..that was easy..I was worried he'd not like the taste..but mashed banana...the baytril stirred in well....he loved it...bum twitching and everything...lol. Indiana was even trying to have some...lol. thanks again guys. I do hope this clears up. Im really concerned as abcesses seems to not go away easily I've heard.

It's Dental abscesses and ear abscesses that are the real :censored: Hope Archie continues to enjoy his Baytril and Banana mash !!

It's Dental abscesses and ear abscesses that are the real :censored: Hope Archie continues to enjoy his Baytril and Banana mash !!

aaah now thats good to know..thank you. We cleaned it again today and its clsoed itself up but is quite a big hard lump.:? The smaller one is letting out more puss which is fine...rather drain it out than it closes over. Just hope the swelling goes down...I can show pics but they one my phone and not sure how to get them onto here. Ill see if I can work that one out.

I am concerned its such a big lump.

Thanks guys.....I was really relieved when i saw it was you two answering..I trust you guys...lol:p Thanks again

aaah now thats good to know..thank you. We cleaned it again today and its clsoed itself up but is quite a big hard lump.:? The smaller one is letting out more puss which is fine...rather drain it out than it closes over. Just hope the swelling goes down...I can show pics but they one my phone and not sure how to get them onto here. Ill see if I can work that one out.

I am concerned its such a big lump.

Thanks guys.....I was really relieved when i saw it was you two answering..I trust you guys...lol:p Thanks again

If one has closed up it really needs to be looked at by the Vet again. It may need to be opened and if there is a lot of necrotic tissue surgery may be needed to debride it.

If one has closed up it really needs to be looked at by the Vet again. It may need to be opened and if there is a lot of necrotic tissue surgery may be needed to debride it.

Thanks Jane...Im keeping a beady eye on it...and I did wonder as its a lump still. It seems less inflamed..slightly smaller and the other small one seems alot better too. The larger tissue one I cleaned out quite thoroughly with hibiscrub the night before it closed...but would really have liked to have had another look inside. Its still a lump though but looks like its healing ...less sore and there is a small scab where the opening did burst. Archie doesnt seem to be fiddling with it much...I know my OH will not want me to go back to the vets due to cost and the advice from this one particular vet who Ive had an issue with before and had to end up seeing again..not a major issue just a vaccination coming straight thorugh the rabbit all over mee...was over a year ago now but he remembers me Im sure.

To be honest Im not sure they that great...when he first saw the lump he was like oh my word.. he said due to the size he really didnt want to burst it cause it would be a big gaping hole......then he said hed take a small sample...which I was aware would happen...but he could not do it..dont know why -he kept pushing it into the lump and out again and then it started to bleed. Then he squeezed it gently it burst and thick puss came out everywhere. All over archie fur and he looked inside and said it needs to be cleaned and he will give archie the injections for antibiotics and pain relief and the seven day course too. I said...oh - well you said you did not want to do that...and then I said well...do you want to clean it..he didnt really answer...so basically I took archie home and we cleaned him up ourselves..now anyone else who didnt have hibiscrub or the knowledge to not just leave it - the rabbit would have suffered. The puss was so thick i had to use my nails to scrap it through out of his fur..gross I know but thats how it was. I trimmed fur away with thick puss stuck in it and cleared the area as much as possible...annoyed me and was quite shocking really he let me leave with the rabbit like that. But maybe he thought I knew what to do and so left me to get on with it...but would have been surely the right thing to ensure the rabbit left the vet in a hygeniec clean state.

So not sure what everyones thoughts are on this now...I obviously dont want the infection to be stuck under the skin however I also dont want to break open the wound if its healing nicely and if the reason there is a lump is due to the thick skin which still looks healthy in itself and seems to have good blood flow. I will of course check again this evening.

Wouldnt the antibiotics heal anything left form the inside?

Archie gave me problems eating his mashed banana with baytril on the second day...so I mixed some pellet powder in it...he ate abit and then wouldnt touch it. Today I tried a little strawberry mashed in which he started with gusto and then just stopped it...so syrinage fed him...first time Ive done it and he was the perfect patient and duly licked it up even thought he wasnt keen...once again the advice on RU helped me know about putting it into his mouth and gently squeezing towards the side of his mouth and not down his throat. Lets hope tomorrow goes ok too.

Last edited:
Personally I would obtain a second opinion from another Vet. If there is still a hard lump evident then it could well be that there is a lot more pus underneath. The Baytril may not be able to get to the core of the infection. If the abscess were to start to track inwards that could mean big trouble, especially given its location. I would want to obtain the second opinion sooner rather than later.

I would think it needs a vet to re-open it. When Crunchie has his absess I was advised to try and keep it open and clean it daily, flushing with iodine. It was only once we got to the stage that the lump started shrinking and the pus (which is like toothpaste) was no longer re-filling that we allowed it to heal up. My vet was happy for me to gently remove the scab if necessary but it was on his back, I'm not sure I would do that in such a sensitive area.

I hate to say it, as it's more cost for you, but I would see a vet who was willing to open it, clean it thoroughly (under sedation/ anaesthetic) and completely clean out the wound and abscess cavity.

It's often unproductive to culture the pus to find the right antibiotic, but a good vet will have had experience of this and know which one (or two) antibiotic/s to go for.

I think unless you get to the bottom of this (sorry) then I think you may be storing up problems, as rabbits wall off their abscesses and it's hard for most antibiotics to penetrate successfully. It needs to be eradicated and then you can feel confident that it won't come back. Ever.

I hate to say it, as it's more cost for you, but I would see a vet who was willing to open it, clean it thoroughly (under sedation/ anaesthetic) and completely clean out the wound and abscess cavity.

It's often unproductive to culture the pus to find the right antibiotic, but a good vet will have had experience of this and know which one (or two) antibiotic/s to go for.

I think unless you get to the bottom of this (sorry) then I think you may be storing up problems, as rabbits wall off their abscesses and it's hard for most antibiotics to penetrate successfully. It needs to be eradicated and then you can feel confident that it won't come back. Ever.

this :wave:

Thanks all. So I decided to clean it again with hibiscrub as i saw fur stuck and archie did fiddle with it after that. The scab has come off and it looks abit infected I think. Its akso sensitive.. which it wasn't befire...not as much. It us still kess inflamed which is good. My oh cleaned it today and he thought that too but also thought abit infected. I'll chat to him as im worried about it retracting too. He pays though. If it doesn't reduce more or look better by monday...I hope to see another vet. Its coming to the point where a 45min journey might be better uf the vets better. :-( just so far for an emergency and buns stress.

Back