• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fast breathing, dribbling but running about, still eating,

NanooNanoo

New Kit
Hi,

I'm really worried about my bun, he wouldn't eat his breakfast this morning and seemed to be struggling breathing and wasn't moving much, he'd let us pick him up and sit on our knee (something he'd normally hate). We took him to the vet who said he had a chest infection and gave him antibiotics and a painkiller. He's due to go back later this week for a check up.

He seemed to improve pretty quickly and ate some greens when he got home, since then he's started to run about a bit but his breathing seems worse to me. He's tipping his head right back and baring his teeth to try and get more air in? Not drunk anything, but I made sure the greens I gave him were wet to make sure he got some fluids in.

I don't think he's eaten any hay today. If he has, not much. He'd normally eat loads.

Any advice?

Thanks

Rach & Mork (poorly bun)
x

tipping his head back is a very bad sign indeed -

I would have him to an emergency vet if you think there is one around that is good with rabbits.

Failing that I would definitely be back at your own vets asap - which antibiotics did they give?

I think you'd probably be best seeing a vet ASAP. The tipping-head-back thing is a sign of a poorly bun :(

How good is your vets? If you took Mook back tonight, do you think they would know what to do?

I see you're in Manchester. Have you heard of Ashleigh Vets, in Chorlton? I've never used them myself but they've got good reviews on here and have their own Out of Hours service according to their website. Out of Hours fees are expensive, but it does sound like Mook is quite poorly and personally I'd take him in tonight.

ETA - just realised it's Mork, not Mook. Sorry, OP!

Last edited:
I think you'd probably be best seeing a vet ASAP. The tipping-head-back thing is a sign of a poorly bun :(

How good is your vets? If you took Mook back tonight, do you think they would know what to do?

I see you're in Manchester. Have you heard of Ashleigh Vets, in Chorlton? I've never used them myself but they've got good reviews on here and have their own Out of Hours service according to their website. Out of Hours fees are expensive, but it does sound like Mook is quite poorly and personally I'd take him in tonight.

so pleased someone was able to suggest a rabbity vet in location close to the OP!

It sounds like he is mouth breathing and that is generally considered a sign of an emergency in rabbits. I would call your vet and see what they say - personally I would insist he is seen and admitted for overnight care.

I hope he is doing better soon.

Sad news

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your advice last night. I'm very sorry to tell you that my gorgeous Mork died. I'm just glad he isn't suffering anymore, he deteriorated pretty fast. He's hopping about having a lovely time with his sister now who left us earlier this year.

Thank you again for your help.

Rach xx

Back