• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit ''Faces''

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
Just looking through a couple of photos of the boys. We had a nice chill in the front room yesterday afternoon and I noticed the big changes my boys have been through recently.

They are obviously growing up, they are nearly 8 months old now and not babies any more! :lol: As some may already know they didn't come from the same litter, they were the same age bar a few days I think as the breeder I got them from had several litters at once from several mums (Its strange to think that sort of disgusts me now when back then I thought it was adorable...:?), they were a separate litter, but were together from being 6 weeks old. I originally thought I was doing a good thing by picking two boys from separate litters in case the breeder was wrong about the sex of one of them, then if for whatever reason any babies ever came along they wouldn't be to a brother and sister, what I have learned since then!

Long story short anyway, they always looked the same to me, like they could have come from the same litter, they had similar colours and little round faces. As they have grown Finn has become really fluffy, his face has always stayed quite round, Milo on the other hand is a little less fluffy, his face has become long and his eyes are really expressive. He looks like a ''bloke'' to me :lol:

It sort of makes me wish I'd payed more attention to what their mums and dads looked like. I wonder if there are any other breeds ''in'' them from way back or its just a coincidence? All the rabbits the breeder had were supposedly mini lops, but some were huge, some had longer ears etc etc. I don't think they were really all ''mini lops'' just ''lops''

Tell me I'm not mad can anyone else see the big difference in their faces?

Last edited:
I can definitely tell a difference in their faces, Milo has a slightly longer face and Finn's is more squished!

It's weird though that you say the longer more slender face makes him look like a "bloke" to you, because to me squished round faces a boy faces and long, slender faces are girl faces because that's what I'm used to in Harvey and Lilly!

There are certain lops that naturally have a much flatter face I think, I know Harvey was a dwarf lop and had a very flat face. So maybe if someone knows more about face shapes of the different lops types that would indicate which types are showing through in yours or whether it's likely that Milo has something less loppy in him giving him a slightly longer face?

Regardless they're both adorable :love:

I agree, Milo's nose and face is more pointed and long and Finn has a flatter face! I will try and get a profile photo of Illy and Chinook for you; they're sisters but their faces are slightly different. Chin's face is much flatter than Illy's and incidentally Illy is bigger in size and has a bigger dewlap too. Elmo is too fluffy to be able to tell what shape is under there! :love:

I, too, think that the more "squishy" faces are little girls...don't ask me why...I mis-gendered Mimzy when he was wee because he was dumped with two REW's and they had much longer faces (of course)...plus they were always spraying Mimzy like he was their property. (Poor bub...he just wasn't a macho bun is all.) Little did I know at the time that the girls can spray also...therefore I have no idea what gender the REW's were, but I took them for two boys.

Mini-lops definitely have the shorter faces. Regular lops not so much. The shorter faces, whilst cute, are also a source of health concern as the nasal passages aren't developed as they should be. This was one of the reasons given me for all Mimzy's URI issues. He actually has a defect that causes pockets of infection to form there, though oddly he hasn't had much trouble with his nose since his head tilt. :?

Definitely see a difference between Milo and Finn...but I will add that they are just so adorable, both of them. :love: They could be colored pink with purple polka dots and couldn't possible be cuter, whether their noses are long or short! :D

I just got to wondering exactly where their ''history'' came from. I still have the breeders number, I often think of ringing her and seeing if she has any bunnies still.

When I got Milo and Finn those litters were her ''last'' apparently. She said she was getting old and couldn't clean them out any more. So she wasn't having any more after them. Her bunnies were beautiful. She had a little boy called Barney who would race to the front of his enclosure to see you. He was lovely. It was just a shame they were mostly breeding rabbits... :(

Back