• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can a rabbit be spayed too young?

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
I have a female who is mental - she grunts and honks and circles when excited especially at meal times. I know un-neutered bunnies do this.

She was in a rescue who spayed her before I took her home. she was just a tiny baby.. 16 weeks estimated at the time.

Could a spay that was done so early not work re hormones?

A spay removes the entire uterus and ovaries which is why it has an effect on the sex hormones. It should work regardless of the age at which it is done.

However, if a small part of the uterus is left behind, this can continue to produce the hormones. But some rabbits do circle and honk regardless of whether they are neutered or not, that could just be part of her nature - just like some rabbits are still territorial and scent-mark after neutering.

I have a female who is mental - she grunts and honks and circles when excited especially at meal times. I know un-neutered bunnies do this.

She was in a rescue who spayed her before I took her home. she was just a tiny baby.. 16 weeks estimated at the time.

Could a spay that was done so early not work re hormones?

Oh my gosh ...She sounds just like my Rosie. She is forever vocalising in some manner. She does a lot of honking, grunting and even growling sometimes. She especially does this when we walk past her while eating pellets. She was neutered at around 14 to 16 weeks.

We have discussed her temperament with our vet and he thinks she might have too much testosterone !!! xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Back