• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bald patch - please help!

Hello everyone, I have 2 buns called Crystal and Zoe. I've had them ever since they were about 6 months old and now they are about 8 nearly 9 years old. Zoe has never had any problems apart from a hard lump on her belly which we've had checked out by the vets and they have said its fine but i'm not sure if it is just fine. Anyway, with her age she has become quite 'moth-eaten' as my mum put it, so I started grooming her about 2/3 weeks ago and her coat has evened out and improved. However, today when I was grooming her, she seems to have a hole in her fur on her lower back (rump if you like) where it is bald and has some short hair. I'm quite concerned, it can't be her summer coat coming through already as we're already into September? What is it and should I stop grooming her? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, considering taking her to the vet anyway.

Thanks, Jess

Hello everyone, I have 2 buns called Crystal and Zoe. I've had them ever since they were about 6 months old and now they are about 8 nearly 9 years old. Zoe has never had any problems apart from a hard lump on her belly which we've had checked out by the vets and they have said its fine but i'm not sure if it is just fine. Anyway, with her age she has become quite 'moth-eaten' as my mum put it, so I started grooming her about 2/3 weeks ago and her coat has evened out and improved. However, today when I was grooming her, she seems to have a hole in her fur on her lower back (rump if you like) where it is bald and has some short hair. I'm quite concerned, it can't be her summer coat coming through already as we're already into September? What is it and should I stop grooming her? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, considering taking her to the vet anyway.

Thanks, Jess

Hello. Do you think your other bun could have nipped her and pulled some fur out? That area is generally the place where buns pull fur out from when they get annoyed with each other.

It could be a heavy moult or mites but without a pic, it's difficult to say. If you are worried you could pop her to the vet. :)

No dont think Crystal would bite her, Zoe is the leader out of the two of them!:lol: I think it might be heavy malting as it has been really quite warm for September but not sure there seems to be a little dandruff where the little patch is, but I think I will take her to the vets just to be sure. Thanks for the reply!:)

No dont think Crystal would bite her, Zoe is the leader out of the two of them!:lol: I think it might be heavy malting as it has been really quite warm for September but not sure there seems to be a little dandruff where the little patch is, but I think I will take her to the vets just to be sure. Thanks for the reply!:)

Dandruff is often an indication of fur mites, which is easily treatable by the vet

Back