• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"pet rabbits kept alone face 'frustration' and 'fear'"

It's a shame it didn't go on to list ways to make their lives better. e.g. say that neutering is normal for bunnies now or to say that these single bunnies don't need to be in a hutch but can be wonderful house pets.

That's good news. That should make some people think twice.

I wish so much that it would say 'and guinea pigs' on these sorts of things though. Especially since guinea pigs were mentioned as animals that shouldn't be kept with rabbits.

It's a shame it didn't go on to list ways to make their lives better. e.g. say that neutering is normal for bunnies now or to say that these single bunnies don't need to be in a hutch but can be wonderful house pets.

It did say 'Rabbits need the companionship of other rabbits and should never be kept alone or with guinea-pigs. The best combination is a neutered female and a neutered male rabbit.'

There was also a reference to thinking twice before buying them as pets for children.

It did say 'Rabbits need the companionship of other rabbits and should never be kept alone or with guinea-pigs. The best combination is a neutered female and a neutered male rabbit.'

There was also a reference to thinking twice before buying them as pets for children.

I meant more practical things though, as I expect a lot of people would think neutering is dangerous/a bad idea for rabbits and wouldn't pay much attention to that sadly.

I meant more practical things though, as I expect a lot of people would think neutering is dangerous/a bad idea for rabbits and wouldn't pay much attention to that sadly.

Yes it should have said something about accommodation and mentioned house rabbits as an option, but I do think that it is a good start.

It's a really good start and if it even makes a handful of people re-think things regarding a pet rabbit then it'll be worth it. :)

Hi guys:wave::wave:

To get high profile coverage is always brilliant and a step in the right direction but I think caution should be used in stating that ALL rabbits should have companions as just IMO a measured view should be taken as in many rescues I'm sure many have come across bunnies whom choose not to be bonded and are far happier on their own with the right human interaction. Just concerns me a little that this seems very black and white regarding bunnies always having the social interaction of their own kind when we know bunnies are everything but lol!

Happy about getting the press coverage though it all helps:thumb::thumb:

Back