• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh help, fleas!

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
So it looks like both my houserabbits have fleas. I don't know whether they picked them up in boarding or if they've come from my landlady's cats.

I've been looking through some past threads and it seems like I need to treat them with Advantage? Is this correct? Will I also need to treat the carpet that's under their pen, and if so, what can I use that's rabbit safe?

Also, what are people's experiences with rabbit fleas - did they shift ok or was it a total nightmare? Luckily it seems like a new infestation, only the fronts of their faces are affected, they're pretty clean everywhere else.

*sigh*

We got rid quite easily with I think it was advantage from the vets and then sprayed all the house with indorex. Good luck

Last edited:
I have been wondering, are rabbit fleas the same as cat fleas? My cats have had fleas recently and they sometimes go in the rabbit shed. :?

I treated the rabbits with some spot on from Pets at Home just in case, and I haven't found any droppings in their fur.

Last edited:
My boy got fleas after we moved into a property where the previous tenant had cats.
We got acclaim spray and I think it was advantage from the vet nurse. I paid 42 for both but didn't have to pay for consult as I just went to the nurse clinic.
I had to put Otto outside for 24 hours when I sprayed the Acclaim, is that an option for you?
I did 4 treatments of Advantage, 1 week apart and have had no problems since.
I'd recommend a flea comb as you can get rid of a lot that way, have a bowl of hot water to hand to rinse the comb with.

Cheers guys - bit worried about treating the carpets as I have absolutely nowhere else to put the bunnies, I live in a single room and there's no outdoor space :? Is there anything safe to use while they're still in here?

Back