• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What am I doing wrong? Myxi

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
I have had five rabbits as an adult. I have lost two. Both to myxi. Two years apart.

What am I doing wrong? Can I prevent them getting it? Both were vaccinated but both lost their lives. They all live outside. Both caught it end September.

What else can I do to stop the others getting it? Any advice appreciated please xxx

The only thing I can recommend you do until about November is keep them off the ground and as high up as possible. Try to prevent any wildies from coming in. I am sorry you have lost 2 to this horrid disease.

I dont think you are doing anything wrong, you have simply been dreadfully unlucky :cry:

As well as vaccinations then other things to consider are flea treating all pets, removing/covering any standing water from around the Rabbit's environment (standing water attracts mozzies) and using fly netting over the Rabbit's accommodation.

Myxi is evil and sadly not even the new vaccine can offer 100% protection :cry:

standing water close to you (ponds, ditches, water features, water butts for water collection etc) will attract mossies - but other that trying to eliminate any of those there os not a lot you can do. I am so sorry.

I have had five rabbits as an adult. I have lost two. Both to myxi. Two years apart.

What am I doing wrong? Can I prevent them getting it? Both were vaccinated but both lost their lives. They all live outside. Both caught it end September.

What else can I do to stop the others getting it? Any advice appreciated please xxx

If there's any standing water nearby, of any sort, put a drop of ordinary cooking oil onto the surface of the water. This forms a thin film on the water into which the mozzies won’t lay their eggs, and it stays floating on the surface.

I'm sorry you've had such bad luck :cry:

How horrid. I am sorry. :( The jabs need redoing every 6 months for the ultimate protection. I live out in the country and am unfortunately surrounded by myxi-ridden wildies. My old rabbit Pickles contracted it years ago. The vet didn't recognise the swellings (at the base of his ears, and a small one on his nose) as myxi but I think it must have been the nodular variety. She gave him a course of antibiotics. I don't know whether that would have helped or not but a week or so later the scabs fell off and he was good as new.

Do your buns live in a hutch outdoors? A shed would probably offer another layer of protection if so?

They live in a summerhouse with attached aviary. The aviary has a roof but the sides are all meshed. they have 24 hour access.

I'm so sorry :( Were the bunnies related? How far into their year of protection did they come down with the myxi? Do you have wild bunnies visit your garden or do you see them nearby? (sorry for all the questions). It is such a worry when things like this happen isn't it, especially as something like myxi is so difficult to control :(

I'm so sorry :( Were the bunnies related? How far into their year of protection did they come down with the myxi? Do you have wild bunnies visit your garden or do you see them nearby? (sorry for all the questions). It is such a worry when things like this happen isn't it, especially as something like myxi is so difficult to control :(

Hi The bunnies were not related. Twinkle was vaccinated fairly near to when she caught it, but Pickle was probably halfway through the year with his. I have never seen wild bunnies near by or in the garden. We have foxes but not seen them for a while. lots of local cats visit our garden.

Back