• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male rabbits

Hi,

I'm new here, today we picked up 2 mini lop brothers 5 and half months old from a local breeder, She told us that they don't need to be neutered as they have been together since birth and they will not fight.

I'm so worried in case this is wrong. Is it safer to get them both neutered?

Yes they will definitely need to be neutered, I'm afraid she is incorrect. Male bunnies will almost always fight if they are kept together once they reach sexual maturity, and they usually go straight for the testicles. Something like a change in home is likely to be a trigger, because there is a new territory for them to fight over, so please do keep a very close eye on them. At their age, they should be ready to be done and personally I would be on the phone to your vet first thing Monday morning asking to book them in ASAP. I don't mean to frighten you, but at their age it could happen at any time and especially now they have moved. If they do fight seriously, it's unlikely that you'd be able to rebound them, so I would definitely get them booked in ASAP.

A few months back via a thread on RU, I ended up temporarily looking after two really sweet, very young brothers who I took straight to my vets on collecting them because one of them had partially castrated the other, and he had to have an emergency op there and then to 'finish the job'. It is extremely common, unfortunately.

Hopefully your two are nice and content together and will stay that way until you're able to get them booked in. If they can be done this week, that would be ideal and they can stay together throughout the op and when they come home.

Yes pleeaaasssseeee neuter them.

They might live together forever quite happily and never become hormonal. Or one day one of them will get just that little bit too excited about something and start chasing/humping and suddenly you have a full on fight on your hands :shock:

Once 2 rabbits have had a real fight and especially if they have drawn blood it can make it very very hard to rebond them.

I had 2 baby boys, been together since birth. I had them booked in to be neutered ASAP but one lad got a respiratory illness the week I wanted to neuter so I postponed it for a couple of weeks... Hormones hit :shock: I ended up with 2 bleeding bunnies (superficial wounds) and even after they had been neutered and I waited 2 months for their hormones to settle they refused to rebond. I had to get each of them a new partner so my 2 buns turned into 4!!! :shock: :roll:

Just to echo what everyone else has said - yes, neuter them! Apart from anything else entire males are really whiffy! :mrgreen: Neutered buns smell delicious! :love:

Yes as above definitely neuter and keep an eye on them if they are in together, they can do a lot of damage shut in a cage together if they fight.

Welcome to the forum :wave: we need pictures!

I'd definitely opt for neutering, you might have the one set of bunnies that won't fight, but unneutered males fighting is very common and if they do fight they usually hold a grudge :lol:

It helps with litter training etc too :)

Have you got names yet?

just to echo everyone else, yes have them neutered :D

they should be old enough now, just make sure you use an experienced rabbit vet :wave:

we'd love to see photos too :D

Back