• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dutch Rabbits

Rosalyn

New Kit
Hello,

I am a potential rabbit owner. My daughter has her heart set on getting a couple of dutch rabbits. We live in Worcestershire and would like to know if there are any breeders locally that may be able to help.

Many thanks for any assistance

Roz

I can't recommend specific breeders but you can get in touch with them via the British Rabbit Council - www.thebrc.org

I'd recommend doing some research on rabbits first as rabbit breeders know a lot about breeding, but often do things quite differently to people keeping pets. The Rabbit Welfare Association www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk is a good source of advice. This downloadable booklet has some good starting points: http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/RWAbrochuremaster.pdf

You'd need to think about what you want re girls/boys. The best match is a girl/boy but they'll obviously need neutering to prevent hoards of babies, so if you get babies you'd need to keep them separate. Two boys are more likely to fight so best avoided. Girls are a slightly safer bet but still need to neutering to prevent fights.

Happybun's suggest of a rescue is worth a thought, dutch rabbits are quite common and you shouldn't have trouble finding some in rescue. They often have babies as well as adults and they'll sort out neutering/vaccination for you.

Awww. My rabbits were Dutchies. They were the light of my life. Darling things!

How old is your daughter? Have you had buns before? Were you thinking in terms of house bunnies or would they live outdoors?

I absolutely love Dutchies, they are a fantastically intelligent little rabbit. My two girls are brilliant. ;)

I would also recommend going to a rescue as:-
they will already be vaccinated and neutered/spayed which will save you a lot of money.
you know that they will get on together if they are already bonded, which is not always the case with bunnies, even siblings from the same litter might not get on.
You will have a much better idea of their temperament - if you buy from a breeder when they grow up their personalities can change.
You might find you fall in love with a rabbit based on their temperament, rather than looks.
They don't stay babies for long.
There is a website where you can find your local rescues http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk

Last edited:
:wave: Hi I'm in Worcestershire too. I got my two rabbits in January. I was going to try and find a breeder too at time but I ended up looking at RSPCA Worcester and met Millie and Maddie who were not only absolutely gorgeous but had been spayed, vaccinated, health checked and clearly had an amazing bond. Plus they were able to tell me about their personalities which meant I knew they would be good house bunnies.

If you give them a Google and a call they'll be able to tell you if they have any dutch bunnies, I know they had a couple when I was looking so they do get them. Or you might fall in love with somebunny, I was looking for mini lops orginally and my girls are completely different but I wouldn't change them for the world!

ETA: There are plenty of young rabbits in rescue too if that's a concern. My two were only 4 months old.

Last edited:
Another vote for rescue buns here! :thumb: My boys are rescues and I love them to bits (plus it feels so good to have given them a luxury home when they started life with so little).

IF you are absolutely dead set on a breeder then I'd really advise doing home visits to any breeders you find. Have a look at their rabbits, their setups/accommodation etc. You'll be able to tell a lot from that, even just their willingness to allow you to come and look is a good sign, and the difference between someone breeding for a pure passion and love for the breed and someone just out to make a buck will be easy to see.

I ADORE MY DUTCHES.....I rescued them from a bad pet shop...and glad I did.
If and when I get more... I'll go to the Rescues, every time!
Do try the Rescues first. Best of luck!!! :wave:

Back