• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh My Goodness - Has Anyone Else Heard This?

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
Someone has just told me that "they" have released 5 more strains of Myxo into the wild. Has anyone else heard this. The vaccine only covers 3 apparently. It makes you so sick doesn't it.

It's not something I've heard and I'm guessing it's just rumour anyway. Try not to worry unless it's actually 'fact'. I'm sure the vaccine manufacturers would have something to say so you could always contact them for a response if you're really worried.

I suspect it's a made up rumour, to be honest! Myxi is rife enough without a cackling scientist in a laboratory somewhere tinkering about with it to create new strains. I'm sure there is some natural variation in strains with some more virulent than others, but I suspect that's all there is to it.

Told by whom? Any evidence at all to back it up? It seems very unlikely considering it's currently illegal to deliberately spread myxi for population control.

do vaccines actually work anyway? do they cause more harm than good?

What else is in those vaccines? Are vaccines just a money making ruse?

Remember bird flu? Donald Rumsfeld made an estimated $5 million from his interests in Gilead, the makers of Tamiflu. Funny that eh?

Just thought I'd stick my annoying oar in. I have had one vaccination in my life. My bunny had none. I am in my 40's, he got to 8.

do vaccines actually work anyway?

Yes they do. We live surrounded by wild bunnies and the warren has been completely obliterated by myxi, and I do mean completely obliterated. From being able to look out of any window at any time of day and see about 20 rabbits at any time, I have seen one rabbit in total in about the past 3 weeks. There is even dandelion growing in the lawn now.

I have 6 rabbits here, all vaccinated. One of them got one myxi nodule, proving that she has been infected with myxomatosis. But because of the vaccine, all she got was one nodule. If she hadn't been vaccinated, she'd be dead now. The other five are all myxi free, while the wild rabbits have virtually all been killed by it. Pretty compelling evidence in my book.

I suspect it's a made up rumour, to be honest! Myxi is rife enough without a cackling scientist in a laboratory somewhere tinkering about with it to create new strains. I'm sure there is some natural variation in strains with some more virulent than others, but I suspect that's all there is to it.

This! I'm no scientist, but viruses naturally mutate, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were different strains about, but not a deliberate attempt to create more.

Yes they do. We live surrounded by wild bunnies and the warren has been completely obliterated by myxi, and I do mean completely obliterated. From being able to look out of any window at any time of day and see about 20 rabbits at any time, I have seen one rabbit in total in about the past 3 weeks. There is even dandelion growing in the lawn now.

I have 6 rabbits here, all vaccinated. One of them got one myxi nodule, proving that she has been infected with myxomatosis. But because of the vaccine, all she got was one nodule. If she hadn't been vaccinated, she'd be dead now. The other five are all myxi free, while the wild rabbits have virtually all been killed by it. Pretty compelling evidence in my book.

This.

Vaccines are rigorously tested and the results are out there in the public domain. I was told by a vet a long time ago that as I had indoor rabbits and no local wildies I didn't need to vaccinate... I was lucky with those 2. But then later in life I got another bun, thought "oh, I never vaccinated my last buns and they were fine" so didn't vaccinate... My rabbit died :cry: I suspect VHD although I didn't have a PM done.

Thankfully advice has now changed to say that all healthy rabbits should be vaccinated and all of mine are and always will be. Diseases can be carried by biting insects and so having indoor buns is not protection enough.

do vaccines actually work anyway? do they cause more harm than good?

What else is in those vaccines? Are vaccines just a money making ruse?

Remember bird flu? Donald Rumsfeld made an estimated $5 million from his interests in Gilead, the makers of Tamiflu. Funny that eh?

Just thought I'd stick my annoying oar in. I have had one vaccination in my life. My bunny had none. I am in my 40's, he got to 8.

It's like comparing apples to oranges. Tamiflu wasn't a vaccine it was an antiviral drug. It even does what it says on the box - reduces viruses reproduction rate - it just wouldn't have been massively effective in controlling a birdflu epidemic.

You might not be protected by a vaccination, but what you are protected by is all the people around you that are vaccinated. Once you reach a certain level of vaccination against a disease in the human population, then the odds of getting it if you aren't vaccinated dramatically decrease because you don't meet anyone with the disease to catch it from. If you hang out with someone that's got measles or scarlet fever you might change your mind pretty quick! It's why we are now having measles breakouts again, the levels of vaccination within the population dropped because everyone though 'no one gets measles now I don't need to vaccinate' and once a case happens it spreads like crazy because people aren't protected.

Rabbit's don't have that benefit of a vaccinated community, there are plenty of rabbits to catch it from in close proximity. It's also spread by biting insects so travels further. You can catch any of the things a human in the UK would vaccinated without coming into contact with a person with that disease eg. getting sneezed on :lol: where as myxi can travel miles carried by insects.

Good post Tamsin.:thumb:

We have a myxo outbreak on our door step, and rabbits are dying all over the place, Mike has had to PTS about 5 in the last fortnight, and those are only the ones we have found.
So far all my buns are ok, if not vaccinated most would be dead.

It's horrible for the wildies, we had a lot of babies this year due to the mild winter, some were so tame you could get to within a foot of them. Some live in the stable nibbling on the horses' hay.
It's not nice to see their eyes start to get red and then find them immobilised or dead a week or so later. I can't do it, but poor Mike gets the job of putting them out if their misery, he feel awful about doing it but I'm quite proud of him, to put himself through it to relieve suffering.

Fairly Beloved Rabbit Care had posted a week or so ago that Myxi was rife in the surrounding areas.

Its a worry..

Back