• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2nd hand Preloved bunnies - shocking!

Miss Binky Bunny

Alpha Buck
I'm horrified. I didn't know till reading a thread on here that Preloved even advertised rabbits. Looking for some furniture today, on a whim I typed in "rabbit" as a local search on there. Out of 3 of the ads I clicked on, one was from someone trying to get rid of 40 (yes, 40!!!) New Zealand Whites for £25 EACH "due to work schedule," and in the pics over a dozen buns can be seen in 2 double tier cages! Then another was for a 6 yo house bun, whom however much he may have been loved, still says " is neutered and had his Myxomatosis injection in 2008." And, "is litter trained and has 1 bowl of pellets a day which works out as a very cost affective pet." :cry::evil::cry:

One of my bunnies came from the Preloved site, via someone in Birmingham. I think he must have been loved at one time, but hadn't been for a very long time since the family got a dog and decided they didn't want him any more.

I was shocked at the size of his cage (which came with him) and totally appalled by the carrier he was using. It was literally a hamster carrier, and he couldn't move once in it :shock::shock:

why has the 40 buns one not been reported :evil: some people should not be aloud pets ever! they disgust me

as for the other add seen that on there ( just searched it) hope that rabbit gets a better life with a new owner.

Preloved are a good site in general just think some adds should be monitored and reported if needed....

why has the 40 buns one not been reported :evil: some people should not be aloud pets ever! they disgust me

as for the other add seen that on there ( just searched it) hope that rabbit gets a better life with a new owner.

Preloved are a good site in general just think some adds should be monitored and reported if needed....

From what Jane's post says, they aren't pets. I have no idea what the laws for "non pets" are. It's just all so wrong... I really hope some of them can find good homes.

From what Jane's post says, they aren't pets. I have no idea what the laws for "non pets" are. It's just all so wrong... I really hope some of them can find good homes.

To be honest, at least there are laws governing rabbits bred for meat in the UK. It doesn't mean they are adhered to. But they are there.

On Spanish rabbits farms, where a lot of UK restaurant meat and supermarket rabbit comes from, there are absolutely no welfare laws.
The rabbits live in cages on wire their whole lives. They are not stunned before having their throats slit.

There was a recent post on the same site and area where the person wants 2 buns under 4 months for pets, either 2 females or mixed sex. I'm not a premium member there, but if anyone else is, perhaps they could direct person to the NZ whites?

To be honest, at least there are laws governing rabbits bred for meat in the UK. It doesn't mean they are adhered to. But they are there.

On Spanish rabbits farms, where a lot of UK restaurant meat and supermarket rabbit comes from, there are absolutely no welfare laws.
The rabbits live in cages on wire their whole lives. They are not stunned before having their throats slit.

:cry:

It wasn't the site that shocked me, my criticism would not be at Preloved. Any possibility for these buns to find better homes is a positive thing. It's the conditions the 40 buns are living in and level of ignorance concerning rabbit welfare and needs, which I find shocking in this day and age. Information is just a Google away.

It wasn't the site that shocked me, my criticism would not be at Preloved. Any possibility for these buns to find better homes is a positive thing. It's the conditions the 40 buns are living in and level of ignorance concerning rabbit welfare and needs, which I find shocking in this day and age. Information is just a Google away.

Animals bred for meat are not required to have the same level of care as our pets. It's a whole different world.

I'm horrified. I didn't know till reading a thread on here that Preloved even advertised rabbits. Looking for some furniture today, on a whim I typed in "rabbit" as a local search on there. Out of 3 of the ads I clicked on, one was from someone trying to get rid of 40 (yes, 40!!!) New Zealand Whites for £25 EACH "due to work schedule," and in the pics over a dozen buns can be seen in 2 double tier cages! Then another was for a 6 yo house bun, whom however much he may have been loved, still says " is neutered and had his Myxomatosis injection in 2008." And, "is litter trained and has 1 bowl of pellets a day which works out as a very cost affective pet." :cry::evil::cry:

I saw those too...

As for the 6 year old, tragic.. but hey he has survived on the pellets!?!

If I was rich I'd house them all. If I won the lottery I'd open a rescue centre.

Jane contacted the advertiser. From what Jane said, the person won't give the buns away. if anyone can offer a home to any of them, Angie from Barnsley has offered to transport a couple north as she is in London this weekend. You'd need to contact Angie though, check Jane's posts.

Back