• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam dosage help please

natandfluffs

Alpha Buck
Hi all

I've moved recently, so have a new vet. Found one I liked but had a emergency appointment today for stasis/dental issues, and had to see someone else.

The dosing of Metacam is in a way I'm unfamiliar with- I've got Metacam dog 1.5mg/ml and have been told to give the dose for a 7.5kg dog, once a day. It seems a little imprecise, but works out to approx 0.6ml. Pippin weighs 1.7kg.

Any thoughts? I've previously dosed twice a day. 0.6ml seems in the right sort of ball park, but would like more precise dosing as can't remember exact previous weights/doses.

Also I've been prescribed emprid rather than Zantac and metaclopramide, does anyone have any experience of emprid?!

Tia xx

Yes that right my Dumplin is 3.2 kilo and was on .6 ml twice a day or I can give him 1.2 ml once a day:thumb:

Hope bunny is ok:)

Other meds I don't know I have Loxicom but it's the same as metacam :D

Thank you! In that case I may split her dose as I seem to have more success with the twice a day in the past.

I'm rubbish at remembering previous doses. I remember giving a bunny 0.7 twice a day for a while but can't remember what his weight was!!

Hi all

I've moved recently, so have a new vet. Found one I liked but had a emergency appointment today for stasis/dental issues, and had to see someone else.

The dosing of Metacam is in a way I'm unfamiliar with- I've got Metacam dog 1.5mg/ml and have been told to give the dose for a 7.5kg dog, once a day. It seems a little imprecise, but works out to approx 0.6ml. Pippin weighs 1.7kg.

Any thoughts? I've previously dosed twice a day. 0.6ml seems in the right sort of ball park, but would like more precise dosing as can't remember exact previous weights/doses.

Also I've been prescribed emprid rather than Zantac and metaclopramide, does anyone have any experience of emprid?!

Tia xx

Yeah that seems about right dosage wise :)
I work at the vets and we use Emeprid for stasis! Emeprid is metaclopramide :thumb:

Doughnut has been on 0.5ml three times a day when she was on the maximum. She then went down to twice a day. She is 1.2kg. Splitting it sort of keeps the pain at bay as when they are getting to the 20hr mark the metacam is sort of running out. That's how its been explained to me.

She is now off that but is on long term metaclop. She has 0.5ml twice a day.

My elderly bun, a ND mix, had 0.6ml Metacam every single day for well over a year and a half until his death because he had arthritis. It did him the world of good! :)

Back