• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is your bunny a healthy weight?

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I made a new bunny weight graphic for an article on my site, and thought I'd pop it here too. How does your bunny score:

rabbitweightbodyscore.png

More details here: http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-weight.asp

My stu is perfect at 2.6 regular bunny, so is Dumplin at 2.9 kilo but casserole needs to loose a bit he is 3.4kilo they are mini lop crosses

I'm pretty sure Lilly is ideal :D if anything on the overweight size of ideal, but I wouldn't call her overweight!

She varies between 3.3 and 3.5kg, at 3.5kg one vet said she was a bit over weight and the other said she was ideal weight! So at her current 3.3kg I feel confident that she is an ideal weight :D

The little boy she's going to be bonded with is a bit underweight though, and the little boy that she'll be tried with if the first bond doesn't work is maybe a little over!

bisc is between thin and ideal at the moment. but we're getting there slowly after some weight loss due to grief and illness. the curve from his neck to tail is ok, but the hip to hip isn't. he has those indents either side. his spine and ribs are ok, but his hip bones are quite prominent really. hopefully over the coming weeks/months, i can re-post that he is closer to ideal :thumb:

Rosie is ideal. I am very happy with her condition and weight. She is 2.3 kilos which is standard for a dutch :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Lopsy's put on weight! I blame the other half's autumn influx of leaves... He said he's fattening him up for winter :roll: When there's less decent forage about etc., not for pie! XD I've told him come Spring it'll be less fresh forage for the bunny/ies and more for the airing cupboard!

Things will be better once he gets a new bigger setup and a friend :)

:lol: I'm not sure our pets need fattening up for winter considering how pampered the are :lol:

I've pondered over this for ages. When I took the boys to the vet for their neuter the vet described Finn as a ''big lad'' or something. I took them again for their check up and got them weighed and the vet said they were fine :?

Finn is around 2.1-2.2kg
Milo is just under 2kg

Its very difficult to weigh them as as soon as I get the scales out they know whats happening, I got these approximate weights last time I managed to coax them to stand on the scales with some pellet. I really need to get a more accurate weight so I can look out for any fluctuation in weight...

When I got them they were supposedly mini lops but I doubt that's what they are, rather dwarf lops, is that right? They are a different thing?

If you call your vets they may the weight records in their notes :)

You could try leaving the scales out longer so the excitement wears off then try weighing them... or try at time time when they are hungrier :lol:

:lol: I'm not sure our pets need fattening up for winter considering how pampered the are :lol:
That's what I said! >D

Its very difficult to weigh them as as soon as I get the scales out they know whats happening, I got these approximate weights last time I managed to coax them to stand on the scales with some pellet. I really need to get a more accurate weight so I can look out for any fluctuation in weight...

When I got them they were supposedly mini lops but I doubt that's what they are, rather dwarf lops, is that right? They are a different thing?
Lopsy's an uncooperative so-and-so, so Matt suggested putting him in his carrier, weighing him, then weighing the empty carrier. Just hope he doesn't move about too much!

Mini-lop is a dwarf-rabbit-sized lop, I think, and dwarf lop is a normal-sized lop. So what's a lop then?! A giant? I dunno, I'm wildly speculating!

Mini-lop is a dwarf-rabbit-sized lop, I think, and dwarf lop is a normal-sized lop. So what's a lop then?! A giant? I dunno, I'm wildly speculating!

That sounds like a riddle :lol: You're right, the dwarf lop (2-2.5kg) is a dwarf of the large french lop (4kg +), which are very big, so although they are called dwarfs they are actually medium sized rabbits. The mini lop (1.5-2kg) is smallest. Of course those are breed standards so you get big minis and small dwarfs and crosses. Mini lops have proportionally shorter ears and flatter noses than a dwarf which helps with guessing.

However, watch out if you are talking to people online because in the states they called dwarfs lops mini lops and mini lops holland lops (I think that's the right way around).

That sounds like a riddle :lol: You're right, the dwarf lop (2-2.5kg) is a dwarf of the large french lop (4kg +), which are very big, so although they are called dwarfs they are actually medium sized rabbits. The mini lop (1.5-2kg) is smallest. Of course those are breed standards so you get big minis and small dwarfs and crosses. Mini lops have proportionally shorter ears and flatter noses than a dwarf which helps with guessing.

However, watch out if you are talking to people online because in the states they called dwarfs lops mini lops and mini lops holland lops (I think that's the right way around).

I'm all in a kerfuffle :lol:

May ask vets when the boys go for vaccinations to start recording weights. I do the whole ''feeling the body'' thing but I find it difficult, I'm not concerned about Milo he's fine and his body looks a ''good'' shape. Finn however I can't figure out, he does look bigger but I can feel his ribs, I do have to feel harden than simple lying my hands on him.

Leah is inbetween the thin and ideal side I feel. Trying to fatten her up, but so hard to get the balance as she then does not eat enough fibre. Agh.
Never really checked for ribs or hips, but will definitely have a go now.

I ask my vet to weigh my buns whenever they go to the vet. Faye looks overweight - she is a huge ball of white fluff - but the vet said she is just a big rabbit and her weight is fine. She always grows a really thick winter coat as she spends most of her time in her run - no matter how cold the weather - rather than her nice, warm hutch.

I give very limited pellets to encourage hay eating so my buns don't have the opportunity to get overweight. They are out in their runs most of the day as well so very active.

I had to struggle to keep weight on my Bridge Bun, Apple. She kept becoming underweight no matter how much I fed her.

Weighing your Rabbits at least once a week is a great way of monitoring their overall health. Unexplained weightloss can be an early warning sign of a health problem. Given how well Rabbits can hide illnesses keeping a weekly record of their weight can enable us to pick up on a potential problem before it becomes a big issue :)

I think all my Rabbits are the correct weight, but it's a battle to keep Endeavour in trim as he's like a flippin' hoover when it comes to food :roll:

Rodney is on the thin side now, due to his age and his health problems :cry:

When I look at old photos taken during my first few years of keeping Rabbits it is quite shocking to see how fat they all were. All my fault, the wrong type of diet and not enough exercise.

mine are ideal. charlie was last weighed at 1.8kg which i suppose is on the larger side for a mini lop but he feels fine and the vet said it was a good weight for him :thumb: he is quite a stocky lad lol he bounds about like a little rhino, honking in excitement!!!:lol:

Spenser weighed 3.2kg, I think, last time he was at the vet. He is generally thought to be on the large side, but I think this is partly because he has long fur and tends to fluff himself out. He could easily become fat as he is a very food-orientated rabbit who will circle, honk and nip for pellets and treats if he feels I have not given him enough.

Back