• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny friendly furniture! 24/10 Finally using it!

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
I picked up this low cupboard for free at the weekend, the lady had tried to adapt it so her cats could use it so I thought it'd be perfect for bunny use! I cleaned it all up (it was very very dirty!), sanded it down, painted it, carpeted it and added handles :D the paint job isn't the best :oops: but from far it looks great, up close you can tell it'd benefit from another layer of paint!

It has three sections and the doors slide left/right so I can access all, but for the most part the two side compartments will be enclosed and they can be accessed via the middle compartment :D

It's always been a dream of mine to have furniture that can function as furniture and be useable by house rabbits! So this is one step closer!

Here it is before from the gumtree ad:

And here it is done up in my living room :D the tree on top is the alternative guestbook I had at my wedding, all the heart hanging on it have messages from our friends and family :love:

Here's the living/dining room set up so you can see where Lilly lives, and where my new cupboard is, it was supposed to be replacing the hutch, but as Lilly has started using the hutch I'm just keeping the cupboard where it is now :)

Lilly will not go in it though :roll: I think it's because it smells way too badly of paint! I'll leave it a few days so it smells more like the room then put some very smelly treats of some sort in :lol:

Last edited:
Looks lovely!

Love your Guest book tree too!

Thank you :) I didn't really want a proper guest book as lots of people don't see them at weddings and it ends up a book with loads of pages and not many messages! Plus knowing me it would end up on a book shelf and never looked at :D I love that I can display this one! It'll go into our guest room when the Christmas tree takes its place! (nice and high and out of the way of investigative teeth :p)

It came out really well! Look great :)

Thank you for your advice with the painting! I probably would have just bought normal paint! I went to Homebase for paint and one paint company has brought out a new cupboard paint range in a wide range of colours including glitter and bright red and purple! Only in small pots at the moment though! I can't really imagine a glittery cupboard! Or kitchen for that matter :shock:

It looks brilliant! And goes really nicely in your room

Thank you :D I decided to paint it cream, put it up against the wall and realised it was almost exactly the same colour despite the wall being a very light shade of yellow!

Thank you :) I didn't really want a proper guest book as lots of people don't see them at weddings and it ends up a book with loads of pages and not many messages! Plus knowing me it would end up on a book shelf and never looked at :D I love that I can display this one! It'll go into our guest room when the Christmas tree takes its place! (nice and high and out of the way of investigative teeth :p)

Where did you get the tree from? I showed my daughter and she now wants one for her wedding!

Where did you get the tree from? I showed my daughter and she now wants one for her wedding!

It's from hobby craft :) then we bought the little card hearts, some ribbon and a little diamante to stick on each heart from there too and assembled the little tags. I was considering having luggage tags to write on or something quirky like that, but I thought the hearts were sweet so we went with them :)

That looks really fab. Can't believe you thought you might not pass your homecheck! :lol:

I was just really nervous :oops: I was thinking there might be something glaringly obvious that I couldn't notice as I'm so used to the set up as it is!

I put herbs in the cupboard and put Lilly next to the cupboard and she decided maybe she'd "risk" it :lol:

But no, she didn't want to sit in there and eat so she took the herb out and ran off to eat it!

She did decide to go back and finish the rest of them though, cautiously!

Finally one of Lilly in her preferred sleeping location! :love:

She went in it twice last night of her own accord :love: all the way into both compartments! I can assume because she wanted to double and triple check that there were no more herbs :lol:

Bunny cupboard is a success!!!!

That looks really fab. Can't believe you thought you might not pass your homecheck! :lol:

I know :lol: mind you, I was the same :lol:

The cupboard looks great :thumb: I think I could trust Boots with the guest book tree, (which is fab by the way :love:) but the outdoor lot would most likely jump on top and chew all the hearts off :shock::lol:

I know :lol: mind you, I was the same :lol:

The cupboard looks great :thumb: I think I could trust Boots with the guest book tree, (which is fab by the way :love:) but the outdoor lot would most likely jump on top and chew all the hearts off :shock::lol:

:lol: the top surface is a bit slippy so I'm hoping they'll be put off if they ever try, I know Lilly won't try anyway, if new boy does he's probably only just tall enough to reach the bottom branches :lol: I'm not going to have lights on my christmas tree just in case they decided to hop up there!

So it's a month since I posted this... Lilly has pretty much ignored it :roll: I put herbs and treats in there and she'll sniff them out and go eat them but otherwise hasn't paid any attention to it when I've been in

Today however I arrived home and there she was sat in it :shock: I had put herbs in before I left, but knowing her they would have been gone in minutes after I'd gone so she wasn't there for food... I went over to her, gave her a fuss and a treat then went to curl up ill on the sofa expecting her to run off back to her hutch... but she didn't, she laid out in this cupboard! She's still there, been sleeping in it half an hour, completely chilled! :love:

I took a photo but it's blurry because it's low light because I feel ill :oops:

It's been nearly 3 hours and she's still sleeping there :shock:

I have obviously pleased my master :D maybe today I will be rewarded with teeth and claw free snuggles!

Aww bless, she looks snug too. I suppose new things probably smell weird to bunnies a lot longer than they do us :)

Aww bless, she looks snug too. I suppose new things probably smell weird to bunnies a lot longer than they do us :)

It did smell very strongly of paint :oops: I've made sure I've put herbs in there regularly so that she associates it with food rather than something new and scary and she's just very suddenly decided it's a good spot, maybe because she can keep an eye on me when I'm in my sofa spot, the hutch doesn't have a good view of the sofa :lol:

She's been there over 3 hours now :D purring away, getting up for the odd groom, flopping, loafing and stretching, as well as a hundred yawns :D I wasn't bothered at all that she wasn't interested before, but I'm really happy that she actually wants to use it now!

Back