• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried 😞

Peterbunny

Mama Doe
Worried about my Pete, found a tiny fly on him yesterday, I flicked it off and did the best I could to check him over ( I find him very difficult to handle), he seemed himself, ate fine etc but this morning he's not seeming that interested in his breakfast ( I tried him with some spring green instead and he ate that)

I've got him a vets app in 15 mins, hope I'm just being abit paranoid!!

Some vibes for my Pete would be great, I've never had to take him to the vets before, other than for vaccinations :cry:

Well I feel like one of those paranoid parents who takes their child to the docs when they sneeze :oops:

He's absolutely fine, no eggs, no nothing!!! There's me walking in saying he's subdued and the first thing he does is dart behind the vets computer screen ( think he thinks he's invisible if he does that:roll:). Vet checked him over, gave him a little clipper round his bottom ( for my own peace of mind I think) and gave me some rearguard to apply....

Phew!!

I think you did the right thing, if that makes you feel any better?

Flystrike is SO terrible and hits SO quickly that you can't take a chance.

Norty Peter for trying to hide!

:wave:

I think you did the right thing, if that makes you feel any better?

Flystrike is SO terrible and hits SO quickly that you can't take a chance.

Norty Peter for trying to hide!

:wave:

Thanks dizzyg, I'm glad I went down, I'd been worrying since finding the fly on him yesterday so to then see him turning his nose up at food I really was worried. It doesn't help that I struggle to handle him so found it difficult yesterday to have a check for other flies/ eggs etc.

He's still abit quiet now, but eating etc, just think he's got the hump with me! We just made friends over a piece of banana though so it can't be that bad!

Thanks everyone! That was my first dash to the vets, thankfully it's only a few mins away, don't think I breathed the whole way :lol:

Glad Peter is fine! I think it's greenbottles which will lay their eggs on rabbits but not if they are healthy. Are you going to use the Rearguard? It's a chemical as you probably know.

You did the right thing! Always think better to seem paranoid than risk leaving if at all concerned.
Glad all ok. :wave:

Back