• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gut Stasis after dental

FarplaceRescue

Alpha Buck
Gizmo was a light brown / caramel coloured boy, aged 3yrs. He had been in rescue for 2 years, and was castrated and fully vaccinated. He was bonded to a sweet little girl about his age. He had always had dental problems, and the vets tended to just clip them, but I felt it was better for him to have his front teeth removed, as it would make him (and his wife) more adoptable. Vet agreed, as he was needing his teeth clipped every 2 weeks.
We had his dental done on 19th Sept.... got him home rather sleepy, later that night.
He didn't want to eat. He basically crashed a few hours after getting home, and because I had no transport, I muddled through and got him going. Took me all night - and I had back up from 2 of my vets, via facebook. Not the best, but better than nothing.
Anyway... by next morning he was eating well, moving normally, being great.
He was happy with his partner and acting normally. I kept them indoors for over 2 days, then as they were doing ok, transferred them to the bunny barn, with more room and in their normal housing
Anyway... Gizmo was fine for 2 days in the bunny barn.... he was eating well, playing with his wife, and meeting the other buns. then last night - 5 days after his dental - I found him on his side, unable to stand. Rushed him to emergency vet hospital, but we lost him at 10:30pm to gut stasis.
What did I do wrong? For future reference?
I KNOW he was ok with anaesthetic, because he was ok with his neuter. He has also been sedated for dental examination on 2 occasions.
I am devastated. Would appreciate comments, advice and support please.
Jan

I am very sorry you have lost Gizmo. I have no ideas as to why he died, sometimes these things happen and we always blame ourselves. At least he had known love and care from you and his partner. :(

Gizmo was a light brown / caramel coloured boy, aged 3yrs. He had been in rescue for 2 years, and was castrated and fully vaccinated. He was bonded to a sweet little girl about his age. He had always had dental problems, and the vets tended to just clip them, but I felt it was better for him to have his front teeth removed, as it would make him (and his wife) more adoptable. Vet agreed, as he was needing his teeth clipped every 2 weeks.
We had his dental done on 19th Sept.... got him home rather sleepy, later that night.
He didn't want to eat. He basically crashed a few hours after getting home, and because I had no transport, I muddled through and got him going. Took me all night - and I had back up from 2 of my vets, via facebook. Not the best, but better than nothing.
He was happy with his partner and acting normally. I kept them indoors for over 2 days, then as they were doing ok, transferred them to the bunny barn, with more room and in their normal housing
Anyway... Gizmo was fine for 2 days in the bunny barn.... he was eating well, playing with his wife, and meeting the other buns. then last night - 5 days after his dental - I found him on his side, unable to stand. Rushed him to emergency vet hospital, but we lost him at 10:30pm to gut stasis.
I KNOW he was ok with anaesthetic, because he was ok with his neuter. He has also been sedated for dental examination on 2 occasions.
Jan

I am genuinely sorry when I read any of these threads. I lost my 8yr old baby 4 weeks ago today and just writing that has set me off crying again. He was my 2nd bun. My first bun lived for 3 years and I think that is where I made most of my mistakes. Note to self: don't give them bread no matter how much they beg for it!

Both my babies died of stasis or bloat.. one of those.. did my massages make things worse? What about the water I forgot to change for 7 days (there was still plenty in there and usually I filled it every day or two)? Did I make it worse blending water/grass/hay and syringe feeding? Why did I not know that you could phone a vet at midnight? Would the vet have come if I had phoned him then?

It's part of grief to play the blame game in your mind. The poor lady who kicked her bun accidentally will be crucifying herself.. but hey bunnies get under the feet.. I accidentally stepped on my buns foot once and it bled years ago...

This is becoming about me.

I am so sorry. And to any other deaths I have missed. I am so sorry. It hurts so bad.

I wish more was known about stasis.. it seems there are many questions as to why it occurs.

Last edited:
Jan

I am very sorry to hear of Gizmo's passing :cry: You dont mention what his fecal output was like in the days prior to his death and also whether he had an increased water intake. The gut stasis may have been secondary to another underlying problem and I am wondering if this could be related to renal failure, especially given his poor recovery from the GA.

I dont think you did anything wrong, it sounds as though he had a serious underlying condition and it was this which caused his passing.

RIP Gizmo :cry:

It is hard to say just what his poo was like, as he shared the litter tray with Tuffty, but when I picked him up to take him to vets, he had very small hard poos on his tail, which I presume were his. They also shared a water bottle, and did drink a lot between them usually, but that day, hardly any was touched, and Gizmo was showing signs of dehydration. In hindsight, perhaps you are right Jacks Jane, and it was something like renal failure :(

So very sorry to heart about Gizmo, poor rabbit. It sounds like he was doing well after the procedure and you watched him well enough.

Sometimes bunnies just die without a visible reason. My rabbit Mira died like that in March - there was nothing wrong the evening before. She was was eating, she was happy. Next day I found her in the toilet extremely lethargic, cold and bloated. I rushed her to the vet, we made x-rays. Her stomach was stretched to the max and full of food. She was so bad she died minutes later. But I wanted to know why so we opened her up. Nothing was in her intestines but her stomach was the size of tennis ball and stuffed with food so much it tore as soon as vet touched it. Vet decided it was a minor obstruction at the exit of the stomach. But she and her colleagues were shocked and said they never saw rabbit like that and that it could not happen overnight. And I am a vet nurse, if anyone has to recognise a sick animal its me >_< But she seemed absolutely healthy, the only indication would be droppings but I have two more rabbits contributing to that.

This was said in no way to hijack your thread, I just thought that maybe something similar happened to Gizmo that was really out of your control. Do not feel guilty about it.

Last edited:
It's an inevitable part of grief though isn't it?

Definitely. I admit I also feel guilty for Mira every time I think about her but at the same time I am trying not to, because I know there was really nothing I could do at that point. Or even before, considering there were no indications of sickness. Instead thinking of what we could do but didn't, we should remember the things we did do for them.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your losses :cry: I lost my Ginger yesterday, I found her yesterday morning, she had died during the night :cry: she had no signs of any illness so there was nothing I could have done anyway. Sometimes it happens that way, I'm trying very hard to focus on the great life she had.

Jan

I'm so sorry you lost Gizmo.

I have had lots of bunnies have their front teeth out, and it sounds like he recovered well from the anaesthetic.

Without a PM it's impossible to say what was going on with him. It seems very likely some underlying issue that you and the vet knew nothing about. In which case, he went quickly and with little (hopefully) suffering.

You did everything you could for him. I would have done exactly the same.

I hope you get to feeling a bit better about this soon. It's obvious how much you loved him :love:

I'm so sorry for your losses :cry: I lost my Ginger yesterday, I found her yesterday morning, she had died during the night :cry: she had no signs of any illness so there was nothing I could have done anyway. Sometimes it happens that way, I'm trying very hard to focus on the great life she had.

Oh so sad :cry: Bless you, and run free Ginger xx

Back