• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blindness in NZ White

killabuni

Young Bun
Due to their albinism, I'm guessing it's common for NZ Whites to be blind, if just partially? And if so, although I've kept albino rats with blindness before although totally different animal, is it something that could deteriorate as they age?

I adopted a young buck earlier in the year and there are signs he may be partially blind so wanted to ask as I couldn't find any info online. Not an issue as such, just curious to learn. He's my first of his breed and one of the sweetest bucks I've met and kept. I may make a post about his story as I think it's a lesson for a lot of rabbit owners, especially new ones.

Thanks in advance. :)

Hello

Yes, REW Rabbits often have poor eyesight. They may 'scan' their head from side-to-side which can be alarming for a person who has never seen it before. Scanning can also be caused by neurological problems, so if a Rabbit suddenly starts to scan it cant automatically be attributed to poor eyesight and a Vet should always be consulted

REWs with poor eyesight usually cope extremely well and their eyesight does not necessarily deteriorate with age. But like any Rabbit, it could happen for other reasons. So again it is always important not to attribute everything to the known poor eyesight of REWs. In my experience REWs are not unduly nervous as a result of their poor eyesight. Infact the ones I have cared for have all been remarkably laid back. As with many Rabbits not all of them were/are keen on being picked up, but apart from that they were/are all very people orientated friendly Rabbits. I think REWs make perfect Pets and I am sure you will have a lot of enjoyment caring for your REW Buck :love:

My REW Boots scans sometimes, he does it when he is in new situations or rooms. When I first got him he did it a lot, now he hardly ever does. He is the most laid back bunny I have ever met :love: he loves snuggles and falls asleep for ages on your knee :love: his sense of smell is absolutely incredible, he can smell a banana 2 rooms away and goes frantic trying to sniff it out :lol: he doesn't seem at all inconvenienced by any possible problems with his sight.

My REW Boots scans sometimes, he does it when he is in new situations or rooms. When I first got him he did it a lot, now he hardly ever does. He is the most laid back bunny I have ever met :love: he loves snuggles and falls asleep for ages on your knee :love: his sense of smell is absolutely incredible, he can smell a banana 2 rooms away and goes frantic trying to sniff it out :lol: he doesn't seem at all inconvenienced by any possible problems with his sight.

Oh no !! A nana addict !! :lol:

Hello

Yes, REW Rabbits often have poor eyesight. They may 'scan' their head from side-to-side which can be alarming for a person who has never seen it before. Scanning can also be caused by neurological problems, so if a Rabbit suddenly starts to scan it cant automatically be attributed to poor eyesight and a Vet should always be consulted

REWs with poor eyesight usually cope extremely well and their eyesight does not necessarily deteriorate with age. But like any Rabbit, it could happen for other reasons. So again it is always important not to attribute everything to the known poor eyesight of REWs. In my experience REWs are not unduly nervous as a result of their poor eyesight. Infact the ones I have cared for have all been remarkably laid back. As with many Rabbits not all of them were/are keen on being picked up, but apart from that they were/are all very people orientated friendly Rabbits. I think REWs make perfect Pets and I am sure you will have a lot of enjoyment caring for your REW Buck :love:

Hi, thanks for the reply and info. I know all about head swaying due to having albino rats with blindness years ago (in general, rats actually do it to get their bearings and judge perception, but albinos do more) so it's nothing new to me, but since never having an albino rabbit before and not knowing much about the breed, I wasn't sure if it'd be the same and whether it gets worse. With rats, they can cope with blindness since they don't rely a lot on their sight, but given rabbits are prey animals and have decent sight, I didn't know if that could be why he was petrified of people when I first got him, because he wasn't able to see them from afar and then suddenly they're there.

Long story short, he came from an awfully disgusting home, living on soil and droppings in a tiny aviary at the bottom of this girl's garden, covered in his own urine and mess so his fur was badly stained, absolutely petrified of people being near him and he shuddered violently when I first met him and picked him up (after a while of trying to calmly corner him). The previous owner was baffled how I'd been able to pick him up comfortably as she was scared of him and every time she tried to handle him, he'd become 'aggressive' she said. He isn't in the slightest! It's about 3 months later now and he's transformed beautifully from what he was; she'd never recognise him, specifically in his personality. He lets me stroke him on his head when he's eating now and always sits still when I need to handle him, no more shudders.

Now he's come out of his shell and he's not feeling frustrated and scared, I'm noticing his quirks and behaviour, and possibly symptoms of eye troubles. He's got the typical head sway going on but if I notice anything strange in his behaviour that it's something more than eyesight, what might I look for?

By the way, this is him! Henry:
5e6d0179-dca1-47fb-b4c2-5559657d1222_zps7438afed.jpg

My REW scans, more in bright sunlight or if she comes out of dull corner into brighter light. Its never affected her, its quite endearing watching her sway her head or maybe im just a soppy begger:lol:

Henry is wonderful !! :love:

I hope we get to hear a lot more about what he gets up to and I know we'd love to see more photos of him

I love REWs :love:

Thanks for this thread. It took me some time to figure that my rabbit was blind, now I see it is common with nz whites & it explains why I thought he had CE or something when we first got him.

Back