• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Apple has gone to the Bridge

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
My gorgeous little Apple went to the Bridge on 5 September:(:( I don't come on RU as much as I used to. Since I changed jobs it is much more difficult to access the site at work:(

Apple didn't seem herself on the Thursday and I should probably have taken her to the vet then but she came out of the hutch - she usually stayed in her hutch when she was poorly. I syringe fed her in the evening and gave her metacam in case she was in pain as she did not seem as enthusiastic about her supper as usual.

I got up early on Friday as I was meant to be at work for 0800 and Apple looked very sad. I picked her up and she was quite floppy and was breathing fast. I called the out of hours vet number, wrapped her in a towel (she hated the carrier) and took her up there. The vet and the nurse had their toddler with them which I found very distracting as she wanted their attention.

The vet said he didn't think Apple would get any better but I didn't want to just give up on her. Her temperature was sub-clinical and she had got dehydrated. He gave her sub-cut fluids while I stroked her, then metaclop, baytril and metacam. He said her jaw was misaligned and he thought she may have an infection in it. Her teeth have always been awful. When she was on her side she couldn't get up easily:( I was given meds to take away and advised to keep her indoors to keep her warm. I tried to syringe feed her but she wouldn't take it and I felt like I was abusing her.

I brought her home and put her on my bed wrapped in a towel. She was barely conscious but seemed peaceful. I had to go to work then. The vet had cost £220 but they let me pay just half as I didn't have enough left on my overdraft to pay it all.

When I got home Apple had died. I wasn't surprised. She had moved the towel off her a bit but she looked very peaceful.

I then had to rush her straight to the undertakers as they were closing in 30 mins. I took her in and placed her in their Chapel of Rest where she would stay until the next day when she would be cremated. I came out of the Undertakers, sat in my car and sobbed. All the children were coming out of school and I was sat there crying, unable to drive.

I wish I had had her PTS at the vet and not put her through the sub-cut fluids as she struggled. I hate that she died alone but my finances are so dire and I still have a hole in my roof so I had to go to work.

Apple has always been much smaller than her Mum and sister. She has had dental problems, problems with her back legs and skin problems. I think there was probably something neurological wrong with her when she died and so hope she was not in any pain. She was asleep when I left her to go to work.

I have her ashes back and some of her fur. Her Mum and sister didn't seem to miss her at all but Hovis stopped eating much for a while.

Binky free gorgeous Apple. I love you very, very much xxxxxxx

I'm so, so sorry. Poor little Apple. It sounds like you were in an impossible situation, so please don't blame yourself for anything. It was just one of those things.

Back