• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Rescue Experiences

TD86

Alpha Buck
I'd like to know all about them please :wave:

How you found out about them, How you applied, what happened next etc.

I need some hope! :)

The Rescues I have previously rehomed from either 'knew me' from here or they are very local to where I live. So contact with/from them was never a problem. One Rescue who is local but not on here could be a bit slower to answer enquiries, but I know the person running the Rescue worked full time on permanent night shifts. So I think it only right to be understanding of the fact that she was not always able to return a call/email quickly on every occasion.

Home checks were either done by a Rescue volunteer or an RU member known to the Rescue. But with two Rescues from whom I adopted several Rabbits over the years I was eventually trusted and not home-checked every time.

I have only had one 'difficult' dealing with a Rescue and that was more to do with a personality clash than anything else !! I am not everyone's cup of tea !!

I adopted a Dandy and Beano from Macclesfield RSPCA. They are 2 hrs away from me so this involved a trip to go and see them and reserve them, then waiting for a home check with the local branch, and then another trip to collect them. I'm so glad I got them, I love my boys and they are such amazing characters. The lady who runs it works full time, and then does the RSPCA around that as a volunteer :shock: she really does so much work I don't know how she fits everything in. Some of the animals are in foster, but they were in a private boarding place as they don't have a branch rehoming centre. The lady who ran the boarding was very good. They both knew the personalities of the rabbits very well. They really care about the rabbits in their care and I still send updates. Even though they were very busy I mostly recieved replies from my emails the same day or the next day. I had to wait about a week for a home check from the local rspca, the lady who did it also worked full time and was a volunteer for the rspca.

I adopted Boots from my local animal rescue BARC, after falling in love with him at the open day. My other 4 are bunnies who don't appreciate human contact much, and after I looked after my friends cuddle bunny for a week I decided I wanted a cuddly bunny in my life. So I asked if there were any cuddle bunnies who weren't reserved, and lifted him out and had a snuggle, and fell in love with him. That was a quicker process as they are very local (3 miles up the road) so things could be arranged around work. It was mostly done by email/PM as this was easier to respond to, as the lady who runs BARC also works too. She knows the personalities of the bunnies very well, and really cares about all the rabbits there, and I keep updating her when I think about it.

If I ever wanted/needed any more bunnies I would not hesitate to adopt from them or any other rescue :thumb:

I adopted Jessica from my local rescue, Animal Krackers. I emailed explaining that I was looking for a doe to bond with my neutered buck and got a reply that evening. We went to the rescue the following weekend and reserved Jessica, a 3 month old bun. She was being spayed the following week and a week after she would be available we were on holiday, so the rescue said they would keep her until we returned. They also aclimatised her to being indoors as she had been an outdoor bun. We brought her home at the end of August. The rescue have a bonding adviser but bonding went fairly smoothly. There was no home check. My buck Hopscotch was so happy to finally have a friend!

34be6590ded216122b6fbff8742dad50.jpg

I adopted from a local rescue (two guinea pigs) and the lady who runs the rescue also home checked me for two BARC rabbits that I saw on here (Tessie and Daisy).

I adopted Autumn and Sunshine (belgian hares not on my sig) from Cottontails rescue but didnt have a home check as I had already had rescue rabbits and described my set up to the lady who runs the rescue.

Mottle and Peaches were from a mini lop breeder who rescues a few rabbits as well (saw her advert on preloved).

Harvest hamster came from Furry Animal Friends in surrey (saw her on rabbits in need on here).

All contact with rescues was initially by email or phone and they all got back to me quickly.

The home check (from the local rescue) went really well and we chatted about animals for ages.

Best of luck with going to a rescue.

I got Bob & Pat from Rabbit Residence. Moved to a house with a garden, wanted bunnies, much emailing with Caroline commenced, visited the rescue a couple of times and a few months later, after I'd got all the housing up to scratch, they came to stay. That was 4 years ago and now I'm a very regular volunteer for RR :)

Eric and Ernie came from RSPCA Block Fen. We'd seen them there during a visit and had a look at the website when we got home, to find out a bit more about their background etc. Rang up a few days later to reserve them. It was fairly simple really. They asked us a few basic questions and we had to show them photos of our hutch/run setup and then we could take them home.

This was the picture on the website, they looked so sad and sorry for themselves that we just couldn't resist them:

EricampErnie.jpeg

Back