• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those who nebulise their bunnies

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
How do you do it and what do you use ie. a portable nebuliser? One of my piggies suffers with breathing issues which, I've a hunch, may be linked to humidity or allergies. Been to the vet numerous times but despite various treatments, can't get to the bottom of it. I would like to try nebulising him when he's going through a rough patch, just to see if it helps, but I have no idea where to start.

We have a portable nebuliser, I don't nebulise any of my current bunnies, but Lola was nebulised every day.

We used her carry box and attached the tubing through the mesh at the front, we then covered the carry box with a towel.

We used saline solution and Pavoulex.

we made the chamber from an 80ltr plastic box from wilkos and put a hole in the side for the nozzle.

we have this nebuliser http://evergreen-nebulizers.co.uk/omron/compairc28p.html

if it's just mild, you could sit piggy on your knee and just direct the steam towards them. we do this with bisc (on the floor, not my knee!) as he doesn't need as intense nebulising as matt did. it still works well :wave:

we made the chamber from an 80ltr plastic box from wilkos and put a hole in the side for the nozzle.

if it's just mild, you could sit piggy on your knee and just direct the steam towards them. we do this with bisc (on the floor, not my knee!) as he doesn't need as intense nebulising as matt did. it still works well :wave:

When I have nebuliser my buns, I have done this also - used a plastic box with a hole for the nozzle. Good luck x

Thank you guys. I did think about using one of the handheld ones with the face mask on it and holding Jaffa infront of it - it's quite easy to restrain a piggy! He's good today because he started a course of Zithromax yesterday but I'm willing to try anything to help him when he's poorly.

Can I just ask - how long do you nebulise for? 10 mins, 20 mins etc? And can you just use steam or is it better to add something to it?

Last edited:
I'm nebulising Honey just now. She is in the box for 30 minutes. I use water and F10 antiseptic, 250ml water to 1ml F10.

we have this nebuliser http://evergreen-nebulizers.co.uk/om...mpairc28p.html

This.

We started of doing ten mins at first until Bluebell was comfortable with it then built it up to about about 20/25 mins twice a day.

Saline on its own can be affective as it helps relieve congestion and open the airways, but we also nebulised Baytril for a while. (If you do this get injectable baytril - the oral stuff foams everywhere!)

This.

We started of doing ten mins at first until Bluebell was comfortable with it then built it up to about about 20/25 mins twice a day.

Saline on its own can be affective as it helps relieve congestion and open the airways, but we also nebulised Baytril for a while. (If you do this get injectable baytril - the oral stuff foams everywhere!)

God, I'm going to sound so dim but if you nebulise with saline, do you make up your own solution of salt water or do you buy it ready-made?

Just ordered one of those :thumb:

I wish I'd known about it with my first piggy - he had allergies and having seen the benefits to bunnies I really think it may of benefited him.

I get a bag of saline (either 500ml or 1L) from the vets, it's not too expensive and lasts quite a while cos I use about 4-5 ml each time.

I haven't actually been nebulising Nutmeg for the last 3-4 weeks, as it was stressing her out and putting strain on her heart. She seems to be coping quite well without it at the moment.

We're still baffled as to what's causing Jaffa's breathing issues but I noticed he was worse this evening for a few hours after I'd brought him in from the garden. I've noticed that a bit actually - that the change in either temperature or humidity or even 'dampness' underfoot seems to make him worse :?.

you can buy drip bags of saline from the vets. that's what we did anyway. matt had parvolex added to the saline, then when extra was needed, he had parvolex, genticin and saline.

start off with just the saline and see if that helps. then talk to the vets if you feel adding meds to it would be a good thing to try :wave:

you can buy drip bags of saline from the vets. that's what we did anyway. matt had parvolex added to the saline, then when extra was needed, he had parvolex, genticin and saline.

start off with just the saline and see if that helps. then talk to the vets if you feel adding meds to it would be a good thing to try :wave:

Sounds like a plan. Nebuliser should be arriving today :D.

Back