• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet insurance?

Pet plan for me :thumb:

A lot of vets work with pet plan so that they claim the money straight from the insurance and you don't have to pay the vet yourself and then claim the money back, which is lovely.

Plus they now cover dentals as long as the bun has had a dental check up (which is a part of a normal check up) within the last year.

They are not the cheapest, I think I pay roughly £10 a month per bun with multipet discounts ect. But so worth it when my Farore got ill, she racked up over £700 worth of bills in 3 days :shock: we lost her in the end :cry: but it was lovely to just be able to tell the vets to do whatever tests they felt she needed and that money wasn't an object.

My dog then needed some diagnostic treatment a couple of weeks later, my 'amount owing' at the vet was about £1300 from the pair of them and it was a relief to know I didn't need to pay it and that pet plan would!

They don't cover stuff like check ups or vaccinations or anything that you choose to do as a preventative measure. They also don't cover the cost of putting an animal to sleep or any cremation costs.

Agree, Petplan. Luckily I've never had to claim for my buns, but it's peace of mind. My cat on the other hand, would have cost me £3,000 + for all the ongoing tests he's had done. My vet just dealt with them direct, one less thing to worry about in my opinion.

Helpucover :thumb:

£7something a month (£7.90 maybe?)

They're funny about dentals. It sounds like they may cover some dental stuff but not the routine burring/clipping. Having said that, it changes after your pet's been insured for over two years so I don't know really. I've had bills of £1300+ (for six weeks of treatment :shock:) settled in one claim, £700 settled in one claim, £500 settled in one claim (all large amounts basically) as well as smaller amounts of between £40 and £60 claimed on a regular basis. Have claimed for all sorts of things - stasis, bladder stones, ear infection, eyes etc. They don't have that many exclusions, here are theirs: http://www.helpucover.co.uk/product/pets/page/policy-cover-rabbits/#

Excess is £45/condition/policy year. Limit is £2000/policy year.

Would recommend them :)

Last edited:
bisc isn't insured (big mistake on my part!) but the piggies are both with exotic direct. it's £13.52 each over ten months. :wave:

I have six bunnies & three with Petplan & three with helpucover. Long story short I went with Petplan for my first two then my third I went with helpucover because the policies seemed identical & they were £3 a month cheaper. Then my next two also went to helpucover with the intention of moving completely to helpucover when Petplan was up for renewal. Then Blackavar became a dental bunny & since July has cost me approx £700 in vet bills as helpucover don't cover dental - ouch!!!!!! But Petplan do so my sixth bunny has been insured with them, I renewed my policy with them for my first two & all except Blackavar will be going to Petplan when their policies are up for renewal as I can't afford 2+ dental buns!! :shock: Blackavar is staying with helpucover purely because I think it would be a nightmare trying to get him covered anywhere else now after all his illnesses this past year! Petplan cost me £11 per month per bunny and helpucover is £7 per month per bunny but that extra £4 a month could save you a huge fortune in future as I've found out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 of mine are with help u cover. I'd move them all over but the others are over 5 so won't get insured anymore. I think they're great, settled Skye's bill straightaway with no quibbles (unlike pets at home which question everything and takes ages to pay)

I did look at pet plan but HuC were literally half the price for about the same cover

That's very odd, was looking into insurance just before computer died a few weeks back and Helpucover came out a lot more expensive than Petplan by £4-5, and PetPlan was about £15 for single bun already here! How recently did PP add on dental? I thought they didn't cover that from all the T&Cs about burring, rasping etc.... The only one I found who did are Pets@Home which has £350 cover included. Now I'm totally confused and undecided which would be better.

I've just insured my six with Pets at Home. Their cover per year is slightly less than Petplan, but they cover dental right away. It was also about £2-3 per month per bunny less than Petplan, which adds up when you have a few. They also gave me a voucher for £15 per bunny to spend in store, which came to £90 for all six bunnies. I did ask my vet and they said they would accept direct payment from either Petplan or PAH.

All of my bunnies were £7.04 per month, except the older girl and she was £7.80 per month.

That's very odd, was looking into insurance just before computer died a few weeks back and Helpucover came out a lot more expensive than Petplan by £4-5, and PetPlan was about £15 for single bun already here! How recently did PP add on dental? I thought they didn't cover that from all the T&Cs about burring, rasping etc.... The only one I found who did are Pets@Home which has £350 cover included. Now I'm totally confused and undecided which would be better.

I have literally just insured Kiki with Petplan (the other 3 are with Exotics Direct), because they have given me 2 months free cover and a multi pet discount (Milo, dogis with them). There are pros and cons with both, Petplan excess is £65 excess per condition, £2,000 limit but they do cover all dental, as I think someone explained as long as they have had a check up, I quized the guy extensively and he just kept saying covered. It is costing me £15.20/month which feels expensive but as I said pros and cons to both, I do feel like no decision is the right one!!!!!? :oops:

Back