• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit with a Woolly Coat - How to care for Her?

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
One of the 3 babies I took on a while ago has a thick woolly type coat. This is the first rabbit with this type of coat I have had. What is the best way of coping with it?

Some one posted a good before/after photos of a haircut a few days ago. Keeping any longer parts trimmed will help a lot.

Some one posted a good before/after photos of a haircut a few days ago. Keeping any longer parts trimmed will help a lot.

Could that have been me ? Freddie got a hair cut recently and I posted pics :)

I read that the kindest thing you can do for a long haired bun is keep their hair short (as nature intended). It makes it easier for them to groom and prevents overheating and matting etc xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

I had a pet rabbit before with really furry and thick coat. After leaving her on the lawn on play, I pity her sometimes with the amount of small things that get in her coat. What I did was trim her coat every now and then. I also had to brush her coat a few more times to untangle any knotted hair.

Fluffy and ginger, I think?

This guy ?

Before

ruva4a6u.jpg

After

te8yqeja.jpg

A few days post hair cut

3amegynu.jpg

:lol: Yep, that's the fluffy butt I remember, I'm terrible with names.

Good example of trimming the bits that tend to get most matted, and I don't think it has a significant impact on cuteness levels either :lol:

:lol: Yep, that's the fluffy butt I remember, I'm terrible with names.

Good example of trimming the bits that tend to get most matted, and I don't think it has a significant impact on cuteness levels either :lol:

Definitely not ...To me, he was even cuter even if he did look a bit odd in the second pic. Lol :)

He was sooo soft !!!

Did you use scissors Luna and should I do it now with winter coming on. She's outside.

Yep we used a normal scissors and sharpened it before hand so there was no unnecessary pulling on his fur/skin.

I held him and husband cut. He kept as close to the skin as possible. We used food as a distraction but he was pretty good about it anyway.

I couldn't say for sure about how a bunny would cope in the winter time with getting it done. I'd imagine you could leave a tiny bit more length than we did with freddie and it should be fine. It's not like it's being shaved I guess.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea ?:)

Yep we used a normal scissors and sharpened it before hand so there was no unnecessary pulling on his fur/skin.

I held him and husband cut. He kept as close to the skin as possible. We used food as a distraction but he was pretty good about it anyway.

I couldn't say for sure about how a bunny would cope in the winter time with getting it done. I'd imagine you could leave a tiny bit more length than we did with freddie and it should be fine. It's not like it's being shaved I guess.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea ?:)

Thanks Luna! xx

The only down side would be you might end up removing the guard hairs/waterproof layer, but I don't think those are quite as well organised on a long haired bunny as a normal coat anyway. I'd try and lift/brush back the top and cut the fluff underneath as much as possible around the bum area. If you leave it about 1/2" like a normal bun coat then it should have plenty of insulation left still.

Back