• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which breed is considered to be the most intelligent?

I read once that the rex is one of the more intelligent breeds , I think I may have read similar about the dutch too.

I'm interested to see what other people come back with :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

I'll be honest.... I don't think dwarf lop is in the running! Harvey was the most loveable boy ever, but he was rather dippy :lol: maybe he was the only dumb dwarf lop though and the rest are all very intelligent!

Lilly is intelligent, she's a mix of lots of breeds though I reckon!

I'll be honest.... I don't think dwarf lop is in the running! Harvey was the most loveable boy ever, but he was rather dippy :lol: maybe he was the only dumb dwarf lop though and the rest are all very intelligent!

Lilly is intelligent, she's a mix of lots of breeds though I reckon!

Mini lops aren't either, judging by how much of a doofus Alfie is :lol: Bless him :love:

Bella is a dwarf lop and she's very clever. Her new owners keep finding her in the neighbour's garden and they have no idea how she manages to escape :lol:

I agree about lops perhaps being at the other end of the spectrum with regards to IQ. The two lops I have had have been pretty daft. And both were known to run into walls !!!

Bobby was very sweet though. I wouldn't have changed him for the world.

Rosie is very smart, she doesnt miss a trick .. that girl. She is a dutch xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

I have no idea, though Amy, my (rather large...) dwarf lop seems to be half daft, half smart. She has her ditzy moments where I don't even know which planet she's on, then she turns around and outwits me or does something I have no idea how. She often combines these attitudes, doing something clever that seems really stupid. Pipkin, my hand reared wildly, was quite smart with judging distances and angles and climbing up on things, and Baby, my very first rabbit and another dwarf lop, actually trained herself to go from my room, across the hall and through the kitchen to her hutch at the back of the house around bedtime.

i'd say it depends what you define as intelligent, as I would say like with humans some bunnies no matter what their breed will learn more etc, or have their own little tricks, some are more curious and so some would say this is inteliigence as they learn through exploring etc

I have a thrianta and she is very intelligent and way too naughty for her own good! She reminds me very much of my mums terrier, naughty, inquisitive and most of the time up to no good!

i'd say the ones known as bisc ;) bisc is very intelligent. matt was dopey but strong. so between them they had brains and brawn :lol:

i've always had lops so can't say what other breeds are like. :wave:

My dwarf lop Harry had fluff between the ears, he forgot to get in the brains queue because he was too busy getting extra in the gentleness queue.

Ludo is a lot more intelligent and he's also a dwarf lop, so it does vary a lot, but yes I must agree dwarf lops aren't really the brightest.

I think Doughnut seems quite intelligent. I draw the curtains back in the lounge when I go to work and at weekends I used to go down and feed her but keep them drawn and go back to bed. She used to make a lot of noise after she had eaten, wanting more food. I now draw the curtains and it's all quiet, she thinks I won't be returning for a while!

She also jumped up the stairs and got stuck and I had to get a carrier to get her back down, as she's scared of jumping down. She now waits for me at the bottom of the stairs and has never gone up again. She also knows if I get a teatowel it means I want to pick her up for a bum check as I cover her eyes with it, so she's off and running. I think she is too intelligent for my liking as picking her up is a complete nightmare! She also knows quite a few words.

I haven't had experience of other breeds so people with different breeds are better placed to comment.

My boy (rip) who I have just blubbed about whilst on the phone....

He would jump on the arm of the sofa... pull back the curtain and make his way on to the windowsill...

Fiver is a dutch x and is VERY intelligent. If he wants something he WILL get it no matter what. He constantly amazes me with how intelligent he is.

I've never had a rex so I can't comment about their intelligence but I know that dutchies have a reputation for being intelligent.

Shadowfax is a lop and she is quite smart but has no common sense and is still quite a baby so she acts a bit dumb sometimes. Xena..she certainly doesn't have many braincells bless her. She is too lazy to be intelligent. :lol:

I have a pair of rexes - Dany is very clever, she will investigate and play with any new toy straight away and have it all worked out really quick. She likes to play football with her little plastic ball, rolls it around then picks it up and carries it inside so she can keep it with her. None of my others will do this, she's definitely the most intelligent of all four.

Peach Pie is really dopey though :oops: Sometimes you can pick him up and he won't notice he's being held for a while :lol: He's like a dumb jock, big and muscly but there's just no brain activity!

So I think it can vary massively between individuals, even if they're the same breed.

Back