• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting the girls spayed

Hi everyone!
I've booked to have my sisters spayed, I have never had my rabbits done before simply because if anything happened to them I would never be able to forgive myself. Though the sisters are together and they're my first females so I dont want them to start fighting or develop cancer :(
Ive been told to bring their food and water and treats (will bring some strawberries or blackberries for them) and keep them warm after and try to get them to eat.

Is there anything else I need to know?? I'm going to hate leaving them at the vets and not being with them. I want to prepare things to make them comfy as possible when they return!
Thank you!

If they are usually housed outdoors they will need to be kept inside in a not centrally heated room for 24-48 hours after surgery

They should have a clean dry base to rest on, towels or Vetbed for example

When you collect them they should be showing some interest in food and they should have passed urine and faeces. Their appetites may be reduced for the first 24-36 hours, but they should eat something and they should continue to poo/wee. They may drink a little more than normal initially. Or if they had IV fluids during/after surgery they may not drink as much as normal.

They should both be prescribed analgesia for a few days after surgery. I would absolutely insist on this.

They will need to be kept relatively confined for 7-10 days, so no jumping up onto things or charging about

Hope all goes well for them xx

You are doing the right thing, buddy! it took me three years to spay Minnie. Her sister was spayed much earlier but the recovery was very stressful for me (and for her) so it took me the long while to decide to spay Minnie, even knowing the risks.

I am a veterinary nurse by trade, so I will base my info on the way my clinic used to work with bunnies for spaying. I spayed Minnie there as well. Mira was spayed somewhere else and I really wish I didn't do it back then - the vet had no rabbit knowledge. :evil: What you should be prepared for is that if vet thinks they should stay for the night, the vet has good reasons for it and you should not object, as stressful as it feels. but most often bunnies are sent home when they are fully awake and eaten. If the rabbit did not eat the vettech will make sure it was force-fed, to get its digestion going. Bunnies get painkiller treatment prior to operation and that lasts 24 hours. the good vet will give you painkillers to go as well and a syringe to administer it orally. If the rabbit is not all that enthousiastic about eating, you might get a intestinal stimulant called Cisaral, it makes bunny intestines move and thus produce droppings. I would ask if they have any Critical Care you can have - handy to have around and you will need it dearly if bunny does not want to eat.

At first you can layer the bottom of the cage with a towel, just to be sure that no hay will poke in the wound (tho usually it is no trouble), first three days are the days where the pain is the worst. Usually it takes 3-5 days for animals to recover enough to go back to their usual tasks. A week or week and a half of relative cage-rest is needed. You might see lessened mobility, hear loud tooth-grinding and the rabbit will look a bit miserable overall. I made sure the hay, the water and the food all all within head stretch so that Minnie did not have to move too much. If you stroke them and they feel cold - fill the water bottles with hot water, roll them in a towel and place it near (or between) the buns. Never place warm source without a towel, it might cause burns! They have to start pooping within 24 hours. if you did not get Cisaral - contact the vet. if you did - it will come. It was somewherre in the evening the next day when Minnie made a ginormous smell pile and I was extrememly happy. Give them all the food they eat. Especially their favourite things, they need to eat something. Minnie, for example, really likes parsley. So I kept giving her some parsley twigs at first and then she passed onto her pellets and hay.

I think I, sort of, covered all bases. The most important is to call your vet the second you think something is not quite adding up. if it is a bunny-savvy vet, he or she will understand the nessesity of this. I had multiple clients calling repeatedly with questions about 'why she does this? And that?' Better ask then not.

Good luck! ^^

Last edited:
Lots of vibes for a trouble free spay/recovery. Looks like you have everything covered by the excellent advice already given.

When I had my girls done earlier this year, they were sent home with Recovery food to syringe (no needle) feed them. Luckily I only needed to give them one feed before they started eating for themselves. I did however continue to offer water in the syringe for them to gently sip at which I must admit they both quite readily took, despite there being water available already. I think it was more because they didn't want to move but still wanted a drink. I also kept the girls indoors for 7 days as was advised by my vets, though this amount of time varies from vets to vets so I think go with your gut feeling on how they are doing. I just found that I could keep a closer eye on the wound and the area they were housed in was more sterile than outside. I kept them on towels and changed them as they got wet and kept changing the hay for fresh, as they always prefer it when its just put in :)

As others have said their output is most important & if at any time you are concerned go straight back to the vets.

Thanks, everyone! Sorry for late reply, I havent been on the forum for a few days!
I'll definitely take into account all your fantastic advise, and will let the vets know if I feel something's wrong when I get them home. The spaying is tomorrow, so worried for them but will feel much better once they're done :(

Thanks, everyone! Sorry for late reply, I havent been on the forum for a few days!
I'll definitely take into account all your fantastic advise, and will let the vets know if I feel something's wrong when I get them home. The spaying is tomorrow, so worried for them but will feel much better once they're done :(

Good luck for them both, and calm nerves for you :wave:

They're done! Surgery went fantastic, got em home and one of them was a lot drowsier than the other. Have to assist feed them cause they wouldnt eat at the vets, they're not eating their pellets yet but have had a drink and eat some grass. They havent even tried the carrots yet!
Sleeping loads and haven't pooped yet not sure if this is normal or not? It's been two hours since they first had some of the porridge like food. They're in my room tonight!

db26901dfbbfb649beb0344d0cc84155.jpg

Hope your bunnies recover well after their op. They will mostly want to rest tonight but if they have eaten some grass that is very good sign. Don't worry yet about lack of poops :thumb:

Back