• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hoppy is a boy! And newly neutered

HarrytheHop

Young Bun
Took Hoppy to the new vet today, who confirmed he is, in fact, a boy. He was happy to castrate him today, which I was pleased to get over and done with. I was a bit shocked at the cost though - £125 including meds.
I've just brought him home and he looks thoroughly fed up, although he managed a dandelion leaf and fenugreek crunchie and has had a wee. Going to keep him in for the next couple of days.
Have to take him back to be checked on Monday by the rabbit expert nurse. Apparently she doesn't believe in pairing rabbits up, so they should be an interesting meeting as that is exactly what I want to do!

Took Hoppy to the new vet today, who confirmed he is, in fact, a boy. He was happy to castrate him today, which I was pleased to get over and done with. I was a bit shocked at the cost though - £125 including meds.
I've just brought him home and he looks thoroughly fed up, although he managed a dandelion leaf and fenugreek crunchie and has had a wee. Going to keep him in for the next couple of days.
Have to take him back to be checked on Monday by the rabbit expert nurse. Apparently she doesn't believe in pairing rabbits up, so they should be an interesting meeting as that is exactly what I want to do!

:shock: some expert :shock:

:shock: some expert :shock:

Yeah. :roll: Maybe you could teach her a thing or 2 HarrytheHop? Casually slip into conversation that wildies would naturally live in a large colony...

Sounds like the op went nice and smoothly anyway! Lots of kisses and fenugreek crunchies and he'll be good as new (better, he won't be spraying everywhere!)

Already felt I knew slightly more than the vet. He asked if Hoppy had shown any hormonal behaviour and I told him about the buzzing and circling and he said he didn't know rabbit's did that!
Also seemed surprised he was litter trained and looked at me like I was a crazy rabbit lady when I told him about the playhouse/run combo, as well as the indoor pen to house him through recovery.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Hoppy.:thumb:

As for bunnies being bonded ................it all depends on you knowing you bunny, how happy he ultimately is...and if he is not happy...please consider bonding him...with a fully health checked bunny from a rescue.

Vets are great.... to a certain extent, please go with your gut instinct....it rarely will be wrong.:thumb:

Vets are great.... to a certain extent, please go with your gut instinct....it rarely will be wrong.:thumb:
Felt the same about my vets: the rabbit-savvy vet is great, the rest including the enthusiastic but not necessarily knowledgeable nurses, not so great! Advice on me bonding with him? Feed lots of carrots... ;P Lopsy came home with a cone on but didn't immediately attack his wound when I took it off :D I was also surprised when I asked about fees: just be grateful he wasn't a lady, I thought! And he won't need neutering again :)

i think the cost sounds about right :oops: :lol: glad the neuter went well.

shocked at the so called rabbit expert nurse :shock: if you're vets aren't exotics then i'd seriously consider changing. :wave:

I'd been quoted half as much by other vet, who I lost confidence with as couldn't tell Hoppy's sex and suggested opening him up as he was 99% sure he was a girl!
When I start phoning round rescues, I'll try to get vet recommendations from them.
Hoppy seems to be doing ok. He managed to spill his water bowl over and tramped water all around indoor enclosure so has a bit of a wet bum, but weeing and pooing fine and having some food, although not back to his usual appetite. Wound looks clean. He's still a bit subdued though, so I'll keep him in for another night at least

Back