• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long should I give things?

RT

Young Bun
I posted a couple of weeks ago about my 7yo lion head lop cross who appeared to have an infection.

The septrin appeared to work and then about 5 days after his final dose I suspected he was getting ill again. It was only minor things but after 8 days off antibiotics we started him on baytril on Saturday afternoon.

This was a big mistake. Ever since he will happily eat herbs and green veg but nothing else and he normally loves his hay. I took him to the vets last night having stopped the baytril. Despite an injection to get his GI going there is no improvement on the eating front. He is clearly hungry was he is eating unlimited herbs and green veg but his poos are tiny and he has no interest in pellets or much hay.

I started injecting cepotrex today. What I want to now is how quickly might this work? I was thinking of giving him 3 days and seeing if things have improved by Thursday. He is not himself and I don't want to think he is suffering but equally, he improved so much on the septrin that I want to give him a chance.

Many thanks.

what was the infection you suspected...what were his symptoms?

Also how long was the dose of septrin given for?

I suspect its somewhere in his head as he has had runny eyes and sometimes you can hear him breathing. Its like he is breathing out loudly. There isn't anything wrong with his teeth or chest and they have been checked by 2 vets a few times.

First dose was for a week. There was then a 6 day gap and when I went back for a check up the vet supplied another 2 week dose as a just in case measure.

I suspect its somewhere in his head as he has had runny eyes and sometimes you can hear him breathing. Its like he is breathing out loudly. There isn't anything wrong with his teeth or chest and they have been checked by 2 vets a few times.

First dose was for a week. There was then a 6 day gap and when I went back for a check up the vet supplied another 2 week dose as a just in case measure.

A week is seldom long enough in cases of upper respiratory tract infections.Often a course of at least 14 days is needed. Sometimes even longer. Has he had Xrays to assess his tooth roots ? Tooth root elongation can cause upper respiratory tract symptoms and anorexia (due to pain). Tooth root elongation cannot be diagnosed just by looking at the Rabbit's teeth.

Is he receiving a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam ?

No he hasn't has x-rays. I've asked both vets about tooth root issues and they don't think he has that as he doesn't have gunky eye discharge and they can't feel anything.

All he has got is a once a day ceporex injection and pro biotics for his water. No metacam or anything else.

No he hasn't has x-rays. I've asked both vets about tooth root issues and they don't think he has that as he doesn't have gunky eye discharge and they can't feel anything.

All he has got is a once a day ceporex injection and pro biotics for his water. No metacam or anything else.

His symptoms do sound to be very much like those associated with TRE. You said he did/does have 'runny eyes'........

I would suggest asking for him to have some Metacam to see if his eating improves once on analgesia. Going off hard food/hay, having runny eyes and a snuffly nose are all classic 'tooth root issues' symptoms. Add to that his breed and age then there is more grounds to suspect TRE.

His symptoms do sound to be very much like those associated with TRE. You said he did/does have 'runny eyes'........

I would suggest asking for him to have some Metacam to see if his eating improves once on analgesia. Going off hard food/hay, having runny eyes and a snuffly nose are all classic 'tooth root issues' symptoms. Add to that his breed and age then there is more grounds to suspect TRE.

Thanks. Would I expect any improvement via the ceporex and if so, how long might that take to work?

Thanks. Would I expect any improvement via the ceporex and if so, how long might that take to work?

It depends if the bacteria involved are sensitive to cefalexin (ceporex) If it is going to be of benefit then there should be some improvement after 3-4 doses. It is important to continue treatment for several days AFTER clinical symptoms resolve to insure the bacteria have all been eradicated.

The sudden loss of appetite started a few hours after starting the Baytril. There were no appetite problems prior to this at all! He had 2 doses of Baytril buy nothing since Sunday now. If the GI issues were Baytril related and not due to infection, how long might this take to resolve?

The sudden loss of appetite started a few hours after starting the Baytril. There were no appetite problems prior to this at all! He had 2 doses of Baytril buy nothing since Sunday now. If the GI issues were Baytril related and not due to infection, how long might this take to resolve?

It depends on what the exact GI tract issues were/are. Just 'not eating' does not really provide enough information. But if the loss of appetite was solely due to the Baytril I would expect it to resolve within 24 hours of the last dose. Unless more serious gut issues developed-ie diarrhoea.

It depends on what the exact GI tract issues were/are. Just 'not eating' does not really provide enough information. But if the loss of appetite was solely due to the Baytril I would expect it to resolve within 24 hours of the last dose. Unless more serious gut issues developed-ie diarrhoea.

Yes I thought it would be a 24 hr thing if just due to Baytril. He quite happily eats greens, herbs, dandelions, broccoli and herbal forage. He even asks for more after having these items bbut he is barely touching hay and certainly not pellets. I have been avoiding fruit and carrots. Is there anything else I can give him?

Last edited:
Yes I thought it would be a 24 hr thing if just due to Baytril. He quite happily eats greens, herbs, dandelions, broccoli and herbal forage. He even asks for more after having these items bbut he is barely touching hay and certainly not pellets. I have been avoiding fruit and carrots. Is there anything else I can give him? Xxx

I think getting him on some Metacam may be useful

You could try softening his pelleted feed by soaking it in boiled water. Is he used to eating grass ? If so then try offering some of that.

What is his poo output like and is he drinking ?

I think getting him on some Metacam may be useful

You could try softening his pelleted feed by soaking it in boiled water. Is he used to eating grass ? If so then try offering some of that.

What is his poo output like and is he drinking ?

He is pooing but they are smaller than normal. He doesn't drbk much but he has drunk a normal amount for him. I was giving grass but stopped as wasn't sure if it was too rich. I did pput some softened pellets under his nose and he seemed interested but then refused to eat them. Its so frustrating as I didn't expect much when we started treatment then he got so much better I forgot he had been I'll for a couple of weeks.

Will try and get an appointment for metacam. If no improvement in appetite within a couple of days I guess this isn't sustainable for long is it?

He is pooing but they are smaller than normal. He doesn't drbk much but he has drunk a normal amount for him. I was giving grass but stopped as wasn't sure if it was too rich. I did pput some softened pellets under his nose and he seemed interested but then refused to eat them. Its so frustrating as I didn't expect much when we started treatment then he got so much better I forgot he had been I'll for a couple of weeks.

Will try and get an appointment for metacam. If no improvement in appetite within a couple of days I guess this isn't sustainable for long is it?

The Vet needs to establish exactly why he has such a reduced appetite. It is way too soon to lose hope, especially as you say he is keen for and eating softer foods.

It may be that he also needs ongoing gut motility medication as opposed to just having the one off dose. Fluids are really important too as once the GI tract motility is reduced the gut contents quickly become dehydrated and impactions can occur, especially in the cecum. So I would expect the Vet to carry out a very thorough abdominal examination aswell as an oral one. I would try to get him seen today if possible as the longer the problem with gut motility goes on the bigger issue it becomes.

A sad update to this thread unfortunately. I did get another vets appointment but in the end we had to have Gerrard PTS. The base of his ears had swollen and in the end he almost stopped eating completely.

Thanks for the advice. I have learnt to go back to the vets at even the smallest change, even if you feel that you are fussing. In Gerrard's case it was the small things that turned out to be important and we probably got another couple of months from him because we were being vigilent.

Thanks everyone. The house has been so quiet without him and its been so very sad. He was a great character and the vet was very sorry as well as he has looked after him for nearly 7 years x

Back