• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is 3.5 weeks too soon?

Mr Cookie

Banned
I loved him. Im still shedding the odd tear.

I cant replace him. I never had kids.. he was my boy. But the house is so empty...

Is it too soon for another?

Im not ready. But...

Maybe im just trying to replace something that cant be replaced..

But hey.. im a big soft guy that just loves bunnies.

I lost my first bun and then jumped into getting my second very quickly. I just needed to feel a bun in my arms.

I dont regret getting Rolo, but perhaps I should have waited.

Sending a big hug from us both.

x

I lost my first bun and then jumped into getting my second very quickly. I just needed to feel a bun in my arms.

I dont regret getting Rolo, but perhaps I should have waited.

Sending a big hug from us both.

x

How long did you have your first?

Im not ready. But...

Maybe im just trying to replace something that cant be replaced..

But hey.. im a big soft guy that just loves bunnies.

If you're not ready for another bun just now, and you've said that, then don't get one.

Ask a local rescue if you can help by fostering one, or go and help out for a few hours a week at a bunny rescue. I did that for years, and it was brilliant! Not only did I make some lovely new friends, but I got to meet all the bunnies, hug and groom them, clean them out ... :love:

I wish I had thought of helping out at a rescue after Buttons died. I only waited 10 days to get Rolo.

Im sure you will do what is best for you in your own time.

x

Big Hugs xx

Nothing will ever replace Cookie but there is nothing that can replace the love and warmth of holding a bunny. I have to admit that when I have lost a bunny, I have adopted new bunnies pretty soon after losing one but that is usually because there is a widowed bunny left behind who is grieving and lonely. I can say that for the widowed bunny and for myself, a new bunny brings new life and new meaning and although we never forget the dead bunny we do manage to make our way out of the grief and live again. I think that it would not hurt at all to have a new bunny or bunnies. Maybe go to a rescue and adopt a pair that have already been bonded. Then you will have two little bunnies to love x

I would probably go for it - a bonded pair from a rescue, perhaps? It would be different if, prior to this, you had already decided you weren't ever going to have another rabbit. Certainly not trying to replace the rabbit you have lost, but nothing wrong (as I see it) in lessening your pain and offering a new home to a pair stuck in a rescue.

Big Hugs xx

Nothing will ever replace Cookie but there is nothing that can replace the love and warmth of holding a bunny. I have to admit that when I have lost a bunny, I have adopted new bunnies pretty soon after losing one but that is usually because there is a widowed bunny left behind who is grieving and lonely. I can say that for the widowed bunny and for myself, a new bunny brings new life and new meaning and although we never forget the dead bunny we do manage to make our way out of the grief and live again. I think that it would not hurt at all to have a new bunny or bunnies. Maybe go to a rescue and adopt a pair that have already been bonded. Then you will have two little bunnies to love x

:thumb: We posted at the same time . . . with very similar thoughts.

Is it really bad just to have one? Mine was very content and im home a lot.

I think it's fine to keep a bunny alone once it's an indoor bun and gets plenty of attention,space, and enrichment opportunities.

I'm so sorry for your loss xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Is it really bad just to have one? Mine was very content and im home a lot.

It's just that generally they love having a partner of the opposite sex . . . and there's nothing quite like seeing a pair of bonded bunnies snuggling up together and grooming each other. You must, of course, do what is best for you and the rabbit concerned, there is no right or wrong.

Maybe a visit to a rescue would help you judge how you feel about getting another bun right now. There will be a bun or two out there that needs someone as caring as you to make their life as good as it can be.

Cookie will always be your special bun and nothing will change that xxxxx

My Harvey died 9 days ago :( I miss him terribly :( he left behind his partner Lilly, they were ridiculously in love and she grieved for a week but has now come back to her normal cheery self luckily. I spent this weekend just gone calling around and visiting rescues to find a suitable boy for Lilly to be paired with, so I've gone for even sooner! Although I won't be able to get the boy straight away as we need to find a suitable time for the rescue to bond Lilly and her prospective mate.

For me I desperately wanted Lilly to have a friend, she's doing fine on her own now and to any outsider they'd think she was enjoying life to its best, but I saw her with a Harvey, I saw the difference it made having a friend, someone to cuddle whenever I was out and someone to reassure her when there were loud noises or something "scary", they followed each other a lot and played together, Lilly is definitely struggling to play now she has no one to play with whenever she wants to. In my opinion rabbits are meant to have other rabbit company, they are social creatures who need company, human company is great to lots of them but it's not quite the same as you don't speak their language and do weird human behaviours that they don't understand! I'd really recommend getting two, not only is it best for them, but it's also amazing to see bunny love as an owner! I had Harvey by himself at first and the change for the better in him after I got Lilly was amazing! He still remained soppy and friendly and cuddly with me too of course!

If you really think you can only get one, and you'll be able to give them lots and lots of attention, then there are some rabbits who have rabbit-to-rabbit aggression or specific disabilities or illnesses which make them unsuitable to be paired with other rabbits. These do come up in rescues, but I don't know how often! You'd have to ask around rescues to find one, but I think it'd be much nicer to have a single rabbit who has to be single rather than a single rabbit who is being denied company of it's own species

Regarding it being too soon for you, I'm getting a bunny very soon partly for Lilly's sake, but also for my sake. For me it feels weird having such a quiet living room with only one bunny, looking into getting a new rabbit has allowed me to focus on something rather than just the sadness, also I know Harvey was lovely and it is honouring him to allow a rabbit in need of a home into his home. I have however struggled emotionally a bit with it, but overall I know that me finding a bunny friend for Lilly this fast is best for me

I hope you can work out what is best for you, sorry you lost your bunny :( I know how horribly painful that is :(

I guess thats why he groomed me a lot. Always licking me.

:love: He sounds like he was a lovely boy.

I have two single girls who are quite happy alone. They hate other rabbits and love humans best. They are both licky however some of my bunnies in pairs are licky too. I find that comes down to individual temperament. Going to a rescue to meet potential bunnies is a really nice idea. If you can sit with them and see how friendly they are towards you, that might be the nicest thing.

When I've lost pets, I've always felt the need to be around my remaining animals, or any others I can find - it often leads to me spending more time volunteering at rescues!

Maybe it would be of comfort to you to find a way to be near animals, without necessarily comitting to another just yet.

Or, you could visit a rescue and see if any rabbit "chooses" you, and how you feel about adopting him or her. You'll know when the right one turns up.

With regards to keeping them singly, it is possible, and they can be very happy. But personally I always try to keep pairs where possible. They look so content curled up together and I've never found them to be less affectionate towards me as a result. I know I wouldn't like it if I didn't see another member of my own species for the rest of my life - although possibly that's too much of an anthropomorphic way of thinking, I'm not sure.

It's a horrid feeling isn't it? I lost my beautiful 10yo house rabbit in May. I still think about him all the time. I wish and wish I could get another couple of buns but it just wouldn't work for so many reasons. I miss my old boys very much though.

How about a looking at a different species? That might feel less like you're trying to replace him? Gerbils are awesome, or rats maybe?

I think you should make sure you are healthy enough in mind and body, possibly not grieving any more before getting another bunny. You said you hadn't replaced the water for 7 days for your previous bunny, so be sure you feel able to commit to their welfare.

Back