• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

16 Years Ago Today

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I had to say farewell to my Border Collie X, Gemma. She was 15 and a half and she had senile dementia which eventually robbed her of any quality of life. But prior to that she had a very full and happy life travelling with us all over the UK and Shetland Islands on planes and boats and trains, cars, coaches and camper vans !! She was the perfect dog in every way :love:

I had to say farewell to my Border Collie X, Gemma. She was 15 and a half and she had senile dementia which eventually robbed her of any quality of life. But prior to that she had a very full and happy life travelling with us all over the UK and Shetland Islands on planes and boats and trains, cars, coaches and camper vans !! She was the perfect dog in every way :love:

She's beautiful, I do have a love for collies. x

She was beautiful Jane, that top photo is amazing, the beach looks so tropical and the waters so blue. I can imagine she must have loved that.

Such a beauty. :love: I still can't get over her likeness to Ebon...with the exception that Gemma had legs made for running...Ebon is a short stack and while she can put on speed at times, she is so stubby looking when she does. :roll:

I have dearly loved all my animal companions in my lifetime but there really is, to me, no love like that of a devoted dog. I have only realized this in the last few years as I've spent a lot of my days being a cat person until recently...but no matter what kind of animals I've shared my life with, I keep coming back to the dog, eventually.

My OH actually can't wait to get the girls into the surf at the beach when we finally move. He knows there will be no end of seagull chasing/kelp eating/sand digging/seawater snorting from Ebon. I think Jenna will simply be begging me to pick her up the whole time. :lol:

Sending you ((((((gentle hugs))))))) on this wistful day. xxxxxxxx

She was so intelligent and extremely gentle :love:

We had a collie who was there as a puppy when my parents brought me home as a baby. Cassy was her name, she was the most lovely dog ever, she was so gentle around me as a baby and when we were kids wouldn't go near us, I'm not sure why. :? But when I was about 5-6 years old, she just walked up to me and sat down and let me stroke her for ages. From then on we were best friends. I like to think that she knew we were too little and waited until we were older to interact with us. She was VERY intelligent. Also she was the worlds best ''bee hunter'' the amount of times she got stung on her tongue and mouth from snapping them out of the air :roll: but she still did it over and over. :lol:

She was 18 when she died. She had been poorly for a week or so then eventually suffered a stroke. I remember saying goodbye to her. I still cry about it today! :roll:

They affect our lives a lot. :D It took us two years to ever face another dog again. My mum thought that beccause we'd gotton Cassy from a farm we should do the same again. But boy was she wrong :lol: Cassy wasn't your typical ''farm dog'' she was totally unlike any farm dog I've ever met. Wintsone however, HE'S a typical farm dog :roll:

He's noisy, he only loves his family, he thinks he owns the place, he barks at the front door, he won't allow any strangers in his house :roll: but he's lovely and he's the softest dog in the world when it comes to us.

Last edited:
Back