• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not happy with Freddie's poops (resolved)

luna

Mama Doe
I have noticed that freddies poops are not looking the best today. First of all I noticed he hadnt done many so I broke his strict cage rest to get his gut moving and he seems really happy. He went back in and did these poops

6a7y6esy.jpg

muda4ehu.jpg

I also gave him some grass to get things moving which he hadn't had in two days so that could explain it.

I have since seen some normal poops so that is good I guess.

Any idea why his poo's are like this ? Could it be the metacam or the cage rest ?

He is bearing weight on that leg today but I am wary of getting excited incase it is only the metacam and when he comes off it he might deteriorate again :/

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Hi Luna

I personally don't think it's the metacam or the cage rest. Possibly keep an eye on him and see if/when they go back to normal.
Is he enjoying the grass? Any change in diet could contribute to some misshapen poos, but his don't look too bad right now.

I'm glad he's putting a bit of weight on the leg - get some muscle tone back.

Hope you're bearing up with it all :wave:

Last edited:
I have noticed that freddies poops are not looking the best today. First of all I noticed he hadnt done many so I broke his strict cage rest to get his gut moving and he seems really happy. He went back in and did these poops

6a7y6esy.jpg

muda4ehu.jpg

I also gave him some grass to get things moving which he hadn't had in two days so that could explain it.

I have since seen some normal poops so that is good I guess.

Any idea why his poo's are like this ? Could it be the metacam or the cage rest ?

He is bearing weight on that leg today but I am wary of getting excited incase it is only the metacam and when he comes off it he might deteriorate again :/

Looks as though his gut motility has been effected, possibly a combination of less exercise, Metacam (which can occasionally cause minor GI tract disturbances) and perhaps eating a bit too much grass. I would hold off giving him any more grass for a couple of days and try to encourage him to eat as much hay as possible. If his poos do not return to normal within the next 48 hours I'd have a word with the Vet. Obviously if they get worse and/or if he goes off his food you need to contact the Vet straight away.

I hope his poorly leg heals quickly xx

Hi Luna

I personally don't think it's the metacam or the cage rest. Possibly keep an eye on him and see if/when they go back to normal.
Is he enjoying the grass? Any change in diet could contribute to some misshapen poos, but his don't look too bad right now.

I'm glad he's putting a bit of weight on the leg - get some muscle tone back.

Hope you're bearing up with it all :wave:

Yep he loves the grass. It really perked him up. I'm relieved he is walking better on that leg too:) xx

Looks as though his gut motility has been effected, possibly a combination of less exercise, Metacam (which can occasionally cause minor GI tract disturbances) and perhaps eating a bit too much grass. I would hold off giving him any more grass for a couple of days and try to encourage him to eat as much hay as possible. If his poos do not return to normal within the next 48 hours I'd have a word with the Vet. Obviously if they get worse and/or if he goes off his food you need to contact the Vet straight away.

I hope his poorly leg heals quickly xx

Thanks Jane , I hope so too! His poops have been normal since I first posted which I'm glad of. I think the ten sneaky mins out of his cage might have helped ( his mood if anything) xx

My girl Caireann self imposes cage rest on herself from time to time, she's very timid and sometimes decides to take herself off into hiding for a day or two (the hay loft) and I notice that her poops can go a bit odd / small when this happens, also after she's had a fright or been stressed about something like going to the vets or having her nails trimmed. She usually rights herself within a day though. Hope that wee man's ok, he's having a tough time of it lately! Must be stressful on you too!

Ps I love RU so much!! Where else can you show pics of, and get into in depth discussion about, rabbit poops without someone calling in the white coats!! It's great :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been out of the house since 11 am when I had done freddies full clean. I am just in the door ....

There is not one single poop in 5 hours :(

Last edited:
I have been out of the house since 11 am when I had done freddies full clean. I am just in the door ....

There is not one single poop in 5 hours :(

Is he still having to be caged ? If so let him have a gentle hop about.

Is he still having to be caged ? If so let him have a gentle hop about.

Crisis averted ... he went into his litter box for a much and when he moved there were about twenty of them. Lol :) Big, round and healthy too. Yay !!!

My girl Caireann self imposes cage rest on herself from time to time, she's very timid and sometimes decides to take herself off into hiding for a day or two (the hay loft) and I notice that her poops can go a bit odd / small when this happens, also after she's had a fright or been stressed about something like going to the vets or having her nails trimmed. She usually rights herself within a day though. Hope that wee man's ok, he's having a tough time of it lately! Must be stressful on you too!

Ps I love RU so much!! Where else can you show pics of, and get into in depth discussion about, rabbit poops without someone calling in the white coats!! It's great :)

Hehe ...I know what you mean :) I'm glad we got chatting on pinterest and you found RU.

Did you get all your buns from assissi ? xx

I know I'm so glad too, although it is enabling my crazy bunny woman behaviour somewhat :D

Three of my current four came from Assisi and Bobert came from P@H adoption centre - I didn't plan on adopting him; I just asked a question about him and the lady had him boxed up so fast it made my head spin!!! And then I just couldn't say no! I hate those guys!! I wish they didn't sell pets!!! Although I'm very thankful for Bobert; he's like my fluffy baby substitute lol!

I know I'm so glad too, although it is enabling my crazy bunny woman behaviour somewhat :D

Three of my current four came from Assisi and Bobert came from P@H adoption centre - I didn't plan on adopting him; I just asked a question about him and the lady had him boxed up so fast it made my head spin!!! And then I just couldn't say no! I hate those guys!! I wish they didn't sell pets!!! Although I'm very thankful for Bobert; he's like my fluffy baby substitute lol!

A few years back we used to make a trip up north to pets at home every six months to get supplies for the piggies and bunnies. It was near Bangor .

With the exchange rate it made more sense to do it this way. I loved it. I didn't realize at the time that the pets weren't very well cared for. We used to fill up our boot and back seat !!!

I now use different suppliers and buy online :)

Last edited:
Hey mandmcc! I am from northern ireland also and 3 of my buns came from assisi too !! They look after them so well there dont they and Cerys is great if u need any help. I have an agouti bun too called Rosie who looks like obe of ur buns.Not many NI people on here. Sorry Luna for hijacking thread. Glad Freddies poos are normal again. I know i am like some poo perv looking into their litter tray every day too. But it's amazing how poo size can alert u to something else wrong.

Hey mandmcc! I am from northern ireland also and 3 of my buns came from assisi too !! They look after them so well there dont they and Cerys is great if u need any help. I have an agouti bun too called Rosie who looks like obe of ur buns.Not many NI people on here. Sorry Luna for hijacking thread. Glad Freddies poos are normal again. I know i am like some poo perv looking into their litter tray every day too. But it's amazing how poo size can alert u to something else wrong.

Iv also had dealings with Cerys. She is lovely :) I was going to adopt a beautiful BEW called Peter a few months ago. It wasn't the right time though xx

Oh that's great u were gonna consider an Assisi bunny from so far away. Pity there weren't more places like Assisi for bunnies.

A few years back we used to make a trip up north to pets at home every six months to get supplies for the piggies and bunnies. It was near Bangor .

With the exchange rate it made more sense to do it this way. I loved it. I didn't realize at the time that the pets weren't very well cared for. We used to fill up our boot and back seat !!!

I now use different suppliers and buy online :)

I'd love to find an alternative, it downright depresses me but I must admit there's some satisfaction to filling the boot (and back seats) every month)for all my animal posse lol!

Hello! Yay the nordies lol!! Yes Cerys is great, she's a lovely lady and really cares about the rabbits in her care! It's heart breaking that people aren't more aware of what it really means to adopt! She was telling me the other week that for every rabbit they have in residence there's four or five more waiting to come in!! We're very lucky to have such a quality place so close by :)

Also; yay to all us poop pervs lol!

I'd love to find an alternative, it downright depresses me but I must admit there's some satisfaction to filling the boot (and back seats) every month)for all my animal posse lol!

Hehe ...you do the same so ?!

I buy everything in bulk.

I get my food pellets , disinfectant and readigrass from feedyourpet.ie .... my hay, toys and dried forage from the hay experts and my wood pellet litter and more forage and toys from zooplus if I need them :)

When getting my hay order I order as many as they will let me as the delivery is £19. That usually works out at 8 bags. It still works out cheaper than buying in Ireland ( this part of ireland anyway) !!!

My buns love the deans hay and it doesn't make me sneeze which is always a plus :)

I need to get my head around shopping online! The £19 delivery sounds a bit steep though!! Aside from the animal peddling, P@H just don't offer enough choice for the discerning rabbit lol! I shall definitely check out those websites. I've been spoiled this summer with lots of rabbit treats from various small holdings / allotments from work colleagues so there's been plenty of branches, herbs and veg! I want to do more more more bulk buying (and get a shed to put it all in) and more more more growing my own stuff. Will try more of that out next year :)

Back