• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My little wildlife water feature

bunniemum

Mama Doe
Back in the Spring I decided to have a go at making a little wildlife water feature out of an old tin bath tub I found. I lined it with an off-cut of pond liner that I got for a couple of quid off ebay, added some small rocks, an oxygenating plant, a dwarf water lily (another ebay bargain :)) and a solar powered pump. For the first 5-6 weeks it resembled a yukky pea green soup, but eventually it settled and the water cleared..

...then yesterday I was so amazed and delighted to discover that I had gained a passing visitor :D

Oh how lovely!! Does that mean you'll have lots of lovely froggies in the future to eat all your garden pests? :wave:

Oh how lovely!! Does that mean you'll have lots of lovely froggies in the future to eat all your garden pests? :wave:

:wave: Aww thank you. Well, I'm not sure he will be around for much longer as he will soon be hibernating, but it will be nice if I get some toadie eggs next spring :D

Awesome! I love toads, we used to get a lot but they are quite rare now just tons of frogs. Really need job on the DIY too!

Just a suggestion... add something in it to help anything that falls in get out e.g. a ramp or little shelf near the edge. Some animals will stop for a drink and fall in and then with the lips on artificial tubs/ponds they can't walk out.

Building the soil up around the base for over winter will help stop it freezing all the way though :)

Awesome! I love toads, we used to get a lot but they are quite rare now just tons of frogs. Really need job on the DIY too!

Just a suggestion... add something in it to help anything that falls in get out e.g. a ramp or little shelf near the edge. Some animals will stop for a drink and fall in and then with the lips on artificial tubs/ponds they can't walk out.

Building the soil up around the base for over winter will help stop it freezing all the way though :)

There are some little rocks next to him stacked on a larger slab, that is resting against the side of the tub that I put there if any thing fell in. But maybe I'll make a ramp for him as well, incase he's not worked it out yet!!.. though I haven't seen him today.

And thanks for the tip re building up the soil over winter, that's handy to know :D

Last edited:
Aw I actually think frogs are cute. We gets lots in my mum's garden because we're by the river. She says she doesn't like them because they hop about :lol: We have to rescue them from the dog, he follows them around and badgers them.

Back