• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cage rest question

luna

Mama Doe
Freddie is currently in a 120 x 80 cm pen and is on cage rest.

Rosie is in a 4 ft x 6 ft enclosure. If I swapped them around would the larger space be considered too large for cage rest.

I was thinking of giving Rosie the smaller pen with access to the upstairs landing.

Just wondering what your opinions are ? I would block off the levels in the large enclosure so freddie wouldn't be jumping.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Freddie is currently in a 120 x 80 cm pen and is on cage rest.

Rosie is in a 4 ft x 6 ft enclosure. If I swapped them around would the larger space be considered too large for cage rest.

I was thinking of giving Rosie the smaller pen with access to the upstairs landing.

Just wondering what your opinions are ? I would block off the levels in the large enclosure so freddie wouldn't be jumping.

George is in a 150 x 80 cage for his 'rest' with short, daily supervised time out to keep gut mobility going. My vet seemed to think anymore would mean he'd over do it. But then George has got ligament damage and If you don't think his leg is as bad maybe a bit more space might be good for him?
You know him the best :)

George is in a 150 x 80 cage for his 'rest' with short, daily supervised time out to keep gut mobility going. My vet seemed to think anymore would mean he'd over do it. But then George has got ligament damage and If you don't think his leg is as bad maybe a bit more space might be good for him?
You know him the best :)

Come to think of it the whole twitch around would probably cause unnecessary stress for everyone so I'm going to leave it.

I feel so sorry for freddie , he looks fed up and depressed.there is not much activity going on in his cage at all. He seems in a bit of a slump. Tomorrow evening his strict cage rest will be coming to an end so I hope there is some improvement by then.

It's hard to see them all cooped up isn't it ? I miss freddies company and seeing him potter about :(

When Moles was on cage rest I was so worried about him getting bored I was convinced he would slump into a pit of depression but he didn't and he was cooped up for 8 weeks, in fact now that he is back home, his dog crate has stayed with him as its his safety area and he loves sleeping and washing in it.. I thought he would hate it :lol:
I knowing seems hard but you really have to be strong and tell yourself it's for the best in the long run, which it most definitely is :thumb:

When Moles was on cage rest I was so worried about him getting bored I was convinced he would slump into a pit of depression but he didn't and he was cooped up for 8 weeks, in fact now that he is back home, his dog crate has stayed with him as its his safety area and he loves sleeping and washing in it.. I thought he would hate it :lol:
I knowing seems hard but you really have to be strong and tell yourself it's for the best in the long run, which it most definitely is :thumb:

Thanks for that reassurance :) Did you have any issues or concerns with gut motility from the lack of exercise?

That's ok I know how it feels and it's really hard to be strong and not give them the extra freedom.

I had no problems and Moley is a stasis bun :(, I kept his fibre content high, grass everyday and lots of fibre sticks and brambles, and loads of grooming. Seemed to do the trick!!! :thumb:

How is Freddie coping today?

That's ok I know how it feels and it's really hard to be strong and not give them the extra freedom.

I had no problems and Moley is a stasis bun :(, I kept his fibre content high, grass everyday and lots of fibre sticks and brambles, and loads of grooming. Seemed to do the trick!!! :thumb:

How is Freddie coping today?

He is good today. I am going to let him out of his cage for ten mins this evening as recommended by the vet and observe his gait. He finished his metacam last night and he is bearing more weight on that leg now.

Fingers crossed xx

He is good today. I am going to let him out of his cage for ten mins this evening as recommended by the vet and observe his gait. He finished his metacam last night and he is bearing more weight on that leg now.

Fingers crossed xx

Ooh hope Freddie does well! Stay good Freddie :wave:

Glad that Freddie is doing better :). Just seen your thread about the poo I hope it's not my fault, because I said about the grass :(

Glad that Freddie is doing better :). Just seen your thread about the poo I hope it's not my fault, because I said about the grass :(

Of course it's not your fault. He has been getting grass since he came to us but I hadn't given it to him for couple of days. I'm not sure what caused it to be honest.

He has had a couple of episodes like that and always comes right by evening time xx

Back