• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting mats out of fur

Lisa F

Mama Doe
I've noticed that my buns have some mats in the fur around their bums. They are a bit fluffy and the anti fly-strike spray probably hasn't helped. The problem is, being rescue buns, they absolutely freak out if you try to restrain them, let alone pick them up so I have no idea now to go about sorting this out :?

The only way is to handle them to gently comb the mats out or if the mats are very felted up they may need to be clipped out. If they are that bad about being handled then you could arrange to have them de-matted at the Vets. Otherwise you could ask someone else to help you. Wrap each Rabbit up firmly in a towel with just their nose poking out at one end and their bum at the other. One person holds bun on their lap with bun facing toward them. Other person works on getting the mats out.

I've had my girls since they were babies and they freak out if you try and restrain them too, it's a natural reaction for rabbits so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I agree with Jane, it's probably best to get an extra pair of hands involved and wrap them up so they can't struggle too much. If they really hate being handled I wouldn't even try to tease the mats out, I'd just cut it all out. Mack gets matted around his bum and I find it easier to follow him around with a pair of scissors (the kind that spring open on their own) than I do to try and comb it out. Less stressful for both of us and he's got so much fur I'm sure he doesn't miss it.
You do have to be careful not to cut them though, obviously.

What I do with serious mats is put the comb in at the base of the fur, underneath the mat. Then I clip the mat that protrudes above the comb. That way you will not clip the skin.

Rabbit's skin is delicate, and some buns' skins tear incredibly easily, so be very careful about tugging a mat.

I have a pair of clippers, but you could ask a vet nurse at your surgery to help clip them off completely :D

Back