• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and dogs

pipsdwarf

New Kit
Hi, hoping someone can pass on some experiences here. We have a 4 year old lop, whose fairly chilled but like most rabbits will run at anything unexpected. The rest of my family want to get a dog (Lab/retriever cross), I think with a rabbit around it's a bad idea. However they think it's workable, as they should be able to be kept separate.
The rabbit lives in the shed, and when we are in, is generally out in the garden or comes indoors. Obviously this would take more watching with a dog around. Anyone brought a dog into a Rabbits world?. Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

I have 4 rabbits and 1 dog. I keep them totally seperate and I find it really easy to do as my buns are in the house and have a room each. Their doors are closed and I have a stairgate up in the hall so whilst Lilley dog can come upstairs and has access to our room and the bathroom she doesn't have access to the rest of upstairs where the buns are. We also make sure that when we are out Lilley is shut in a different room so to get to the buns she would have to get through 2 shut doors and over a stairgate!

She isn't really bothered by the buns and they aren't bothered by her, I knew that the sounds and smells didn't bother them before we got a dog as my parents visit with their dog. It may be worth getting someone with a dog to visit to see how your bun reacts to dogs being around.

Some buns really don't tolerate a. Dog in the environment very well and get very very stressed out by the smells and sounds. Likewise some dogs will not be able to get used to there being rabbits in the house and will try desperately to get to them. That behaviour may be trained out but in the meantime you have a traumatised bun.

It may also be sensible to only bring the bun in to free range in rooms the dog never has access to, I am currently bonding buns and all my neutral rooms are dog friendly rooms :roll: which means that we are having to shut the dog out of a room she normally goes in... Sad dog!

I have Foxy our house rabbit & 4 Cocker Spaniels & they all get on great. In fact, Foxy & Charlie are in love. I'll look for some of the photos & or videos.

I have two dogs that live in the house (and half the garden) and eight rabbits that have a shed/aivery set up in the other half of the garden.

Keeping them all separate works best for me although Jojo (labrador x) has been nose to nose through the bars with them before now and isnt really bothered (nor are they). Tass (collie) however is FASCINATED esp if they move. They all vanish as soon as she goes near which is why I now keep them all separated.

Back